T Nation

Random Thought: Being Homeless

If the situation ever arose to where it seemed like all was lost and you would be homeless for an extended period of time. How would you survive?

For instance, perhaps this is seriously flawed, but would you make your way out into the woods somewhere and basically do what our distant ancestors did? Build some shelter and hunt for food?

I realize in today’s world that poses many challenges to find such a place, but I would think it’s gotta be possible.

Or would you just simply be out on a sidewalk somewhere peddling for money?

Let’s take the, “I’d get a job” response out of it.

I’d do what the rest of the homeless do and head to San Diego.

Sit on an off ramp of a highway holding a sign with a old camo jacket sayin homeless vet need help.

Haha interesting question.

In theory I think living off the land would be the best but realistically it would just be too impractical. I think the only way to catch any sustainable quantity of meat would be going to a farm and killing livestock. Trapping rabbits etc has such a low reward rate and you’d never catch a deer without a gun/bow/awful lot of luck.

I think wild fruit/veg/mushrooms would be very hard to find and get enough of (and not poison yourself with). Also you have to remember humans evolved to work in groups to hunt and gather food. I don’t imagine we are particularly well designed to cope alone, with poor knowledge and the most basic (if any) tools.

I think I’d probably end up begging and eating out of supermarket bins. Here’s hoping it never comes to that.

I’d trust in the charity of friends and family.

Not that I’m one to ever ask for anything in a normal situation, but if karma serves well, then all I’ve done for others over the years deserves a good turn in my direction. Until I’m back on my feet again.

I would go to a shelter, get my shit together and start over.

For the survivalist aspect of the thread, I would absolutely sit on a corner. And since we are dropping reality, I’d enter a life of crime. You can pull a shit load more out of a city with a screwdriver than you can the wild, even if you, as a bum, can afford guns, poles and stuff.

And if I’m caught, free shelter, food and job placement upon release.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

Not that I’m one to ever ask for anything in a normal situation, but if karma serves well, then all I’ve done for others over the years deserves a good turn in my direction. Until I’m back on my feet again.

[/quote]

Guess I should have made it more clear. Would you try to live off the land or be on the corner, no family, no friends, nada.

An old friend of mine was homeless due to substance abuse. He went to a local mission to clean up and get his shit together. Once his shit was gotten together, they were impressed enough with him that they hired him as professional staff. Until he lost it again.

I would probably do the same, hopefully with a different ending.

On the foraging route- I could probably do fairly well. Mycology and other wild foods are a hobby of mine, as is fishing, and the deer population combined with their acclimation to people make them easy enough to walk up to and punch in the face. Lots of turkey too, but they are way harder to get. Their head is too low and they’re kinda dodgy.

I would solve crimes by day and murder hookers at night.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[/quote]

Guess I should have made it more clear. Would you try to live off the land or be on the corner, no family, no friends, nada.[/quote]

In that case I’d sit on a street corner in Philly, try to look presentable, and sell small, beautifully executed paintings to passers-by. At night I’d probably hole up in one of the local parks for sleep.

I would try and rob a bank! its a win/win situation
if you succeeded in robbing the bank, your rich!
if you get cought and go to jail, you still have a bed and three meals a day lol

[quote]Johnny T Frisk wrote:
I would solve crimes by day and murder hookers at night.[/quote]
After you Fuck them of course

[quote]bdocksaints75 wrote:

[quote]Johnny T Frisk wrote:
I would solve crimes by day and murder hookers at night.[/quote]
After you Fuck them of course[/quote]

OF COURSE!

live by water and eat fish.

[quote]Bangerangg18 wrote:

if you get cought and go to jail, you still have a bed and three meals a day lol[/quote]

Yeah, and sex too. Don’t forget the sex.

Live in the mountains or wilderness, always been something I wanted to do… although its not like I could realistically hunt and survive without proper tools and all that

Anybody without a serious skill set would be well advised to stay in town if they wanted to survive for any length of time. Picking up practical wilderness survival skills in real time by trial and error has a very low long term success rate.

Also are we removing social services, shelters etc from the equation or just friends and family?

I would cook meth and rob hookers

If I was homeless I would just call up my real estate agent and tell them I’m in the market for a house, preferably something available to move in today.

[quote]batman730 wrote:
Anybody without a serious skill set would be well advised to stay in town if they wanted to survive for any length of time. Picking up practical wilderness survival skills in real time by trial and error has a very low long term success rate.

Also are we removing social services, shelters etc from the equation or just friends and family?[/quote]

Yeah this is wjy I want to work on my survivalist skills, Not because of any worry about becoming homeless but just personal interest… Of course anyone being about the 99% chances of survival are MUCH higher living in the cities then wilderness… It is one thing to know a thing or two about survival skills and to be able to manage for a bit, another to live it for a seriously exentended bit of time, Couldn’t someone just become a monk or join some sort of religious orginization similar where they would allow you to stay?