Ramp Up Weights For 375 lb. Squat!

All you S & C coaches and athletes out there, I need some help on what to make my ramp up weights for a 375 lb max squat attempt on Saturday.

I’ve been doing a cycle the last four weeks doing some wave loading and I absolutely crushed 310 yesterday to the point where I could have gotten 5-7. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Nick Radonjic

Personally, if I were you my actual warmup would look like:

95 (some use just the bar, but I don’t personally like it) x as many as needed to feel comfortable

135 x 5 with a good rhythm

185 x 3 with a good rhythm

225 x 2: here is where I would start focusing on really exploding up with the weights

275 x 1: again, all speed!

315 x 1

Here is where it gets personal. What I mean is what is your best 1 rm? Have you hit 375 before? 365? 355? etc.?

Assuming you have it 355 for one, (just guessing) than I would do a 355 x 1

From here I would unrack and walk out 405 and hold it briefly.

Than nail that 375.

Than go for 385, hit it, and call it a day.

Good luck,

Pat

[quote]Nick Radonjic wrote:
All you S & C coaches and athletes out there, I need some help on what to make my ramp up weights for a 375 lb max squat attempt on Saturday.

I’ve been doing a cycle the last four weeks doing some wave loading and I absolutely crushed 310 yesterday to the point where I could have gotten 5-7. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Nick Radonjic[/quote]

Thanks so much. I was thinking along those lines and wasn’t sure what to do after 315. Should I do a walkout with 405, or go to 345-355 x 1, and hit 375, or then do the walkout? Those were really my questions, and what should I do after I hit the 315 is the issue really? Thanks again.

Nick

Hit 315…Take a 30-40 pound jump and hit 345-55, THAN do the walkout, than hit 375, and if good, go for another 10 pound PR…BTW, what is your current max?

Pat

[quote]Nick Radonjic wrote:
Thanks so much. I was thinking along those lines and wasn’t sure what to do after 315. Should I do a walkout with 405, or go to 345-355 x 1, and hit 375, or then do the walkout? Those were really my questions, and what should I do after I hit the 315 is the issue really? Thanks again.

Nick[/quote]

IMO 355 is to close to your Max attempt and is going to zap a LOT of what you have prior to the max attempt. Now if this was a training day more aiming to bring lifts up and not a true tst of a max that would be all good getting in those much needed 90%+ lifts.

But this seems more like a test for a max purely. That being the case id get warnm and make that jump as soon as you can so your warm but not tapped out you dont weant to waste anything in a try for a true max IMO.

Id make the jump from 315 at the least.

Phill

I really don’t know what my true max is in the athletic stance back squat. A year ago I hit 325 for a really hard single and may or may not have been able to more then.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. They are much appreciated. Phil, I don’t know if I can make a 60 lb. jump from 315 when my set prior to the 315 is only 40 pounds less. It seems like too much of a jump. Maybe the best is to hit 345 x 1, walkout with 405 and then go for the 375 x 1 afterwards?

Nick

Barx5, 95x5, 135x5, 175x3, 215x3, 255x2, 295x2, 335x1 375x1.

IMO, walking out a supramax weight before attempting a new PR is ill advised. At the end of the day, energy is energy. Use the energy you will expend unracking and setting up the weight to hit your PR>

If you need to set up 405 to make 375 feel lighter it makes me think you are intimidated by the weight and need to adjust your thought process.

We would honestly ridicule you for this.

Just go for it.

Phil, I partly agree with 355 being a bit too close to the attempt, but I was under the impression this was just a training session and not and actual comp. Could be wrong though? Also, some people have very inefficient nervous systems and need to better acclimate themselves to the weight. I know I require smaller jumps. Making a 60 pound jump may staple him coming out of the hole. Just a suggestion though.

ap; My reasoning for the supra hold was more so just to potentiate him for unracking a weight he has never unracked before (assuming). Once he has the 405 on his back, the 375 will unrack easier. Not something I would use all the time, I agree, but not something to be laughed at for either! (kidding)

At any rate best of luck the OP and keep us posted on how it goes!

Cheers

[quote]Tags wrote:
Phil, I partly agree with 355 being a bit too close to the attempt, but I was under the impression this was just a training session and not and actual comp. Could be wrong though? Also, some people have very inefficient nervous systems and need to better acclimate themselves to the weight. I know I require smaller jumps. Making a 60 pound jump may staple him coming out of the hole. Just a suggestion though.

At any rate best of luck the OP and keep us posted on how it goes!

Cheers

[/quote]

I agree with the 345-355 now as his last max was 325. Hell go for 330 thats a PR thats more than previous and thats what matters. so yes with the Much lower max prio I would for sure feel it out and go for a smaller PR prio to the attempt at going for 365lbs.

Phill

All of the above suggestions are pretty good and pretty similar. This is what I would do

45x12
135x10
135x10
205x5
255x3
300x1
340x1
375x1

If you get it go up 10-30 lbs depending on how it felt. Rest about 5 minutes from the 300 set on.

I like a few more warm-up sets/reps in the beginning because intermediates (and some advanced) like to be more physiologically warm but you can go by what you think will work the best for you. I would also not do the walkout because I don’t think at this weight a walkout will be an issue and you don’t want to blow your wad on the walkout or get psyched out by thinking how heavy the walkout felt, even though the max set will feel a little lighter in return.

Good luck with it, destroy that weight.

I think you’re overanalyzing the HELL out of this and you need to go with what works for you.

You need to learn to get comfortable with consistent sized jumps. For you 50lbs is about right.

135x5 1-3 sets
185x2 Think 365
225x2 Imagine it as 365 and crush it twice
275x1 Good setup, drop and rocket out of bottom.
315x1 Get it together, vaporize this weight.
365x1 Allow no negative thoughts to enter your head. If you have any doubt picture a “Stop” sign in your head and scream “Stop!”. Get it.

Then have a Guinness and a Rib Eye.

[quote]jackreape wrote:
You need to learn to get comfortable with consistent sized jumps. For you 50lbs is about right.

135x5 1-3 sets
185x2 Think 365
365x1 Allow no negative thoughts to enter your head. If you have any doubt picture a “Stop” sign in your head and scream “Stop!”. Get it.

Then have a Guinness and a Rib Eye.[/quote]

AWESOME advice here and the mental part is HUGE moreso then many ppl give it credit

Thanks for this post Jack

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
jackreape wrote:

135x5 1-3 sets
185x2 Think 365

Then have a Guinness and a Rib Eye.

AWESOME advice here and the mental part is HUGE moreso then many ppl give it credit

Thanks for this post Jack

Phill
[/quote]

I’d say this advice is awesome also. Sweet.

I’d also like to see what Jack would say is a good warmup for a 450 max squat. What would you say Jack?
135x6 x 2 sets
185x4
225x4
275x2
315x2
365x1
405x1
450x1
Or do you think 405x1 to 450 is too big of a jump (45 lbs.). Anyone else have reccomendations for this? Thanks!

[quote]dl- wrote:
I’d also like to see what Jack would say is a good warmup for a 450 max squat. What would you say Jack?
135x6 x 2 sets
185x4
225x4
275x2
315x2
365x1
405x1
450x1
Or do you think 405x1 to 450 is too big of a jump (45 lbs.). Anyone else have reccomendations for this? Thanks![/quote]

IMO it Looks kosher. the only thing I do different is drop some of the lower work like drop the 185 out of between the 135 and 205 and just slap a plate on but hey thats me and what seems to work.

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
dl- wrote:
135x6 x 2 sets
185x4
225x4
275x2
315x2
365x1
405x1
450x1
Or do you think 405x1 to 450 is too big of a jump (45 lbs.). Anyone else have reccomendations for this? Thanks!

IMO it Looks kosher. the only thing I do different is drop some of the lower work like drop the 185 out of between the 135 and 205 and just slap a plate on but hey thats me and what seems to work.

Phill

[/quote]

Do you mean go from 135 to 205…or just 135 to 225?

[quote]jackreape wrote:

135x5 1-3 sets
185x2 Think 365

Then have a Guinness and a Rib Eye.[/quote]

Jack,

Thanks so much! On Dragondoor about 4.5 years ago, I listened to you and Garm in terms of what my ramp up weights should be for a 405 deadlift. I followed yours instead of Garm’s and I CRUSHED it. It felt so easy! I also weighed about 182-183 at the time. Thanks. I’ll nail this as well. By the way, whatever happened to Garm? Thanks again so much.

Nick

If you let us know earlier and not a few days in advance I would have suggested adding in the Supramax and partials the two weeks leading up to the max attempt. I believe it was CT who just wrote an article on partials and the affects they will have on your max attempts. (forgive my ignorance if it wasnt him).
Now you will see how effective your wave loading was tomorrow. It might work fine, people respond differently to stimulus’s.
As was stated before, if you have hit 355 before, 375 will mostly be a mental thing.

I would warm up with:
135x6
225x4
315x1
(I feel like any more and your just going to be tapping into your energy stores)
375 and hit it

Goodluck

[quote]dl- wrote:
Phill wrote:
dl- wrote:
135x6 x 2 sets
185x4
225x4
275x2
315x2
365x1
405x1
450x1

Phill

Do you mean go from 135 to 205…or just 135 to 225? [/quote]

I mean I personally would slap a plate on 135 to 225. All those sets at that low a load for me well dont do much it just gets a bit redundant when your aiming to go up to 405 + Id rather get to the 80% plus zone and keep warming up I dont seem to even feel or get a groove proper depth, tension etc until 3 plates are on the bar.

Again just my opinion.

Phill