Rage Against the Machine

Ok so we all know they kick(ed) ass musically, now what does everyone thing of thier politics. Since they put quite a bit of it in thier songs, I say we see what people think. I find that I agree with some of their sentiments, though I generally don’t agree with all of thier nuanced positions.

Take the Power Back is my favorite song.

V

AWESOME musicians . . . when my anarchy itch kicks into high gear, they can add some decent fuel to the fire - lol

that aside - I do disagree with some of their political viewpoints - but that’s ok, because I think they add some good diversity to the mix and they get young people at least thinking about politics . . .

[quote]Vegita wrote:
Ok so we all know they kick(ed) ass musically, now what does everyone thing of thier politics. Since they put quite a bit of it in thier songs, I say we see what people think. I find that I agree with some of their sentiments, though I generally don’t agree with all of thier nuanced positions.

V[/quote]

I like their music, and I like their politics. I have the DVD of their “Battle of Mexico City”, concert and it is very powerful. Favorite Song: “Guerrilla Radio”.

I’m down. More so during the Cheney Administration. I more or less lost faith in the government and democracy. So…yeah.

[quote]Vegita wrote:

V[/quote]

I think they’re a pack of scumbags. On a good day. They played a concert for that cop killer from Philly. Enough for me to ignore them.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
Vegita wrote:

V

I think they’re a pack of scumbags. On a good day. They played a concert for that cop killer from Philly. Enough for me to ignore them.[/quote]

Not that I agree with killing anyone, but why should killing a cop be any more looked down upon than killing an innocent civilian, At least the cop knows people might try to kill him and he has training and weapons to defend against it. I don’t know the specifics of the case so I can’t comment unless you give me more info. I’m pretty sure there must have been some controversy over the incident like the cop must have been overstepping his bounds or something. I’m sure they wouldn’t play a concert for a guy who just walks up and pops a cop for no reason, or to get out of a speeding ticket or something. I’m not sure why I responded to this, just something about how it reads when you use the word cop killer. Sorry if I am taking this out of context.

V

[quote]Vegita wrote:
tom63 wrote:
Vegita wrote:

V

I think they’re a pack of scumbags. On a good day. They played a concert for that cop killer from Philly. Enough for me to ignore them.

Not that I agree with killing anyone, but why should killing a cop be any more looked down upon than killing an innocent civilian, At least the cop knows people might try to kill him and he has training and weapons to defend against it. I don’t know the specifics of the case so I can’t comment unless you give me more info. I’m pretty sure there must have been some controversy over the incident like the cop must have been overstepping his bounds or something. I’m sure they wouldn’t play a concert for a guy who just walks up and pops a cop for no reason, or to get out of a speeding ticket or something. I’m not sure why I responded to this, just something about how it reads when you use the word cop killer. Sorry if I am taking this out of context.

V[/quote]

The concert was for Mumia Abu-Jamal, who was arrested and convicted for the murder of Daniel Faulkner, a Philadelphia police officer, in 1981,

It’s a contentious issue, with a lot of people believing Mumia was framed, and a lot of people convinced he did it, and should surely hang for it.

His death warrant was signed by none other than Tom Ridge, then governor of Pennsylvania, later head of Homeland Insecurity. Mumia languishes in SCI Green prison to this day.

Rage Against The Machine indeed dedicated a concert to the “Free Mumia” movement, which led to their being protested in Massacchusetts by over five hundred policemen.

The band bought donuts for them all.

All the way back to their video for “Freedom” about Leonard Peltier and how he has been railroaded and prosecuted unfairly.

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
I’m down. More so during the Cheney Administration. I more or less lost faith in the government and democracy. So…yeah. [/quote]

That’s good because you are a citizen of a republic not a democracy.

â??A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.â??

Thomas Jefferson

"Rally round tha family! With a pocket full of shells
They rally round tha family! With a pocket full of shells

Bulls on parade"

D

They are unbelieveably over-rated in my opinion. One time in high school I went to a party with a bunch of people I didn’t know. I was about two hours into it. There were a bunch of preppy/frat-type white guys there, a couple black guys, I really don’t remember much because I got totally shit faced.

Anyways… Most of the music playing was rap music, but they decided to play a rage against the machine song - the one where he screams “fuck you I wont do what you told me” over and over at the end… Well…

All the preppy white guys started screaming along to it… “FUCK YOU I WONT DO WHAT YOU TOLD ME!”… GOD it was SOOOOOO fucking LAME! A bunch of lame white boys screaming at each other “fuck you I wont do what you told me!” and they were acting all tough like they were ready to fight somebody… OH MY GOD! I just couldn’t stop looking at it… They were just acting retarded, it was seriously lame.

I actually got goosebumps up my back because of the lameness. Like those times where you are embarassed for someone? Yeah, just like that.

It’s a shame when good, even semi-good music goes to lamer white frat boy jock types like that. I stopped liking rage against the machine altogether after that shit.

Ugh… Just thinking about that night gives me goosebumps. It was just a total train wreck.

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
It’s a shame when good, even semi-good music goes to lamer white frat boy jock types like that. I stopped liking rage against the machine altogether after that shit.

Ugh… Just thinking about that night gives me goosebumps. It was just a total train wreck.[/quote]

I don’t understand your point. Do you dislike the music because a bunch of frat rats were jamming to it? I am as putt off by frat rats as anybody (and had frequent fights with them when I was in college…they are typically obnoxious assholes), but the music should be judged on its own merits (or lack thereof), not held guilty by association.

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
They are unbelieveably over-rated in my opinion. One time in high school I went to a party with a bunch of people I didn’t know. I was about two hours into it. There were a bunch of preppy/frat-type white guys there, a couple black guys, I really don’t remember much because I got totally shit faced.

Anyways… Most of the music playing was rap music, but they decided to play a rage against the machine song - the one where he screams “fuck you I wont do what you told me” over and over at the end… Well…

All the preppy white guys started screaming along to it… “FUCK YOU I WONT DO WHAT YOU TOLD ME!”… GOD it was SOOOOOO fucking LAME! A bunch of lame white boys screaming at each other “fuck you I wont do what you told me!” and they were acting all tough like they were ready to fight somebody… OH MY GOD! I just couldn’t stop looking at it… They were just acting retarded, it was seriously lame.

I actually got goosebumps up my back because of the lameness. Like those times where you are embarassed for someone? Yeah, just like that.

Ugh… Just thinking about that night gives me goosebumps. It was just a total train wreck.[/quote]

I fail to see how someone else liking a song has anything to do with you liking it. Like for instance, what if you stumbled in upon two men playing with eachothers penis to your favorite band. Would you instantly hate the band just because some ball smugglers were using it to get off with eachother, or on eachother if you will?

V

[quote]skaz05 wrote:

SUPERIORITY COMPLEX Def:
An exaggerated feeling of being superior to others.
A psychological defense mechanism in which feelings of superiority counter or conceal feelings of INFERIORITY.

[quote]entheogens wrote:
skaz05 wrote:

Ugh… Just thinking about that night gives me goosebumps. It was just a total train wreck.

I don’t understand your point. Do you dislike the music because a bunch of frat rats were jamming to it? I am as putt off by frat rats as anybody (and had frequent fights with them when I was in college…they are typically obnoxious assholes), but the music should be judged on its own merits (or lack thereof), not held guilty by association.
[/quote]

I was never really a big fan of rage in the first place, I think they have a couple decent songs but other than that I think they are one of the most over-rated bands of all time. Yeah, I know it’s kind of stupid to throw a band under the bus because lamers like them too, but something inside me clicked that night… Wathcing those lamers jump up and down screaming at each other like they were going to fight… It was a moment that lives in my head forever… It was so unbearably LAME and embarassing. Whenever I hear that song, I think of that night and those lame white dudes. If you have ever drank too much jagermiester one night and totally puked your guts out, and from then on every time you see/smell a bottle of jager you automatically go into puke mode - that’s kind of what it’s like.

I notice that rage against the machine fans think that they are some sort of intellectual/thinking man’s rock group. The anti-capitalistic message they pretend to embrace proves how hypocritical they really are. Each band member is a multi-millionare, and has made their money because of the capitalist model they pretend to loathe. It’s pure hypocrisy, they are a product groomed for commerical purposes by a giant corporation.

Anyway, that’s just what I think.

[quote]Vegita wrote:
skaz05 wrote:

I fail to see how someone else liking a song has anything to do with you liking it. Like for instance, what if you stumbled in upon two men playing with eachothers penis to your favorite band. Would you instantly hate the band just because some ball smugglers were using it to get off with eachother, or on eachother if you will?

V[/quote]

I fail to see how they could possibly do that with Judy Garlands greated hits!

[quote]Vegita wrote:

V[/quote]

It depends I guess. Like I stated earlier, I wasn’t much of a fan of rage in the first place, so the lame white boy night kind of jus tpushed it over the edge for me.

It happened with metallica too. I was such a HUGE fan of metallica, they were my life, that is until lamers started liking them too. I remember metallica being such a dark and mysterious band, it was all shattered when they started doing love songs and started getting airtime on my mom’s favorite classic rock station… Then I started seeing metallican shirts at high school worn by wiggers and “SAD BUT TROOOOOOOOOOO-OOOOOOOO-WAH!” blaring out of minivans and shit. “Yeah, metallica is fucking HARDCORE YO!”

Whheeewww… Part of me is SO glad the 90s is over.

But not to hijack the thread. I don’t think that rage against the machine’s “political message” is genuine and I never thought it was.

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
SUPERIORITY COMPLEX Def:
A psychological defense mechanism in which feelings of superiority counter or conceal feelings of INFERIORITY.
[/quote]

Please… If you knew me you would know that I am NOTHING of the sort.

You know what happens when you ASSUME…

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
Dedicated wrote:
SUPERIORITY COMPLEX Def:

Please… If you knew me you would know that I am NOTHING of the sort.

You know what happens when you ASSUME…[/quote]

LOL. Maybe maturity will one day bring you clarity for what you cannot see now.

Take er easy.

D

[quote]Brett295 wrote:
Growing_Boy wrote:
I’m down. More so during the Cheney Administration. I more or less lost faith in the government and democracy. So…yeah.

That’s good because you are a citizen of a republic not a democracy.

â??A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.â??

Thomas Jefferson[/quote]

I have no flag…I belong to no nation.