T Nation

Ranch = Good Fat?

The ranch that I found in my fridge is low in saturated fat and high in poly unsaturated fat and mono unsaturated fat. Could it be used as a “good fat source”?

Depends on what the fat source is. Look at the ingredients. If it’s soybean oil, no.

Yep, it is soybeen oil. Too good to be true…

is there any dressing available in supermarket that is not 75%+ soybean oil ? i have yet to see one

same goes for mayonnaise, they switched over to soybean oil

have to love how the food industry makes cheap substitutes wherever it can, to hell with the nutritional loss

and then they put a label on the front of these products (yes i have actually seen these labels) “source of omega 6 polyunsaturates”, because we all know that your average joe has a huge deficiency in omega 6

How do you eat your chicken? I am thinking a little spicy mustard would add some to it with some spinach.

What about mixing one of those ranch packets that’s supposed to be used with sour cream with olive oil? Sounds crazy enough to work…

I’m not sure what’s in those little dry packets, though.

Another thing to watch out for is HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup). Consuming even moderate amounts of this vile substance will prime your body for massive fat storage.

If you want to make a quality dressing, just mix some extra-virgin olive oil with some apple-cider vinegar, and presto! A healthy alternative to most of the crap they called salad dressing in the store.

Interesting, BigK. I will give that a try later today.

Hellman’s actually makes an olive oil based mayonnaise, I use this now.

[quote]BigKDawg wrote:
Another thing to watch out for is HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup). Consuming even moderate amounts of this vile substance will prime your body for massive fat storage.

If you want to make a quality dressing, just mix some extra-virgin olive oil with some apple-cider vinegar, and presto! A healthy alternative to most of the crap they called salad dressing in the store.[/quote]

LMAO

No thanks. My dog wouldn’t touch apple cider vinegar, and he eats his own crap for Christ’s sakes! :wink:

[quote]cyph31 wrote:
is there any dressing available in supermarket that is not 75%+ soybean oil ? i have yet to see one

same goes for mayonnaise, they switched over to soybean oil

have to love how the food industry makes cheap substitutes wherever it can, to hell with the nutritional loss

and then they put a label on the front of these products (yes i have actually seen these labels) “source of omega 6 polyunsaturates”, because we all know that your average joe has a huge deficiency in omega 6[/quote]

Most of the stuff I see says “vegetable oil”, which could be just about anything I guess.

Actually, I just looked at Wiki and from what find, vegetable oil is more than likely soybean oil, or at least a good portion of it is…

yes as soon as i see “vegetable oil” or “vegetable protein” i assume it’s some derivative of soy

[quote]BigKDawg wrote:

If you want to make a quality dressing, just mix some extra-virgin olive oil with some apple-cider vinegar, and presto! A healthy alternative to most of the crap they called salad dressing in the store.[/quote]

I use red wine vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar, and it’s awesome.

[quote]Freaky Styley wrote:
BigKDawg wrote:

If you want to make a quality dressing, just mix some extra-virgin olive oil with some apple-cider vinegar, and presto! A healthy alternative to most of the crap they called salad dressing in the store.

I use red wine vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar, and it’s awesome.[/quote]

Me too. Avoid the HFCS!

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Freaky Styley wrote:
BigKDawg wrote:

I use red wine vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar, and it’s awesome.

Me too. Avoid the HFCS![/quote]

Olive oil, apple cider or red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and some dijon mustard-- whisk together and you get a great dressing.