Rampage Training

Yeah lets not hurt the other guy in a fighting competition.

lets make sure that he doesn’t have to be carried out of the ring.
I don’t say they should ban that technique it just makes me not like Jones.
Knee injuries suck big time…

So do broken arms, cranked shoulders, concussions…

We only think it’s ‘dirty’ or unsportsmanlike because we don’t see it that often.

Guys on the receiving should learn how to defend against them.

lol @ the time mma will become like tae kwon do a olympic sport without head blows, slams, knee bars, elbows, knees and all those dangerous stuff in order to become main stream

[quote]partybison wrote:
I hope we don’t see more of these kicks! For me thats a self-defense move and not a technique for sport/competition. Would he celebrate if he succeeded in destroying his opponent’s knee?
Where is the sportsmanship?[/quote]

This sounds like it is coming from someone who has never learned much more than a front kick and a thigh kick. There’s a whole world out there buddy. A world where people have thousands of techniques suprisingly unseen on American TV yet. America and all it hosts is not the be all and end all of the world.

I love that bones made Rampage look like he’d never fought before. I love that Silva can do the same thing to any opponent he wants.

I want to see a tornado kick in there. Brian Ebersole is another guy who doesn’t waste an inch of space in the octagon. Hammer fists to the thighs, cartwheels to engage a stand up guy on the floor and countless other antics. All signs of intelligence in a fighter and not being a dogmatic stupid robot with 2 or 3 weapons only.

Thanks, that’s what I am saying.^^^^^^^ It is a side kick. Very easy to defend actually. I feel Rampage thinks he can knock anyone out and he is impervious to attacks or something. Fighting, just like anything else is a fighting mans game.

I’m well aware of these techniques. The straight side-kick to the knee can be found at a central point in Bassai-Dai in Karate (Bruce Lee recommended it as a first line of attack). And the other Kick that Jones used is one of the few kicks in wing-chun (no idea what it is called though). But in both cases, for me at least, the objective is self-defense.

I can understand your point of view and of course it is a very clever move. But my point remains that I simply could not cheer for a victory that comes by way of hyperextended knee.

I wanted to add a gif (dont know if it worked) where you can see the beauty of the technique but also the result that just makes me cringe.

So you guys also like submissions a la Palhares?

lol

it’s a completely different realm being borderline autistic retarded and blowing guys knees off even when the referee tries to push me from my opponent than that kick.

Toquinho used to do this a lot on Brazil, i really hope someone blow his knee out.

Love Paul Harris. I find all the misplaced aggression, extended submissions, in-cage retardation… endearing. He’s like a gorilla that learned JuiJitsu.

That motherfucker is feral.

I’m search like a madman for the video of his ADCC performance, he almost end up brawling on one fight.

[quote]partybison wrote:
I’m well aware of these techniques. The straight side-kick to the knee can be found at a central point in Bassai-Dai in Karate (Bruce Lee recommended it as a first line of attack). And the other Kick that Jones used is one of the few kicks in wing-chun (no idea what it is called though). But in both cases, for me at least, the objective is self-defense.

I can understand your point of view and of course it is a very clever move. But my point remains that I simply could not cheer for a victory that comes by way of hyperextended knee.

I wanted to add a gif (dont know if it worked) where you can see the beauty of the technique but also the result that just makes me cringe.

So you guys also like submissions a la Palhares?[/quote]

Ok, that’s slightly different to what you said earlier about

[quote]partybison wrote:
I hope we don’t see more of these kicks! For me thats a self-defense move and not a technique for sport/competition. Would he celebrate if he succeeded in destroying his opponent’s knee?
Where is the sportsmanship? [/quote]

I see and hear both your points but where does one draw the line in a sport aptly named 'Mixed Martial Arts"??

What to you would be deemed acceptable?

Muay Thai is traditionaly an art developed for their Thai/Cambodian/Burmese Army’s. Most of their techniques are designed to seriously hurt your opponent.
I never kicked a sole in competition except that my intent was to snap his femur! I’m about as sportlike as you can get. I’ve been on the receiving end and been dropped too but I have nothing but hugs and friendship for my opponents.

Where do I draw the line in that sport and call my opponents desire to knock me out unsportsmanlike?
The nature of the sport is to do as much damage and prevent receiving any. Usually, the quicker you can inflict it on others, the less the others will be able to inflict it on you.

Two or three of those teeps, side kicks and stomps and Rampage wanted no part of Bones.

Is a kick to the head more kind than a stomp on the knee?

Yodecha (muay thai champion) kicked a guy over here in oz in a match where the opponents wouldn’t fight except with shin pads on. Through the guys guard which was covering his head perfectly and through the shin pads, Yodecha kicked him that hard he burst is ear drum and knock him out.

So that’s why I think you can’t make those comments in this sport. Actually you can say what you want, it’s a free world but it doesn’t mean it has credibility.

You ban stomps, teeps, and side kicks to the knees on the basis of being unsportsmanlike then you ban an elbow to the head whilst the opponents head is glued to the canvas, you ban a full power head kick. You ban a neck lock pulling your opponent down to a rapidly exploding knee or succession of knees, you ban extending an arm bar until you snap elbows, forearms or tear shoulders. You then throw the whole sport in the bin.

perfect explanation, my thoughts exactly, although i wouldn’t be able to put on such good words and structure.

Humble,

Very well put. The concern I will voice about against the joint kicking/strikes is the risk of gross orthopedic injury and the accumulation of ligament damage/joint damage leading to issues down the road.

Injuries already do, and always will, shorten careers. The issue I can see happening is that the money-makers of the sport are going to start dropping, and perhaps the injuries are going to prevent any kind of cross-over competition between MMA and K-1/wrestling/bjj. Same reason eye gouging is, and needs to stay, out.

Now, I am not sure if these kicks are the line. I am simply saying there is a line for fighter safety/business model.

Regards,

Robert A

[quote]humble wrote:

You ban stomps, teeps, and side kicks to the knees on the basis of being unsportsmanlike then you ban an elbow to the head whilst the opponents head is glued to the canvas, you ban a full power head kick. You ban a neck lock pulling your opponent down to a rapidly exploding knee or succession of knees, you ban extending an arm bar until you snap elbows, forearms or tear shoulders. You then throw the whole sport in the bin.
[/quote]

QFT.

Good post.

well I guess your right, but still if these techniques become more popular knee-injuries will definitely increase.

Maybe I am just too traditional- and through Boxing one is very accustomed to seeing devastating blows to the head ( spit flying-ears wiggiling etc.)and so it just doesn’t look as bad.Plus the damage done is just not as obvious.

Allways good to hear an opposing point-of-view…

[quote]666Rich wrote:
I love rampage, but those sidekicks to the thigh/knee from bones ARE very effective. I have only seen silva use those before, and I imagine we will see more of those.[/quote]

yeah i agree.

ive always thought that this is the unfortunate future of mma.rules protect as much as they can but if you perfect this move then you are not only stopping your opponent but potentially making it their last fight.

i like watching a contest with as few rules as possible but imagine if several champions/potential champions were bundled out of the sport due to this sort of injury.

i guess defending this move will evolve at the same pace.

just thinking out loud.

lol. They better ditch the moniker “As Real as It Gets”

[quote]flipya4it wrote:

[quote]666Rich wrote:
I love rampage, but those sidekicks to the thigh/knee from bones ARE very effective. I have only seen silva use those before, and I imagine we will see more of those.[/quote]

yeah i agree.

ive always thought that this is the unfortunate future of mma.rules protect as much as they can but if you perfect this move then you are not only stopping your opponent but potentially making it their last fight.

i like watching a contest with as few rules as possible but imagine if several champions/potential champions were bundled out of the sport due to this sort of injury.

just thinking out loud.[/quote]

That’s a rather pessimistic view. You want MMA to remain stagnant and confined to a few techniques. Perhaps you don’t have much experience in martial arts or even knowledge of the tremendous variety there is out there.
I’d rather fighters and trainers take a constructive approach and learn how to perform those techniques and defend against them.

Seeing defenses and the attacks makes it that much more exciting and more of a chess match, a strategic battle rather than just a battle of monotonous fitness techniques.

[quote]humble wrote:

[quote]flipya4it wrote:

[quote]666Rich wrote:

yeah i agree.

just thinking out loud.[/quote]

That’s a rather pessimistic view. You want MMA to remain stagnant and confined to a few techniques. Perhaps you don’t have much experience in martial arts or even knowledge of the tremendous variety there is out there.
I’d rather fighters and trainers take a constructive approach and learn how to perform those techniques and defend against them.

Seeing defenses and the attacks makes it that much more exciting and more of a chess match, a strategic battle rather than just a battle of monotonous fitness techniques.

[/quote]

youre probably right.

i think its just a “fingers on the chalkboard” move for me watching the knee struck in that way.same as someone may not enjoy watching multiple elbow strikes from the mount.

end of the day i would not want the sport watered down in any way.

as i said,just thinking out loud.

What we are seeing, now a broad technical base has been established in MMA is Abstraction. Everyone trains, BJJ, MT and Boxing, familiarity allows the best to experiment with abstract techniques that can decide fights.