T Nation

Radicals Vs. Moderates

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/01/17/warwithin.overview/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

Guess whose winning? Anybody want to live under islamic law? At least we could beat our women and cut off their clitorises legally; if you are in to such a thing.

As a Muslim, I am appalled by these comments, they are totally unnecessary. These people give Islam a bad name. This is not how things were done in the beginning of Islamic time, and will never be done that way. God forbid, Muslims didn’t drink the blood of the enemies, and never will. Islam promotes peace, and everyone should promote peace.

There are a few people who give Islam a bad name, like the people in this article. They are a group of a few people, and they think they can speak on behalf of all Muslims (1.7 billion Muslims in the world). They are totally wrong. They need to go about their everyday lives and be peaceful and mindful of everyone around them.

Trust me, 99% percent of Muslims in the world are good, law abiding citizens, working hard and making an honest living. It’s the 1% that have to give Islam a bad rap, it’s totally uncalled for.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
Trust me, 99% percent of Muslims in the world are good, law abiding citizens, working hard and making an honest living. It’s the 1% that have to give Islam a bad rap, it’s totally uncalled for.[/quote]

Unfortunately, 1% of 1.7 billion leaves 17,000,000 people who want to kill us. Even China, who have the largest standing army in the world, don’t have close to that many troops.

If you can tell apart the 1% from the 99%, I’d suggest dealing with the problem yourselves. Pronto.

[quote]pookie wrote:

Unfortunately, 1% of 1.7 billion leaves 17,000,000 people who want to kill us.
(snip)
If you can tell apart the 1% from the 99%, I’d suggest dealing with the problem yourselves. Pronto.
[/quote]

Don’t worry, I have it on good authority that it’s the radical Christians that we should be watching out for. Janet Reno says a few well-placed house fires will thin the herd.

[quote]pookie wrote:
tmoney1 wrote:
Trust me, 99% percent of Muslims in the world are good, law abiding citizens, working hard and making an honest living. It’s the 1% that have to give Islam a bad rap, it’s totally uncalled for.

Unfortunately, 1% of 1.7 billion leaves 17,000,000 people who want to kill us. Even China, who have the largest standing army in the world, don’t have close to that many troops.

[/quote]

Exactly. It is a real mess with no easy solution.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
As a Muslim…[/quote]

I have a question. Do moderate muslim view the Qu’ran like moderate Christian view the Bible?

What I mean is, is the Qu’ran to be interpreted literally as Allah’s direct instruction, or is it seen as moral guide with some wiggle room in how to live your life?

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
As a Muslim, I am appalled by these comments, they are totally unnecessary. These people give Islam a bad name. This is not how things were done in the beginning of Islamic time, and will never be done that way. God forbid, Muslims didn’t drink the blood of the enemies, and never will. Islam promotes peace, and everyone should promote peace.

There are a few people who give Islam a bad name, like the people in this article. They are a group of a few people, and they think they can speak on behalf of all Muslims (1.7 billion Muslims in the world). They are totally wrong. They need to go about their everyday lives and be peaceful and mindful of everyone around them.

Trust me, 99% percent of Muslims in the world are good, law abiding citizens, working hard and making an honest living. It’s the 1% that have to give Islam a bad rap, it’s totally uncalled for.[/quote]

Actually, the number of Muslims in the world I’ve heard kicked around is nearer to 1.2 Billion. Anyway, as a Muslim, is there a movement with in Islam to stamp out the heresy? If the the radical portion is a fraction of the larger majority the sheer numbers of moderate should be enough to overwelm the much smaller radical movement. I quote Jim Morrison when I say “They got the guns, but we got the numbers.”
The problem is that I do not see a signifigant temperance of violence movement with in Islam. It’s all about hating Bush and Isreal; which is getting old quite frankly. I understand the media is doing it part to make radical Islam look like the norm and they appear to agree with it. I assume they unite with anybody who hates Bush. But honestly, if the moderate contigent would stand up the this and quell the many factions of radical movements, I am pretty sure we’d here about it.
The best solution for everybody would be for Islam to clean it’s own house.

[quote]pookie wrote:
tmoney1 wrote:

[/quote]

Putting it into numbers like that gives it a certain “wow” factor.

[quote]PGA wrote:
Putting it into numbers like that gives it a certain “wow” factor.[/quote]

Tiny percentiles of huge numbers usually amount to more than what people expect.

A billion is a lot. If you count 1, 2, 3… at a rate of one number per second, it takes 11.5 days to reach 1 million, but almost 32 years to reach 1 billion.

Wow…

[quote]pookie wrote:
tmoney1 wrote:
As a Muslim…

I have a question. Do moderate muslim view the Qu’ran like moderate Christian view the Bible?

What I mean is, is the Qu’ran to be interpreted literally as Allah’s direct instruction, or is it seen as moral guide with some wiggle room in how to live your life?

[/quote]

Nearly all of the Muslims I knew in college drank, smoked, and fucked just like the rest of us. A few of them went to mosque now and then all the same. So yes, Muslims are humans too.

[quote]pookie wrote:
tmoney1 wrote:

[/quote]

Actually I would say it’s significantly less than 1%. After you put it in the context of numbers, that’s a lot of people, so I would say less than 1%.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
pookie wrote:
tmoney1 wrote:

Actually I would say it’s significantly less than 1%. After you put it in the context of numbers, that’s a lot of people, so I would say less than 1%.[/quote]

There was this study though that showed that even in “moderate” muslim countries the rate is MUCH higher…

Want me to look for it?

Do you insist on 1% or do I seriously have to dive in my pile of books?

[quote]etaco wrote:
Nearly all of the Muslims I knew in college drank, smoked, and fucked just like the rest of us. A few of them went to mosque now and then all the same. So yes, Muslims are humans too.[/quote]

I guess I need to meet more muslims. The only one I knew (briefly) was a coworker, but the subject of religion never came up and he’s since left the company.

[quote]pookie wrote:
tmoney1 wrote:
As a Muslim…

[/quote]

Pookie,

The Quran is guidance for Muslims, but there is give and take. There are exceptions to everything. The Quran should be followed at all times. It is a template for Islamic life, but there are exceptions.

For instance, you are supposed to pray 5 times a day. If you miss a prayer for whatever reason, you can make up that prayer later on in the day. For instance, if the early afternoon prayer is at 1.00pm, and I have a job interview at that time, and don’t get out until 2pm, then I can make that up. Allah knows your situations and circumstances.

[quote]etaco wrote:
pookie wrote:
tmoney1 wrote:
As a Muslim…

Nearly all of the Muslims I knew in college drank, smoked, and fucked just like the rest of us. A few of them went to mosque now and then all the same. So yes, Muslims are humans too.[/quote]

Google “al Takfir wal hijra” and look at some of the sites. It refers to “hiding in plain sight”. As in the 9/11 pilots being in a strip club and drinking. Everyone was puzzled and claimed they were hipocrites. Ramzi Yousef, the WTC bomber in 93 didn’t do anything a practicing Muslim would do.

With these radical groups, it is ok to whore around, drink, not pray, do whatever it takes to blend in with those around you. That is why we are probably in a world of shit. Those “regular guys” in college could very well have been guys like that. I know you are thinking I’m nuts, but check out al Takfir wal hijra.

My thoughts are they are a lot smarter than we think, and more determined to succeed at what they have in mind, and that is to kill all infidels and disrupt all societies that don’t want to convert.

In Obsession: Radical Islam the indi flick, a former PLO terrorist claimed it was more like 10 to 15%, and nothing like the 1% stated above, that were fundamentalists and wanted us dead.

[quote]Actually, the number of Muslims in the world I’ve heard kicked around is nearer to 1.2 Billion.

Anyway, as a Muslim, is there a movement with in Islam to stamp out the heresy? If the the radical portion is a fraction of the larger majority the sheer numbers of moderate should be enough to overwelm the much smaller radical movement.

I quote Jim Morrison when I say “They got the guns, but we got the numbers.”
The problem is that I do not see a signifigant temperance of violence movement with in Islam. It’s all about hating Bush and Isreal; which is getting old quite frankly.

I understand the media is doing it part to make radical Islam look like the norm and they appear to agree with it. I assume they unite with anybody who hates Bush. But honestly, if the moderate contigent would stand up the this and quell the many factions of radical movements, I am pretty sure we’d here about it.
The best solution for everybody would be for Islam to clean it’s own house.[/quote]

A new census came out in November stating it is closer to 1.7 billion. It was done by a council in Saudi Arabia.

There is a movement, but it’s not worldwide, unfortunately. Muslims are trying to stamp it out in their respective communities, and hopefully one by one it will get eliminated.

I agree with you, a radical portion is a small fraction of the larger majority, but the radical fraction are the people who are speaking out and saying wrong things. Most muslims live and act in peace, they mind their own business, and hence, that’s why you don’t hear about moderate muslims as much as radical muslims. If you have 10 muslims, 9 moderate muslims, and 1 radical, and it’s the radical muslim who does all the talking, then you are going to remember that person, not the 9 people who acted in peace.

Islam is trying to clean it’s own house community by community. I’ll admit, it’s a large project, and it will be hard, but by the grace of Allah, we will be successful.

Yes I agree Muslims are humans, and no human in perfect. Everyone makes mistakes.

Take your avatar for instance. Mike Tyson. He is Muslim. But he was convicted of drug charges and faces several years in prison. He is human, but is not acting like a Muslim.

Looks like the Muslims you knew didn’t practice Islam in any way, and give Islam a bad name.

Just curious, where were your Muslim friends from? It seems to me that when Muslims come to the US from strict Islamic countries, Europe, and Asia, they tend to put religion on the backburner and live the high life.

[quote]pookie wrote:
etaco wrote:
Nearly all of the Muslims I knew in college drank, smoked, and fucked just like the rest of us. A few of them went to mosque now and then all the same. So yes, Muslims are humans too.

I guess I need to meet more muslims. The only one I knew (briefly) was a coworker, but the subject of religion never came up and he’s since left the company.
[/quote]

You have met me. PM me sometimes and we’ll discuss further.

Just to let everyone know:

I AM NOT A RADICAL MUSLIM. I do not support their acts in any shape or form. Even though they are Muslim, their acts are non-Islamic and should not be accepted.

I am just a moderate Muslim, who loves and practices Islam daily, and loves to spread Islam through acts of kindness.

If anyone is interested in learning more about Islam, you are more than welcome to PM me anytime and we can have a discussion.