Rampage Training

[quote]Fistiecuffs wrote:
Definitely 205, I’ve never seen bumper plates be any thinner than that anyways. I’m hoping Rampage will pick up the win, I don’t know what is it that makes me dislike Bones but I just don’t like him. Guess its his weird unconventional stand up and the massive hype train behind him. The LHW title has changed owners on pretty consistent basis never the less, and Bones has never really been in any bad spots. He leaves himself open from time to time with his crazy techniques, its just a matter of if Rampage will catch him what happens. I have no fucking idea but I’d be more than glad to find out in a few hours. I’m also hoping Hughes will win, never really liked Kos either. Hughes is all washed up and over the hill, but so was Tito, and at least he has the fact that Kos only had like 3 weeks to make the cut, that’s got to show. I’d also love to see Gomi hammer Diaz’s skull with a crushing left hook, but for some reason I have a feeling I’m going to be disappointed a lot watching this card :frowning: .[/quote]

Only bumper plates I have access to at the Olympic lifting center here, are smaller. The 25lb ones are considerably thinner, and there aren’t any plates as thick as the last plate. They’re also colored though, not black, so I’m thinking Whiteflash might be right. Still 205. You’d think a guy like Page would be able to power clean that on a whim, lol.

I’m rooting for the guy. I don’t agree with Zeb on the Frankenstein thing, Page can play smart when he wants to (Machida). But I don’t think he’s taking this fight.

Best Matt Hughes I’ve ever seen. Really, training with Penn did wonders. I’ve never seen him move like that. Quick jabs, best head movement I’ve ever seen from him. But Kos is better. Ate his punches, powered through and found an opening for that sick right hand of his. Great killer instinct.

Nice to see Kos giving props to Matt’s legacy. I’m a huge fan of Hughes’ body of work, but now’s a good time to walk away. I really do think he’s better than he’s ever been, at least since I started following the sport in 05. But the game passed him by. Too many killers in this division.

[quote]Robert A wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Thanks for posting the video, it was interesting.

But the real point is Jones will DESTROY this guy. The skill set between the two fighters are worlds apart. Rampage’s punches at this point in his career remind me of Frankestein punching someone. Jones will make him look silly, but then you all know this right? RIGHT? The real question is this, will Rampage go the distance, I say he won’t make it. [/quote]

Holy shit! ZEB is back. Where have you been?

[/quote]

Working man, I gotta make a living you know. Predicting fights on T Nation doesn’t pay that well.

Take care.

Good fight for Jones. A more measured attack, you could see him utilize kicks and reach to keep Page out of range. Smart. At the start of the fight, whenever Page would get into the pocket and within range, Jon would clinch with him. As expected, he didn’t have the usual success taking him down from the clinch, but it’s clear the threat weighed down on Quinton.

I think Page just couldn’t handle the range. He was unbelievably confused, and looked totally out of his depth. More or less gave up half way through the 2nd and resorted to winging wildshots in an attempt. There was no magic gameplan like there was in the Machida fight, and even if there was, Jones was too good.

Come to think of it, Jones used a lot of the concepts that Hashad used in his fight with Page. Always on the outside, always out of range. Taking advantage of his stiffness on the feet, and his tendency to bullrush in frustration to cover distance. Shad didn’t kick and shot for doubles though… and got them more, lol.

His next fight is going to be VERY interesting. Shad was definitely intimidated in the cage. You could tell he was thinking: “Aw fuck. Jon’s a lot better than I remember.” Still, Evans is a smart fighter, with a serious top game and a good, technical, powerful shot. Him winning will hinge on coming up with a plan to protect his suspect chin, avoiding those kicks, and getting into range for a take down. The flipside of that is Jones knows this.

Hunt owned Rothwell. Same old thing with Big Ben, he’s too big for his own good. This was worse than the Yvel fight, lol. Hunt’s grappling seems improved. What was up with that ref standing them up from guard and SIDE CONTROL, when both guys were clearly working. He broke them up from against the cage after a few seconds too. Fuck that guy.

Mark Hunt VS Ben Rothwell made my night.

FIGHT OF THE NIGHT!

I couldn’t believe when he went for the arm-bar!

HUNT FOR 2012 UFC HW CHAMPION I BELIEVE!

Yep, as expected, rapage by Jones. Greg Jackson is a genius. I love intellectual trainers. Perfect strategy for a robot. Unlikely timing, switching stances, unorthodox strikes, side kicks, teeps, front kicks and the lot.

I’m going to wait till we see what Hashad’s got for Jones till I jump on the Jones for the GOAT P4P hype train, but the kid is good, no doubt about that. Didn’t manhandle Page throughout the fight, but never really got in to any kinds of trouble really, I was looking forward to Page throwing some uppercuts from the clinch but I think he only tried it once with a close miss, would’ve been his best shot at it.

Got to love Hunt, 3 round had me wondering why this fight was on the main card and I was really disappointed to see him go for that take down all over again when Rothwell was clearly just waiting for the knockout to happen, hanging his arms and leaning forward with his chin up while gasping for air. The one underdog on the card who I was hoping to win but didn’t bet on :stuck_out_tongue: .

Hughes just didn’t have it, looked good but just isn’t good enough anymore. Would be good time to quit, but I won’t complain if they throw a bunch of easy fights against other aging fighters somewhere down the road, he didn’t look bad, Kos’s handspeed was just too much.

I hate it when Rogan and Goldie go on about Nate’s super awesome great boxing. He got tagged in Marcus Davis fight until he open that cut, then he outswung bloodied up Davis who could barely see from either of his eyes. That doesn’t make your boxing great, neither does hanging your arms down at your waist once you’ve tagged your opponent a bunch of times. Sure its working (partly cause his got a good chin) but his boxing isn’t great, GSP would tool him in a boxing match and so would any good boxer, so stop hyping it for the love of god! His BJJ is a joy to watch though.

Page calling out Shogun for a rematch would be great, don’t know if its going to make any sense or if he is going to have to fight before that, but I’d like to see it.

Next weekend Cruz - Johnson and after that a card I’m really looking forward to, Edgar - Maynard III! Great stuff coming up.

Interesting card.

I was pleased with Koshek’s win. Hughes just couldn’t do anything against his powerful pounding.

JBJ was as spectacular as ever - apart from the monkey business at the start of the 1st round, wtf! lol. Front kicks, knees kicks, spinning back kick, spinning elbow…all of this to stop the beast in his track, ehehe. I’d expected Rampage to be a little more aggressive but he looked like he simply gave up after the second round.

I felt bad for Rothwell, he got rocked pretty bad. Hunt has really improved with his grappling and cage control so I was quite surprised to see him dominating Rothwell.

Was rooting for rampage to win by KTFO, but of course I always knew he never had a chance.

Rashad vs Jones will be interesting. I honestly think Rashad is very underrated by many.

I personally thought the fight sucked. Aside from Rampage standing up with Jones on him in the 1st, he didn’t do anything. He threw maybe 15 punches the entire fight, and 12 of those were hooks from his pockets.

Jones fought smart in staying on the outside but didn’t impress until he sunk the choke, and he got that 'cause 'Page had already mentally checked out.

Mark Hunt throwing a spinning backfist was the best part of the night.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
I personally thought the fight sucked. Aside from Rampage standing up with Jones on him in the 1st, he didn’t do anything. He threw maybe 15 punches the entire fight, and 12 of those were hooks from his pockets.

Jones fought smart in staying on the outside but didn’t impress until he sunk the choke, and he got that 'cause 'Page had already mentally checked out.

Mark Hunt throwing a spinning backfist was the best part of the night.[/quote]
Yeah the fight wasn’t exciting, but part of that is probably thanks to Greg Jackson. Jones didn’t even really give Rampage a puncher’s chance. Pretty smart fighting, just not as exciting.

I kind of think Rampage needs to retrain himself. Like go back to the basics and relearn everything. He’s always so slow with his footwork and doesn’t mix it up by throwing that many leg kicks or even moving around a lot. I didn’t think he had to worry too much about Jones catching his legs if he just kicked the legs. I don’t know.

best part of the night was Joe Rogan screaming like a mad man to Hunt go to the armbar “YES YES YES!!!”

IDC about his like 255 lb deadlift… But What was that cardio machine he was on in the first like 20 seconds of the video and how cani have my gym i go to get one of those

Looks like a machine prowler. ^
Also looks like a fucking good idea, perhaps not as versatile as a prowler/sled, but awesome for fitness centers.

Also, on watching the Gomi/Diaz fight, I have to say it, Gomi is done. He had nothing for Diaz, showed horrible boxing and did a lot worse than most other fighters figuring out Nate’s range. Of course, Gomi is old guard, so it’s no knock on him. It’s just that his KO power can only take him so far.

Tony Fergusson, the TUF winner, looked great against Aaron Riley. Broke his jaw with an uppercut and showed crisp boxing. Not the most technical striker at LW, but he does have a good skillset: good wrestling, and good striking. Will be interesting to watch him develop.

Suckers

Rampage had no chance in that fight.

Jones is the new breed of 205. He looks like Anderson Silva ( i am talking about how he is built).

I was not expecting Rampage to tap out!

I was curious when he started fighting like an alligator, when Rampage’s jab connected i was hoping he would connect with a chopping right to make Jones taste the canvas, but that didn’t happened =(

[quote]kaisermetal wrote:
I was curious when he started fighting like an alligator, when Rampage’s jab connected i was hoping he would connect with a chopping right to make Jones taste the canvas, but that didn’t happened =([/quote]

Haha, I was hoping for the same thing.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]kaisermetal wrote:
I was curious when he started fighting like an alligator, when Rampage’s jab connected i was hoping he would connect with a chopping right to make Jones taste the canvas, but that didn’t happened =([/quote]

Haha, I was hoping for the same thing.[/quote]

That remembered me when Terere was on top before the drug problems on his career.

Always unpredictable and having a lot of fun while fighting.

I love rampage, but those sidekicks to the thigh/knee from bones ARE very effective. I have only seen silva use those before, and I imagine we will see more of those.

I hope we don’t see more of these kicks! For me thats a self-defense move and not a technique for sport/competition. Would he celebrate if he succeeded in destroying his opponent’s knee?
Where is the sportsmanship?