Raised Heels on Full Squats

I’ve seen some people elevate their heels during full squats by placing their heel on a small 2.5lb plate during squats.

What does this do? And should one do it?

Thanks.

There are a couple of reasons people do this. One is because they don’t have enough flexibility to do a squat without their heels coming off the floor. This is usually from a lack of flexibility in the ankle.

Another reason people do this is to place more emphasis on the quads during the squat movement.

In my opinion it’s best to work on the flexibility to do full squats without needing a wedge for athletic purposes. I suppose for bodybuilding purposes it might be a useful additional training option to supplement regular squats.

[quote]Seattle_Lifter wrote:
There are a couple of reasons people do this. One is because they don’t have enough flexibility to do a squat without their heels coming off the floor. This is usually from a lack of flexibility in the ankle.

Another reason people do this is to place more emphasis on the quads during the squat movement.

In my opinion it’s best to work on the flexibility to do full squats without needing a wedge for athletic purposes. I suppose for bodybuilding purposes it might be a useful additional training option to supplement regular squats.
[/quote]

I agree 100%. Except the back squat is more of a glute/hamstrings exercise anyway for it might be a better idea to raise the heel on something like front squats.

Also, a 2.5lbs plate wouldn’t raise the heel enough IMO.

It’s supposed to increase recruitment of the vastus medialis, as well as allow for greater depth (further recruiting the medialis).

At least, thats what it’s supposed to do.

Try widening your stance and pointing your toes out more. Also be sure to push your knees out when you decend. This helped me.

I know when I first started squating I had the same problem, but for me it was a balance issue.

Good luck!

what do you mean by, “push your knees out”?

Where you watching me squat last nigh?

I use a plate to raise my heel on some of my front squat days - i like it because it helps me to keep my back real nice and straight through out the ROM…

“push the knees out” = don’t buckle it inwards; keep it inline w/ pointing outward toes…

Raised heels prevent the ankle flexors from being a limiting factor in while descending into a back squat.

I would try to ween myself off them slowly (go from a board to a 5# plate, to a 2.5#plate, etc). The exception to this would be for Oly lifters that already have a large lift in the heels of their shoes.

I don’t lift with a plate under my heels, but I do lift with OL that have a good sized heel built in. Makes it easier to sit deep in front/back squats, and snatches…but you still need to be able to do the movements without the lift. That is why I finish my workouts with barefoot overhead squats with just the bar.