Rampage Jackson/Steve Urkel Hybrid?

Who here is a Rampage Jackson/Steve Urkel hybrid?

What I mean is: Who here has horrible eyesight and practices the martial arts? If you wear glasses or contacts, how much does it hold you back??

This will be such a small number of replies.

I have horrible eyes and fight with contacts

so does karo parysian. You just have to be confident enough (and pray to the god of war) that you don’t get hit with your eye open or directly enough to fuck up your contacts.

I train w/o my contacts though just for a “worst case scenario” type situation. if i lose em i’m not at any disadvantage. but my distance is just a little better with it.

i plan on getting PRK eye surgery before i join the professional ranks.

i too wear contacts. i’d say on average one of them gets knocked out during sparring/rolling once every other week. sucksssss…

I wear contacts and can’t see shit without them, but tomorrow I actually have an appt for a Lasik consultation. So we’ll see…

Thank god, I’m not alone.

Why do you need contacts when you roll?

When I wrestled, we had blind people who were competitive wrestlers.

You don’t need sight for grappling.

I wear contacts, too. Can’t see without 'em. I’ve grown my hair out, so the most annoying thing for me is when beads of sweat get in my eye. Burns like hell and also blurries the vision in that eye.

It sucks to deal with, but I couldn’t do anything without 'em in.

[quote]Guerrero wrote:
Why do you need contacts when you roll?

When I wrestled, we had blind people who were competitive wrestlers.

You don’t need sight for grappling.[/quote]

Because there’s a difference between seeing a punch coming and seeing a blurry object coming at you. And if its night time, that shit is even worse. And as far as contacts, imagine getting punched in the eye and the contact shatters.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
I wear contacts, too. Can’t see without 'em. I’ve grown my hair out, so the most annoying thing for me is when beads of sweat get in my eye. Burns like hell and also blurries the vision in that eye.

It sucks to deal with, but I couldn’t do anything without 'em in.[/quote]

What do you do about your hair when fighting?

Rolling i never wear shit but i keep my glasses with me so i can actually see what the instructor is doing when he’s demonstrating otherwise i’d wrestle blindfolded that shit gets your awareness so high its sick.

Striking as stated earlier there’s a big difference between recognizing motion and attempting to respond or KNOWING ‘oh thats a punch’. Like in the reaction time thread, its that 1/10 that you lose. Vital timing in the fight game. But honestly not something you can’t adjust to but when you hit the higher echelons in the game. That time frame you lose will probably be a detriment.

DANEW,

be sure when you go for your lasik appt to let them know that you do contact sports and that you are probably going to get hit in the eye damn near every day.

There’s apparently some danger (i’m not sure if its overstatead or not) about a ‘flap’ coming off and you going permanently blind.

do your research b4 just getting lasik. There are a LOT of different eye procedures out there. Your eyes aren’t something to fuck with, so don’t just listen to a doctor remember part of their job is to “sell” a procedure to you.

im personally getting PRK, it’s not an out patient procedure like lasik and has an extended recovery time but there’s no danger of ‘flap’ removal. And from what i remember thats what the Navy SEALs prefer if you are to correct your vision.

[quote]Defekt wrote:
Djwlfpack wrote:

What do you do about your hair when fighting?[/quote]

I haven’t had to worry about that yet. I’ll probably just get some of the length (it’s not super-long yet) taken off.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
Defekt wrote:
Djwlfpack wrote:

I haven’t had to worry about that yet. I’ll probably just get some of the length (it’s not super-long yet) taken off.[/quote]

How can your hair get in the way if you have a mohawk. Plus, you have a tobogan on in your pic. Come on, Chuck.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
Djwlfpack wrote:
Defekt wrote:
Djwlfpack wrote:

I haven’t had to worry about that yet. I’ll probably just get some of the length (it’s not super-long yet) taken off.

How can your hair get in the way if you have a mohawk. Plus, you have a tobogan on in your pic. Come on, Chuck.[/quote]

Nose hair. Can’t you see it hanging there?

oh and fuck you call me urkel

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
I train w/o my contacts though just for a “worst case scenario” type situation. if i lose em i’m not at any disadvantage. but my distance is just a little better with it.

quote]

Ditto for me. I only wear my contacts when I’m competing.

JR

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
WolBarret wrote:
Djwlfpack wrote:
Defekt wrote:
Djwlfpack wrote:

How can your hair get in the way if you have a mohawk. Plus, you have a tobogan on in your pic. Come on, Chuck.

Nose hair. Can’t you see it hanging there?[/quote]

You’re right, Zap. That nose hair looks like a bitch to have.

[quote]Because there’s a difference between seeing a punch coming and seeing a blurry object coming at you. And if its night time, that shit is even worse. And as far as contacts, imagine getting punched in the eye and the contact shatters.
[/quote]
Hence why I said rolling and grappling.

Although near sighted and far sighted boxers, don’t wear glasses, or contacts. I think you’re fucked if you have estigmatism however.

[quote]Guerrero wrote:
Because there’s a difference between seeing a punch coming and seeing a blurry object coming at you. And if its night time, that shit is even worse. And as far as contacts, imagine getting punched in the eye and the contact shatters.

Hence why I said rolling and grappling.

Although near sighted and far sighted boxers, don’t wear glasses, or contacts. I think you’re fucked if you have estigmatism however.[/quote]

Oh, my bad man. Even so, I want to see details when grabbing someone. And you guys are blind like me and should know much it affects you.

Jean Claude Van Dame, won the kumite blindfolded, so I just think you’re a pussy.

I wear glasses but i fight without anything. My vision isnt great but its enough that i can see head, hand, body, leg, etc…
However during a fight im completely focused so it doesnt really matter.