Ramping Reps Instead of Load

Hey CT,

Not sure if this has been covered somewhere on the site or forum before, I have searched extensively to no avail. My question is this:

If one wishes to ramp their sets instead of using straight sets, can one ramp the number of reps instead of the load? Or rather, would ramping reps - while keeping the load constant - produce the same physiological results as ramping the load while keeping the rep range the same.

For example: 3 sets of Bench Press - 200x8, 200x10 and then finally 200x12 (or something similar).

As opposed to: Bench Press - 150x12, 175x12 and finally 200x12 (or something similar).

Just to be clear: I am not asking if ramping is superior to straight sets and I am not wishing to discuss pyramid routines (where both the load and number of reps descends and/or ascends). I am asking, if one intends to ramp to an all out blast set, can it be done by ascending reps rather than ascending load? Because I honestly can not find any information dealing with this question.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Cheers

[quote]jay87 wrote:
Hey TC,

Not sure if this has been covered somewhere on the site or forum before, I have searched extensively to no avail. My question is this:

If one wishes to ramp their sets instead of using straight sets, can one ramp the number of reps instead of the load? Or rather, would ramping reps - while keeping the load constant - produce the same physiological results as ramping the load while keeping the rep range the same.

For example: 3 sets of Bench Press - 200x8, 200x10 and then finally 200x12 (or something similar).

As opposed to: Bench Press - 150x12, 175x12 and finally 200x12 (or something similar).

Just to be clear: I am not asking if ramping is superior to straight sets and I am not wishing to discuss pyramid routines (where both the load and number of reps descends and/or ascends). I am asking, if one intends to ramp to an all out blast set, can it be done by ascending reps rather than ascending load? Because I honestly can not find any information dealing with this question.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Cheers [/quote]

1. Ramping works mostly with lower rep ranges. It is best suited for sets of 6 and less. So your example is not really a good one.

2. Ramping reps might work, but not for the same reason as ramping the weight. There would be much less neural activation. I have used the technique (ramping reps) with my wife a few times, but it’s not the best method… maybe as a change of pace. And even then, it would still work best for sets of 6 reps or less otherwise there would be too much fatigue build-up from set to set for the technique to be of any worth.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]jay87 wrote:
Hey TC,

1. Ramping works mostly with lower rep ranges. It is best suited for sets of 6 and less. So your example is not really a good one.

2. Ramping reps might work, but not for the same reason as ramping the weight. There would be much less neural activation. I have used the technique (ramping reps) with my wife a few times, but it’s not the best method… maybe as a change of pace. And even then, it would still work best for sets of 6 reps or less otherwise there would be too much fatigue build-up from set to set for the technique to be of any worth.
    [/quote]

Cliffs Notes = No

[quote]ADvanced TS wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]jay87 wrote:
Hey TC,

[/quote]

Cliffs Notes = No
[/quote]

Bottom line yeah