Random Muscle Spasms?

Does anyone ever get these?

I woke up last night at 3am with a killer crap/spasm in my right calf…it hurt like a motherf**ker! I got up and stretched it out a bit, and today it was still sore all day.

I get these. I try to react quickly when they start by stretching the muscle immediately before it gets bad. I have been told that these are caused by iron defficiencies. I have not confirmed this in anything I have read.

lower back once in awhile when I run after a hard leg day. I can cramp my muscles easily though if I try to flex them, but never just happens out of nowhere.

Used to get these when I was still growing in high school. I’m 23 now, haven’t had one in a few years. Not sure if this is related, but yeah it hurt like a bitch.

from wikipedia (Cramp - Wikipedia) –

Nocturnal Leg Cramps

Nocturnal leg cramps are involuntary muscle contractions that occur in the calves, soles of the feet, or other muscles in the body during the night or (less commonly) while resting. The duration of nocturnal leg cramps is highly variable with cramps sometimes only lasting a few seconds and other times several minutes. Soreness in the muscles may remain for some time after the cramp ends. These cramps are more common in older people but may happen to anyone. They can happen quite frequently in teenagers and in some people while they are exercising at night. Nocturnal leg cramps can be very painful especially if the person is dehydrated.

The precise cause of these cramps is unclear. Potential contributing factors are believed to include low levels of certain minerals (magnesium, potassium, calcium and sodium); dehydration; and prolonged sitting. Less common causes include more serious conditions or use of drugs.

Nocturnal leg cramps may be relieved by stretching the affected leg straight out and pointing the toes upward. People report that quickly standing up and walking a few steps may also shorten the duration of a cramp.

[quote]swai wrote:
from wikipedia (Cramp - Wikipedia) –

Nocturnal Leg Cramps

Nocturnal leg cramps are involuntary muscle contractions that occur in the calves, soles of the feet, or other muscles in the body during the night or (less commonly) while resting. The duration of nocturnal leg cramps is highly variable with cramps sometimes only lasting a few seconds and other times several minutes. Soreness in the muscles may remain for some time after the cramp ends. These cramps are more common in older people but may happen to anyone. They can happen quite frequently in teenagers and in some people while they are exercising at night. Nocturnal leg cramps can be very painful especially if the person is dehydrated.

The precise cause of these cramps is unclear. Potential contributing factors are believed to include low levels of certain minerals (magnesium, potassium, calcium and sodium); dehydration; and prolonged sitting. Less common causes include more serious conditions or use of drugs.

Nocturnal leg cramps may be relieved by stretching the affected leg straight out and pointing the toes upward. People report that quickly standing up and walking a few steps may also shorten the duration of a cramp.[/quote]

good info…exactley what happend to me. I’ll have to try and stand up next time it happens. Not to sound like a pussy, but holy fuck it hurt…such a weird pain.

1 Like

I used to get that cramp all the time, vitamins and fish oil see to help me.
But what I found to be the best way to make it stop, because yeah, it is excruciating, is to place the ankle of the leg with the cramp on top of the knee of your opposite leg, its not painful to move in that direction, and it stops it in an instant.