T Nation

Raising Testosterone with Diet

I’m in my 40’s and am considering raising my testosterone through diet per techniques such as this:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/twofs.htm

What do you guys think of this? Basically, this has to do with adjusting total fat intake, sat. fat levels and the sat. fat/poly ratio. I guess what I’m also asking is if you think it will help long term health wise? When you’re in your 40’s, you start to ask yourself these questions…

One of the reasons I’m asking is that I feel better on a low saturated fat diet. I’m a pretty thin by nature guy, so I handle carbs quite well - in fact, I would say I thrive on them. So I’m wondering if anyone really feels like they’ve gotten a boost with use of total fat and sat fat?

This is one of the basic principals of the anabolic diet. It definitely works. And as long as your carbs are low you will burn off the cholesterol. It can’t hurt to give it a try for a month or two and then get your blood checked.

[quote]DJS wrote:
This is one of the basic principals of the anabolic diet. It definitely works. And as long as your carbs are low you will burn off the cholesterol. It can’t hurt to give it a try for a month or two and then get your blood checked. [/quote]

Well, it’s more than just having bad lipids actually. I just feel worse, feel like I don’t have mental acuity and other signs that the saturated fat is doing just what they say it does: stiffen your arteries temporarily.

It’s really an across-the-board thing.

I’m not sure what a good solution is?

There’s a whole thread called 'my experience on the anabolic diet if you want finer points answered but:

High-fat, low-carb takes a while to work. You feel shit for a while, then better.

Pros- higher testosterone (at least anecdotally), leaner

Cons- No pump at all, and carbup day= zombie day.

Oh, and you sweat a lot

Cholesterol has a bad rap, here are a few positives:

1. It’s very anabolic. Every cell membrane in our body incorporates Cholesterol…i.e. we need it.
  2. Cholesterol intake has very little, if any, effect on blood serum levels.
  3. Ketogenic diets are often particularly high in cholesterol yet serum levels fall.

I haven’t looked into it for a while, but last I remember it wasn’t the intake of cholesterol, but our overall diet that affects cholesterol serum levels. If you’re doing low carb, your blood chemistry is “cleaner,” for lack of a better term, and will deal with the treatment and incorporate of cholesterol in a better manner that will benefit your overall health, not harm it.

[quote]Whisper9999 wrote:
DJS wrote:
This is one of the basic principals of the anabolic diet. It definitely works. And as long as your carbs are low you will burn off the cholesterol. It can’t hurt to give it a try for a month or two and then get your blood checked.

Well, it’s more than just having bad lipids actually. I just feel worse, feel like I don’t have mental acuity and other signs that the saturated fat is doing just what they say it does: stiffen your arteries temporarily.

It’s really an across-the-board thing.

I’m not sure what a good solution is?

[/quote]

Just start out by cutting out bad carbs and raising your protein intake. Don’t eat any food with sugars, cut out heavy starches, no pastas, no wheat products, no rice (brown rice is ok occasionally), etc.

If you crave bread eat only sprouted grain bread, Trader Joe’s brand has only 4g of carbs per slice and 6g of protein. Eat all the veggies you want minus carrots, corn and peas. Berries are ok too. Eat lottsa meat and eggs

A super strict anabolic diet isn’t for everyone, a good low-carb, high protein diet with a reasonable fat intake works great for many people.

And don’t forget the most important thing, lottsa high quality fish oil, everyday without fail

That’s what I did and my test levels are off the charts and I feel great

Guys, we are talking about MARGINAL increases in T by manipulations of diet.

If you are truly, chronically low in T, consider visiting an endocrinologist and possibly going on HRT.