Raising a Pit Bull with Small Dogs

Im really getting the itch to buy a third dog, unfortunately i dont think i have the space for the rottweiler i wanted so i was thinking of compromising with an American pit bull terrier. I have friends with pitbulls that are awesome and my older brother used to have one but theyve either been the only dog in the household, or had other large, mollosser type dogs living with them.

My girlfriend and i have 2 cavapoos, each is about 16-17 lbs. One is a year, the other 1.5 years. My main concern is how will a pitbull be growing up with these dogs. Obviously if a pit ever attacked one of the cavapoos they wouldnt have a chance so this is a big concern as i dont want to come home one day and have to perform a revenge-killing on my pit.

Will he grow up getting along just fine with both dogs if he is raised with them from a puppy? He would be socialized well with people and dogs from the time he is a puppy. Any pitbull owners that can share any personal experience here?

Thanks.

I don’t have pit bulls, but I think sometimes it can depend on the sex of the dogs and if they are fixed or not.

A friend of mine had an incident with a pitbull puppy a few weeks ago (around 8-10 months old I think). Only reason it did not kill the older dog was because it was bigger and the owner was there to stop it. I think it started by the puppy getting possessive over a toy. I’m sure for every story like this there are many who say its fine so it depends what kind of odds you are looking for.

So why do you want a pitbull?

[quote]legendaryblaze wrote:
So why do you want a pitbull?[/quote]

In my experiences with them they have been very good dogs. They are also the perfect size for what im looking for right now, are inexpensive in my area, and i love the look of them.

I want a third dog and id really like something larger than what i already have, however im not big on labs or golden retrievers or similar dogs, and if i get a more naturally aggressive breed there is a safety concern there for my other small pups. Basically i want to know if anyone can tell me if im worrying too much or if this really might not be a great idea.

I’ve had a German Shepard and the pitbull I currently have that were raised with smaller dogs and they’re just fine. When they’re younger than the small dog and grow up with it as the leader they seem to learn to defer to smaller dogs.

[quote]audiogarden1 wrote:

In my experiences with them they have been very good dogs. They are also the perfect size for what im looking for right now, are inexpensive in my area, and i love the look of them.

I want a third dog and id really like something larger than what i already have, however im not big on labs or golden retrievers or similar dogs, and if i get a more naturally aggressive breed there is a safety concern there for my other small pups. Basically i want to know if anyone can tell me if im worrying too much or if this really might not be a great idea. [/quote]

All I’m getting from this is “I want a bad ass guard dog”. Am I correct?

My friends french bulldog bit and pulled some whiskers out of my pittbull and because they are friends he did nothing in retaliation. If you get one as a puppy and it grows up with the other dogs, you should have nothing to worry about. The best thing is get the puppy around as many other dogs as you can so it learns to socialize properly.

I don’t see how a pit bull is a compromise for a rottweiler. If you had specific reasons for wanting a rottweiler then I don’t see how you would make a pit bull your next choice unless what you want from the dog has changed.

Also, how much space do you think a rottweiler will actually take up? You also mention price. How much were you going to spend on the rottweiler because I can tell you that if you were prepared to spend over 2K then you were not planning on getting a good rottweiler. You should be thinking about getting the best dog you can, not the cheapest. A pit bull is not a less expensive, smaller version of a rottweiler.

I also don’t understand what you mean by “more naturally aggressive breeds” and I don’t think you understand either. You might want to learn a lot more about dogs before getting another one.

I want a third dog and id really like something larger than what i already have, however im not big on labs or golden retrievers or similar dogs, and if i get a more naturally aggressive breed there is a safety concern there for my other small pups. Basically i want to know if anyone can tell me if im worrying too much or if this really might not be a great idea. [/quote]

All I’m getting from this is “I want a bad ass guard dog”. Am I correct?[/quote]
How are you getting that? He’s said nothing to even insinuate that. In fact if anything I’d say it’s the opposite. He is concerned about owning a “naturally aggressive” breeds.

All I’m getting from this is “I want a bad ass guard dog”. Am I correct?[/quote]

Forgive me, ill pick something a little more feminine next time. You’ll have to undertand, im trying to compensate for my micropenis…

I have 2 fufu girly dogs already and i love em, but now i need some raw power to balance em out. Think what you want of that.

[quote]zecarlo wrote:
I don’t see how a pit bull is a compromise for a rottweiler. If you had specific reasons for wanting a rottweiler then I don’t see how you would make a pit bull your next choice unless what you want from the dog has changed.

Also, how much space do you think a rottweiler will actually take up? You also mention price. How much were you going to spend on the rottweiler because I can tell you that if you were prepared to spend over 2K then you were not planning on getting a good rottweiler. You should be thinking about getting the best dog you can, not the cheapest. A pit bull is not a less expensive, smaller version of a rottweiler.

I also don’t understand what you mean by “more naturally aggressive breeds” and I don’t think you understand either. You might want to learn a lot more about dogs before getting another one. [/quote]

A pit bull is a compromise. I dont have the money or the space for a rott right now. Pitbulls are a smaller, cheaper molloser breed. If you are still not understanding, grab a dictionary.

And pitbulls are naturally dog-aggressive breeds. It is a fact. Many mollosser type dogs are. Its not even really debatable…

What is with T-Nation always trying to spin the simplest thread into a shit-show? Its almost to the point of being pathetic.

[quote]cwill1973 wrote:
My friends french bulldog bit and pulled some whiskers out of my pittbull and because they are friends he did nothing in retaliation. If you get one as a puppy and it grows up with the other dogs, you should have nothing to worry about. The best thing is get the puppy around as many other dogs as you can so it learns to socialize properly.[/quote]

This response and what Skyzykzkzkz said are what i am hoping to hear. I would think that raising the pit from a puppy with the other dogs already fully grown and around him/her all the time would make a difference.

Also, anyone prefer male over female when it comes to pits? My current dogs are one male, one female, i have no preference either way right now.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
I’ve had a German Shepard and the pitbull I currently have that were raised with smaller dogs and they’re just fine. When they’re younger than the small dog and grow up with it as the leader they seem to learn to defer to smaller dogs.
[/quote]

I had a Pit/Rott mix that looked like some genetically engineered killing machine monster… and a sassy little shih tzu mix rescue dog. But they were raised together and the little dust mop looking sissy pretty much ran the place being older. I don’t think you’ll have much trouble out of them provided the other two dogs aren’t assholes (sometimes the fancy breeds are)

Forgive me, ill pick something a little more feminine next time. You’ll have to undertand, im trying to compensate for my micropenis…

I have 2 fufu girly dogs already and i love em, but now i need some raw power to balance em out. Think what you want of that. [/quote]

LOL, if memory serves me correctly. Aren’t you about 100lbs heavier and a foot taller than legendary blaze? Oh the internetz.

My main concern is how will a pitbull be growing up with these dogs.

Will he grow up getting along just fine with both dogs if he is raised with them from a puppy? He would be socialized well with people and dogs from the time he is a puppy. Any pitbull owners that can share any personal experience here?[/quote]
I have a spayed female AmStaff who’s almost a year and a half, had her for about 9 months. Supposedly she was rescued from a fighting ring where she wasn’t getting aggressive enough so she was on track to be for bait or breeding.

We already had two cats when she arrived (recently got a third but haven’t introduced them yet) and they’re all getting along great now. It took a few months for them all to adjust and figure out who’s who and where they are in the “pack”, but they’re all set now. The 8-year old cat doesn’t really bother with her and the 2-year old cat is the playtime buddy.

The standard, gradual training methods to introduce any new animals is pretty effective (food on opposite sides of the door, etc.) Teaching the dog “Leave it” or “leave them alone” for when she starts getting over-excited was key. Now, no matter how riled up she’s getting or how much she wants to play, that command has her stopping everything and walking over to me.

I don’t think it’s as much “aggression” as it is becoming over-excited. Over-excitement can take a turn to rough-housing, which when combined with strong jaws, can turn a playful nip into a bigger bite on smaller animals. Getting her daily exercise goes a long way in managing her energy levels and keeping her calm enough to handle playtime with the cats.

I won’t comment on a pit because I’ve never owned one, but a Boxer may be what you are looking for. Smaller than a rot. Super fun, athletic, great looking dogs, who are almost always great with all members of the family. I’ll never own a different breed.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
I won’t comment on a pit because I’ve never owned one, but a Boxer may be what you are looking for. Smaller than a rot. Super fun, athletic, great looking dogs, who are almost always great with all members of the family. I’ll never own a different breed. [/quote]

And if price is a concern, you can pick one up at a rescue or just get a white one.

[quote]cwill1973 wrote:
My friends french bulldog bit and pulled some whiskers out of my pittbull and because they are friends he did nothing in retaliation. If you get one as a puppy and it grows up with the other dogs, you should have nothing to worry about. The best thing is get the puppy around as many other dogs as you can so it learns to socialize properly.[/quote]

This response and what Skyzykzkzkz said are what i am hoping to hear. I would think that raising the pit from a puppy with the other dogs already fully grown and around him/her all the time would make a difference.

Also, anyone prefer male over female when it comes to pits? My current dogs are one male, one female, i have no preference either way right now. [/quote]

Mine was a rescue/foisting off, so it was just happenstance that she’s female. She is very kind and protective with my wife and son, playful but also very gentle.

Another guy I know has a male wasn’t too crazy about it with his kids simply because of its rambunctiousness combined with strength, which may be great under other circumstance.