T Nation

Randomness of Information

It seems like every day I have some random fitness or nutrition question pop into my head. Usually I forget it after a while because I can't find the answers to them. SO I am going to use this thread for that purpose because today I got was something that I think can push me to a much higher level... I just can't figure out if it's safe or not.

I read an article in the archives about the best workout this author had ever had. When he was just a kid some big biker guy walked in the door and said "Who wants to train legs with me?" Nobody said a work but the kid piped up and said "I will" and proceed to get his "Best workout ever." Said he could barley walk to his car after wards. And that training intensity is what I hear all over as a best workout is this that pretty much makes you feel handicapped for at lest a few hours if not longer.

This got me thinking, "I would totally trade like 6 weeks of pretty-damn-sore life for some decent size gains. But can I do it without going into serious over-train mode?"

If I were to take a simple split:

Day 1: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
Day 3: Back, Biceps, Legs

And used maybe a 5x7; pausing and squeezing the hell out of the muscle on the contraction, and a quick, but controlled eccentric motion; going as heavy as possible with 45sec rests, to try and achieve that deep muscle fiber tear.

It would suck, and I don't even know if I could handle being that sore for that long, but it would be interesting to know just how far you can push yourself. But is it safe....

You want to make good gains off training twice a week? Good luck. Try splitting up your bodyparts in a more efficient manner. Why not just give your idea a try? I can't think of any reason it wouldn't be safe unless your form is horrible. If you're not sore at least a few days a week, you're likely doing something wrong. If nothing else, the change in your workout would likely create some gains.

I was thinking at 100 mph and didn't say it right. That is the split but it would be every other day training. One day on, one day off, repeat. The last program I did was every other day and I really liked it. I also might go with a Mon, Wed, Fri schedule.

I'll have to do a bit more looking around to see what I actually want to do. I think I'll give it a try once I hash out the details just for shits and giggles. I've never actually "designed" a program before so this will be fun.

Maybe cycle around a bit: One week will be all machines, the next maybe just do anything with a barbell, and the next anything with a dumbbell.

Or maybe do a simplistic approach and just pick 2 or three movements per body-part and hammer the hell out of them.

Which kind of leads me to another question, if I'm going to do this, I'm going to give it my all so I want my nutrition to be in order also. Can anyone point me in the direction of an article, or at least some solid information on what I should be taking pre- peri- and post-workout?

I wish I had the bankroll for Anaconda but I just graduated college and I'm lucky to eat most of the time. Any info on what the body is actually looking for, carbs, protein, and fat, ect. during these times is what I want to know. I can come up with a nice little concoction for either a meal or a kick-ass shake. Hell, I'll just make both. Variety is always good.

; )

if your stats in your hub are true, id focus more on progression than on trying this. the hub says your 5'8'' and 143lbs but have been training for 3 years. you dont need some get rich quick scheme, you need 5/3/1 or some other proven program.

You may have found the best routine in the world, but THIS line reveals that your gains won't be what you expect.

@actionboy - Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for a get rich quick. I know how long these things take and what has to be done to meet said goals. My hub stats are a little off. I have been training for 3 years but only one of them have been really serious.

The first two were at college where I just kind of screwed around with whatever I felt like doing. This past year has been much more structured though. I've made some pretty decent gains that I am happy with for the moment. I just finished a 5 week program that focused on T.U.T. rather then reps and I really want something that is more balls-to-the-walls so I can kick up the intensity back to where I like it.

@IronDwarf - It's kind of cool having you posting on my thread man. I've read so much forum stuff by you. I'm kind of honored.

The eating thing I keep under control pretty good. I work as a cook and I eat all day long at work, no charge, and usually stop by my parents house on the way home and raid the fridge. Plus it's almost hunting season here in New York and soon the freezer will be packed with more venison, turkey, and squirrel then I will be able to eat in year.

So very soon I will have access to an ample source of good meat and veggies are cheap so I'll be set to make some real moves. I just looked it up and venison (deer meat for those of you who don't know), in a 3oz portion has 22g protein, 159 calories (63 from fats) and 0 carbs.

Alright, I have another question. I'm just going to keep using this thread so that I don't annoy the hell out of everyone by making a new thread every time I have a new question. And I have a lot of them.

I was reading some information about contest prep last night just to get an idea of how it works. I don't know anything about it so I'm starting with just what I can find in the forums here. One thing that caught my attention is the carb depletion, and then reintroducing them in high levels actually fills out the muscles. Why does this work?

How much of a visual difference does it make and does anyone have a picture of before and after the carbohydrates are reintorduced? If someone could point me in the direction of like a "Contest Prep 101" article I would appreciate it.

My real question, however, was this:

There are a lot of diets out there, including the Atkins diet I believe, that are centered around the low- to no-carb approach. Could the results that people see from these diets actually be associated with the muscle "shrinking" because of the low carbohydrates? And when someone goes off the diet and reintroduces carbohydrates back into their body's, the muscles get bigger, and people may think they are gaining the weight they "lost" back. Do these low-carb and no-carb diets even really work?

you have a long way to go before worrying about contest prep. instead of reading articles on how to lose weight, read articles on how to gain it.

I know I have a long way to go. I just enjoy reading about different things. I've always liked reading about stuff that I have a hard time understanding. Then, I can not only learn the pieces that I can understand, but I can look up the things that I don't and then I can learn even more. I'm an information hound and I always have been. Even if I never do use it. It's still good to know things like that in case I do decide to get on stage someday. It's easier to start looking at it in pieces now then decide to get on stage and have to rush to figure it all out.

errrrright. how bout you read some stuff on carb cycling for starters. use the search function.

It seems to me if you want to hit a muscle as intensely as possible you would want to do LESS muscles in a session, not more. How hard will you really be able to work your legs after you've done back and biceps???

To me this sounds like the best idea you had in this thread.

5/3/1 Boring But Big

See, that's why I don't think that 5/3/1 is such a good idea right now. I can't take boring very well. I think it might actually set off my zeal for training. If I had to pick a program, and I may very well at some point in the future,I would go with Starting Strength. It seems the most logical from all the programs I've read about. Simplistic in nature, but you can also push pretty hard with it. Also, you focus on the big three lifts and get a lot of practice with them.

Have you actually read what boring but big is?

Also, starting strength has won tons of accolades, you're a beginner and you'd benefit from it.

Hell, I probably should have started with that. I bet I'd be a lot further along if i had too. It just wasn't 'glamorous'.