T Nation

Ramona, Ca

Anyone know anything about Ramona, California? I’m being transferred to MCAS Miramar and looking for a house. Freaking 3br houses are STARTING at $500,000 in SD and the surrounding area. Found Ramona, about 20 miles east of the base, with some more reasonable priced houses. The wife and I are going out there the beginning of April to house-hunt.

Any comments on Ramona?

It’s 1450 ft above sea level.

DB

Ramona gets really hot in the summer, and any real estate “bargains” you find out there will probably be cheaper for a reason. Housing prices in San Diego County are insane, and although things have cooled off here a bit, the bubble is showing no signs of bursting.

You might consider looking north, either in the Escondido area or even up into Riverside County. Home prices are more reasonable up there, but the commute will be a bitch.

[quote]TJN713 wrote:
Ramona gets really hot in the summer, and any real estate “bargains” you find out there will probably be cheaper for a reason. Housing prices in San Diego County are insane, and although things have cooled off here a bit, the bubble is showing no signs of bursting.

You might consider looking north, either in the Escondido area or even up into Riverside County. Home prices are more reasonable up there, but the commute will be a bitch.

[/quote]

I live in Murrieta which is about 40 minutes north (without traffic) of San Diego. The housing is much less expensive. Right now the home builders are dropping prices like crazy and giving incentives to get the houses sold. You can get over 3000 square feet for about $420k. Most likely they will throw in $20k of upgrades for you as well. And Murrieta is considered the expensive area…another 10-20 miles away the same house is in the mid 300s.

But yeah, the commute can be a problem. I am only home on the weekends right now but sooner or later I need to consider the commute to San Diego. Little by little more industry is coming to the area but so far it cannot support all the families moving in.

[quote]PGJ wrote:
Anyone know anything about Ramona, California? I’m being transferred to MCAS Miramar and looking for a house. Freaking 3br houses are STARTING at $500,000 in SD and the surrounding area. Found Ramona, about 20 miles east of the base, with some more reasonable priced houses. The wife and I are going out there the beginning of April to house-hunt.

Any comments on Ramona?[/quote]

Yes…Did they Triple your pay to relocate to SD from Georgia?

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
PGJ wrote:

Any comments on Ramona?

Yes…Did they Triple your pay to relocate to SD from Georgia?
[/quote]

No. Not even close. Pay stays the same, but housing allowance went up about $1000. In SD for my rank, housing allowance is about $2200/month, which will RENT you a decent 3br, 2ba house. My max purchace price is in the $350,000-$375,000 range, which will get you a 2br, 1ba condo.

Ramona is the only place that we MIGHT be able to buy. For rentals we are looking at Poway, Escondido and Oceanside (good school districts).