T Nation

Random Questions on Weightlifting

1. They say to make your core tight during deadlifting and squating. What I don’t understand is how. I can tighten my core two ways: 1) push my stomach out
    2) suck my stomach in
    Which way is the correct way?

2. Is it better to finish a tough 5 rep set with the last rep in bad form or stop at 4?

3. Which is the better gift from god: blondes in spandex or the deadlift?

I will come up with more later.

[quote]funkhauser wrote:

1. They say to make your core tight during deadlifting and squating. What I don’t understand is how. I can tighten my core two ways: 1) push my stomach out
    2) suck my stomach in

2. Is it better to finish a tough 5 rep set with the last rep in bad form or stop at 4?

I will come up with more later.[/quote]

1.) Take a big breath, brace your abs. You won’t be sucking them in.

2.) Don’t injure yourself. And if this is the case, maybe you’re using too much weight? Form is paramount.

3.) Brunettes in spandex deadlifting.

[quote]boyscout wrote
3.) Brunettes in spandex deadlifting. [/quote]

Well played sir.

1)push your stomach out.

1. if im guessing right you mean the squat where you probably like me lean forward in the last reps. its been fine for me and helped me grow. the first 1.5 months of squatting i “Waited” at 80-85kgs to get the form right. eventually i got pissed of and decided to increase anyway and just get them done anyhow, and now im at 125kgs.

but my form isnt too off. its not like the weight comes on my neck or something.

and… brunettes are better

Yea, doing front squats my last rep looks horrible: the bar is still on my…whatever it is that keeps that bar there, but I’m down to 1 finger on each side holding it there.

It takes me almost 5 seconds of struggling to come out of the hole and I can barely rack the weights after. However my legs don’t cave in and I think my shoulders aren’t caving over that much.

Blondes or Burnettes, I’m not really picky.

[quote]boyscout wrote:
funkhauser wrote:

2) suck my stomach in

I will come up with more later.

1.) Take a big breath, brace your abs. You won’t be sucking them in.

2.) Don’t injure yourself. And if this is the case, maybe you’re using too much weight? Form is paramount.

3.) Brunettes in spandex deadlifting. [/quote]

its like i wrote it myself
well said mr iowa

[quote]funkhauser wrote:

2) suck my stomach in
    [/quote]

Flex your abs, and then push them out. Before you begin your descent of the squat or pull of the deadlift, inhale deeply and imagine that you are filling your stomach with air. This will help produce more tension and stability. Try to maintain that tension through-out your lift. If you have a belt, you can use it to train yourself to do this but strapping it on and then pushing against it to make it tight.