Ramping to Max Effort Weight

Christian, when we’re working up to max doubles and singles what would be the better way of ramping.

For singles I’m thinking something like 3/2/1. I’ve been doing the slower ramps and switching to singles at about 70-80% but i’m wondering if it might be better to take use of 3/2/1 or 5/4/3/2/1.

What are your thoughts?

[quote]corstijeir wrote:
Christian, when we’re working up to max doubles and singles what would be the better way of ramping.

For singles I’m thinking something like 3/2/1. I’ve been doing the slower ramps and switching to singles at about 70-80% but i’m wondering if it might be better to take use of 3/2/1 or 5/4/3/2/1.

What are your thoughts?[/quote]

It depends on the goal of the workout. If it’s to test your maximum will not require the same strategy as if you are trying to get a large training effect.

In the former you want to use as few sets are possible to get to the max while still getting maximum activation. In the later you want to do a lot of sets to get a greater training effect.

A good strategy for the former is:

Set 1: 3 reps @ 40% of estimated max, rest 10 seconds

Set 2: 3 reps @ 40% of estimated max, rest 10 seconds

Set 3: 3 @ 60% of estimated max, rest 30 seconds

Set 4: 2 @ 75% of estimated max, rest 60 seconds

Set 5: 1 @ 80% of estimated max, rest 120 seconds

Set 6: 1 @ 85% of estimated max, rest 120 seconds

Set 7: 1 @ 90% of estimated max, rest 150 seconds

Set 8: 1 @ 95% of estmated max, rest 180 seconds

Set 9: 1 @ estimated 100%, rest 180 second

Then continue to ramp until you hit your real max (probably 1 or 2 sets.

For the later the 3/2/1 is a great option as it allow you to get a lot of volume of heavy work.

Great, thanks CT