(Ramble) Not Terribly Exciting...

But I thought I’d share it anyway. Today was a day at the gym that will probably stick out in my mind for a little bit.

Got to the gym a little later than usual on account of some work I got tied up with. It was a pulling day. Wasn’t really “feeling it” when I pulled in the parking lot, but once I started lifting, I was hitting my numbers with ease and good form. That was good.

I was getting pressed for time by the time I was planning on doing some hang cleans, so I was going to be naughty and do them in the squat rack (so as not to have to muck with the power rack)… but some other dude bout my size beat me to the squat rack and started doing jerks.

I was pleased to see somebody else doing something besides benching or curling, although my gym really isn’t too bad in that regard. Better still, I’m not doing jerks in my current routine, but I’m pretty sure I could have done more than this guy.

Not that I think I’m better than him, but, hey… we’re all secretly in competition, right? So, anyway, I sucked it up and reconfigured the power rack for my hang cleans.

By my 3rd set, I noticed several younger lads kinda watching me… they weren’t real sure what I was doing, I suppose. Between my 4th and 5th set, one of them walked up to me and asked me for a spot. Mind you, he walked almost halfway across the gym, passing a number of other guys, to ask me for the spot. Is that a sign of respect?

I really don’t know, but I’m going to keep telling myself that it is. When I look in the mirror these days, I don’t see a guy as big as I want to see, but lately I’ve been noticing that I’m one of the bigger (although not really jacked) guys in my gym… and that makes me happy as shit. Anyhow, after I spotted this kid, I finished up and hit the showers with a good pump, and left the gym refreshed.

Later on, at the pharmacy when I was picking up some meds, there was a woman in the line next to me, looking me over and trying not to be obvious… but I caught her. A few times. :^D I’m happily married, so nothing gained there except another little ego boost.

Speaking of married, my wife isn’t complaining either, except for the food/supp bills.

It was a great day, gym-wise, and boosted my motivation more than a little. I’m not looking for any pats on the back or attaboys, just thought I’d share it here, in case any other relative newbies’ motivation is flagging. Keep at it, it pays off.

Sometimes it’s hard to see progress when you look at yourself in the mirror every day, but the reactions of others can tell you a lot.

I’ve had days like that, it always feels good.

Nice job man. I’m the same way in that I’m usually really hard on myself, and I don’t always care what others think because I do this for myself, but sometimes having others recognize is just a little validation and helps with the motivation.

Keep up the good work buddy.

Thanks guys… I intend to. :^)

Later,
Bob

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
Nice job man. I’m the same way in that I’m usually really hard on myself, and I don’t always care what others think because I do this for myself, but sometimes having others recognize is just a little validation and helps with the motivation.

Keep up the good work buddy.[/quote]

Reminds me of my 20 year high school reunion a few years back. I was the only guy who looked like he did any type of exercise. People were saying how much I’d changed and women who wouldn’t acknowledge my existence in school were complimenting my physique and asking me to dance, etc. It was worth every rep I ever did. Yeah, bro., you bust your ass in the gym and you deserve the respect and compliments you receive. Nothing wrong with that.