Radical Diet

Hey guys, I had a question for you all. I was thinking about doing the Radical Diet. I was wondering, do you think that its a legit diet, or do you think that a person might lose to much muscle on a diet like this? Its 1200 calories a day until you hit your goal of 2 to 3 pounds lost, then a 2000 calorie carb up day. I’m currently 215 and about 15.5 percent body fat.

My goal is 8 percent or lower. I just dont see how a guy would’nt lose muscle on a diet like this. Any opinions on guys who have done the diet or anyone else would be much appreciated thanks.

Thats what the diet calls for. You set goals of 2 to 3 pounds lost then carb up to only 2000 calories. Other than that its mostly protein alittle fat and no carbs. I just dont see how it could produce decent results. Yeah you would lose weight but I think that it would be alot of muscle along with it.

I’d try either the V-Diet or John Berardi’s Get Shredded Diet. In the GSD, you have 5 BCAA drinks spread throughout the day as well as a fat burner such as HOT-ROX, but even then I think the calories are higher than 1200.

I wouldn’t even try it, as its just not worth the risk.

Do the Velocity Diet bro. 1200 kcals per day is just no bueno. You’re gonna be betting the barn and you’re gonna lose the sum bitch. In other words your gonna catabolize and be miserable.

fuck low cal. Get on the AD. I’m taking in 4000 cal/day. You can see my food log in the AD thread near the end. And I’m sill LOSING weight. kicks ass.

[quote]ironjoe wrote:
fuck low cal. Get on the AD. I’m taking in 4000 cal/day. You can see my food log in the AD thread near the end. And I’m sill LOSING weight. kicks ass.[/quote]

NO FUCKING WAY! How many kcals are coming from carbs joe?

I’m doing AD right now and I love it so far. I was thinking about maybe dropping down to 2500 or 2000 calories on the diet. I thought Dr. Mauro Di Pasquale was alittle out of his mind by saying 1200 calories is sufficent to hold onto muslce.

4000 calories and losing that is sick.

[quote]ironjoe wrote:
fuck low cal. Get on the AD. I’m taking in 4000 cal/day. You can see my food log in the AD thread near the end. And I’m sill LOSING weight. kicks ass.[/quote]

How many hours/week do you train and what types of training do you use?

I believe it, I’m losing weight fast on 3000 a day with about 10hrs a week, if you’re one of those 20hr people like JB talks about in his G-flux articles, I can definitely see 4000 being low enough.

Yeah, I was at about 3500 for my break-in period for the diet, and now at about 3000 and I’m losing weight.

Does anyone else feel really flat all the time on the diet. I know that I’m losing fat but that whole psychological thing that Chris S. talks about is really getting to me. When I started the diet I was about 228 now at 212-215. I just feel smaller and flat all the time.

i dont understand your avatar

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:
i dont understand your avatar[/quote]

who?

[quote]ChadMCC wrote:
Hey guys, I had a question for you all. I was thinking about doing the Radical Diet. I was wondering, do you think that its a legit diet, or do you think that a person might lose to much muscle on a diet like this? Its 1200 calories a day until you hit your goal of 2 to 3 pounds lost, then a 2000 calorie carb up day. I’m currently 215 and about 15.5 percent body fat.

My goal is 8 percent or lower. I just dont see how a guy would’nt lose muscle on a diet like this. Any opinions on guys who have done the diet or anyone else would be much appreciated thanks.[/quote]

That is a terrible idea, and here is why:

1200kcals is not alot. You are going to be restricting all of your macronutrients immensely. And I am sure you are planning on tossing out those worthless carbs in favor of protein and fat.

On a 1200kcal diet, you are probably going to be restricting your carbohydrates by alot.

If you go under 50-100g of CHO in a day, you are going to be depleting your glycogen stores and your body will start the metabolic process of gluconeogenesis(the formation of new glucose). Essentially when this happens your body uses other means such as amino acids and the glycerol portion of fat to produce new glucose molecules. You will essentially be breaking down bodytissue or muscle to make glucose. This is bad. Now there is some muscle sparring effect that occurs during ketosis, but its all a very retarded dieting approach.

Furthermore, for every gram of glycogen in the body there is 3 grams of water. You will lose a lot of muscle glycogen and body water when you are taking in 1200kcal, and then be gaining back all that water weight on your “carb up” day. It defeats the purpose of weight loss altogether. IT might end up making you wonder why you are losing weight and gaining it all back.

If you are seriously at 215, 15%bf then maybe you shouldn’t be losing 2-3lbs in a week. You are already fairly lean, and your dietting approach should be less drastic. A few hundred calories below maintenance and/or increased cardio should do.