T Nation

Raise Testosterone, Kill Vampires.

Turns out garlic supplementation increases testosterone:

[quote]Garlic supplementation increases testicular testosterone and decreases plasma corticosterone in rats fed a high protein diet.Oi Y, Imafuku M, Shishido C, Kominato Y, Nishimura S, Iwai K.
Laboratory of Nutrition Chemistry, Faculty of Home Economics, Kobe Women’s University, Suma-ku, Kobe 654-8585, Japan. oi@suma.kobe-wu.ac.jp

The effects of garlic supplementation on protein metabolism were investigated by measuring testis testosterone and plasma corticosterone in rats fed diets with different protein levels. In Experiment 1, rats were fed experimental diets with different protein levels (40, 25 or 10 g/100 g casein) with or without 0.8 g/100 g garlic powder.

After 28 d of feeding, testosterone contents in the testis were significantly higher and plasma corticosterone concentrations were significantly lower in rats fed 40 and 25% casein diets with garlic powder than in those fed the same diets without garlic powder. Urinary excretion of 17-ketosteroid (an index of testosterone), nitrogen balance and hepatic arginase activity were significantly higher in rats fed the 40% casein diet with garlic powder than in the 40% casein controls.

In Experiment 2, the effect of diallyldisulfide (a major volatile sulfur-containing compound in garlic) on the secretion of luteinizing hormone (LH) from the pituitary gland, which regulates testosterone production in the testis, was investigated in anesthetized rats. Plasma LH concentration increased dose dependently after administration of diallyldisulfide (P < 0.01, r = 0.558).

These results suggest that dietary supplementation with 0.8 g/100 g garlic alters hormones associated with protein anabolism by increasing testicular testosterone and decreasing plasma corticosterone in rats fed a high protein diet.[/quote]

This is just for those who didn’t know.

If only all the nutrition research would just dump these retarded studies and start from the point of “unprocessed, whole foods are good and they raise everything that’s good and lower everything that’s bad”…it’s never going to happen. Every week there’s a bunch of new studies that conform to one of these two templates:

  1. Turns out [insert processed food we’ve been eating all our lives] is cancerous and shitty.

  2. As it just so happens [insert whole food which has been neglected] is a fucking miracle food, is supergreat and cures aids.

Thanks assholes. Destroying agriculture and creating the Low-Fat epidemic were great services to the world.

----rant end----------

OP, thanks for providing a landing strip for my venting.

No problem. You’ve just made me feel luckier-I get all my green veggies straight for the garden as well as other things straight from nature. I’m definitely grateful for it (I couldn’t imagine living in a city where I can’t grow a lot of my own food).

And I thought this was going to be a Whedon thread.

Testoserone loaded vampire slayers in space.

[quote]christine wrote:
And I thought this was going to be a Whedon thread.

Testoserone loaded vampire slayers in space.[/quote]

So how big a geek does it make me that when I read that, I got really excited for some sort of weird Angel/Buffy/Firefly hybrid?

Oh, yeah, whole foods rock.

-Gendou

[quote]gendou57 wrote:
christine wrote:
And I thought this was going to be a Whedon thread.

Testoserone loaded vampire slayers in space.

So how big a geek does it make me that when I read that, I got really excited for some sort of weird Angel/Buffy/Firefly hybrid?

Oh, yeah, whole foods rock.

-Gendou[/quote]

At lease, as big of a geek as me.

We can dream though, can’t we?

I usually eat raw crushed raw garlic when I feel a cold coming on. I don’t know about vampires, but it can sure keep everyone else away

[quote]gendou57 wrote:
christine wrote:
And I thought this was going to be a Whedon thread.

Testoserone loaded vampire slayers in space.

So how big a geek does it make me that when I read that, I got really excited for some sort of weird Angel/Buffy/Firefly hybrid?

Oh, yeah, whole foods rock.

-Gendou[/quote]

Yea whole foods is great, but also expensive as hell for most people. Damn I hate being a student.

[quote]Majin wrote:

  1. Turns out [insert processed food we’ve been eating all our lives] is cancerous and shitty.

  2. As it just so happens [insert whole food which has been neglected] is a fucking miracle food, is supergreat and cures aids.
    [/quote]

LOL

[quote]BoxBabaX wrote:
gendou57 wrote:
christine wrote:
And I thought this was going to be a Whedon thread.

Testoserone loaded vampire slayers in space.

So how big a geek does it make me that when I read that, I got really excited for some sort of weird Angel/Buffy/Firefly hybrid?

Oh, yeah, whole foods rock.

-Gendou

Yea whole foods is great, but also expensive as hell for most people. Damn I hate being a student.
[/quote]

Unless you grow it. Wait a second…people will pay for the food I grow+next day shipment=$$

I love garlic, I could eat it every day, people around me be damned, but…

[quote]Fulmen wrote:
supplementation with 0.8 g/100 g garlic[/quote]

…holy shit, that’s a lot of garlic, that’s, what, 720g garlic for a 200lb person?

Anyway, if the study is valid, I foresee an “Alpha Male, garlic version” some time soon. :slight_smile:

[quote]Fulmen wrote:
BoxBabaX wrote:
gendou57 wrote:
christine wrote:
And I thought this was going to be a Whedon thread.

Testoserone loaded vampire slayers in space.

So how big a geek does it make me that when I read that, I got really excited for some sort of weird Angel/Buffy/Firefly hybrid?

Oh, yeah, whole foods rock.

-Gendou

Yea whole foods is great, but also expensive as hell for most people. Damn I hate being a student.

Unless you grow it. Wait a second…people will pay for the food I grow+next day shipment=$$
[/quote]

? I was talking about the supermarket: Whole Foods.

[quote]BoxBabaX wrote:
Fulmen wrote:
BoxBabaX wrote:
gendou57 wrote:
christine wrote:
And I thought this was going to be a Whedon thread.

Testoserone loaded vampire slayers in space.

So how big a geek does it make me that when I read that, I got really excited for some sort of weird Angel/Buffy/Firefly hybrid?

Oh, yeah, whole foods rock.

-Gendou

Yea whole foods is great, but also expensive as hell for most people. Damn I hate being a student.

Unless you grow it. Wait a second…people will pay for the food I grow+next day shipment=$$

? I was talking about the supermarket: Whole Foods.
[/quote]

I was just talking about eating, ya know, foods made from fresh ingredients. Not canned or microwave stuff, but chicken breast and fresh veggies. Yum.

-Gendou

So why is it I’ve never seen a hyooge Korean?

[quote]gendou57 wrote:
BoxBabaX wrote:
Fulmen wrote:
BoxBabaX wrote:
gendou57 wrote:
christine wrote:
And I thought this was going to be a Whedon thread.

Testoserone loaded vampire slayers in space.

So how big a geek does it make me that when I read that, I got really excited for some sort of weird Angel/Buffy/Firefly hybrid?

Oh, yeah, whole foods rock.

-Gendou

Yea whole foods is great, but also expensive as hell for most people. Damn I hate being a student.

Unless you grow it. Wait a second…people will pay for the food I grow+next day shipment=$$

? I was talking about the supermarket: Whole Foods.

I was just talking about eating, ya know, foods made from fresh ingredients. Not canned or microwave stuff, but chicken breast and fresh veggies. Yum.

-Gendou[/quote]

Microwave stuff, hah I would rather go broke than eat that.

[quote]florin wrote:

Fulmen wrote:
supplementation with 0.8 g/100 g garlic

…holy shit, that’s a lot of garlic, that’s, what, 720g garlic for a 200lb person?[/quote]

That is a crapload; I hope the recommendation was only for one’s pet rat. I don’t think I could afford a pound of garlic a day, let alone eat it. And if I’m reading this nutrition data correctly, it would amount to over 200g of carbs.

It’s called a typo. If they use “0.8/100”, they meant to put 0.8/1.00, or already thought people would recognize it as 1.00. Use your common sense. Why the hell would they say 0.8/100? That’s a big leap, don’t you think?

[quote]florin wrote:

…holy shit, that’s a lot of garlic, that’s, what, 720g garlic for a 200lb person?
[/quote]

Go back to math class smart guy.

[quote]Fulmen wrote:
It’s called a typo. If they use “0.8/100”, they meant to put 0.8/1.00, or already thought people would recognize it as 1.00. Use your common sense. Why the hell would they say 0.8/100? That’s a big leap, don’t you think?[/quote]
Frankly, that makes no sense whatsoever.

Our assumption is that they are supplementing the rats with .8g garlic per 100g body weight. For the average rat, we’re talking a clove of garlic, which seems feasible. If there’s some other possible interpretation, please share.

Read this closely again, the 40 g/100g casein diet means 40% casein diet, therefore the .8g/100g garlic diet means .8% garlic diet.

Due to higher metabolic rates, the effective dosages per unit of weight for medications is something like ten times higher in rats than in humans. Or maybe it was twice. Whatever, you get the idea.