Rack Pulls

I just started added rack pulls into my pull day #2 program. I decided this becuase i hit 430lb on the dead and decided i need more assistance. I was wondering what weight i should be rack pulling given my deadlift stats?

• 10-20% given the starting bar height

Sounds about right… though you may have to work up to it a bit… since you’ll be hitting some things a bit more than they usually are.

Why not just add on the weight working up to a max?

i only do singles for deads, i increase 5-10lbs a week cause ima very high testosterone 16 yo full of cum

[quote]Babalu wrote:
i only do singles for deads, i increase 5-10lbs a week cause ima very high testosterone 16 yo full of cum[/quote]

Full of cum, you suck dicks that often? On a serious note, why the need to switch to rack pulls?

well no im straight…i just want to add rack pulls cause i heard they can seriously benefit the deadlift lockout, not that i have trouble with it…i just want even more strength

How often do you pull? Will you be pulling one day and then doing rack pulls on the second day? The reason I ask is because I tend to have backward progress when I pull for more than three weeks in a row. Where do you miss at in your deadlift. I have never got any carry over from rack pulls beside a stronger grip and upper back. Now I know you are saying wait a minute, that sounds like carry over to me. Well, I feel if your lockout sucks, then more hip work could do you some good as well. Low box squats and arched back wide stance GM’s ,have done more for my lockout than any rack pull or reverse band pull ever has.

here’s my MMA program, i rarely ever do the optional exercises, and i go 2-4 reps per exercise except for deads

Routine

Sunday ? Legs

Squats x6
Front Squats x5
Hack Squats x2
Overhead Squats x2
Leg Extensions (Optional)x3
Hindu Squats (Optional)

Monday ? Pull #1

Chinups x4
Pullups x2
Alt Grip Pullups x2
Alternating DB Uprights x3
Bent Rows x4

Wednesday ? Push #1

Wide Grip Bench x3
Decline Bench x2
Front Dips x4
Military Press x3
French Press x3
Flies (Optional) x3

Thursday ? Pull #2

Deadlifts x3
Sumo Deadlifts x2
Rack Pulls x3
Chinups x4
DB Rows x4
Farmers Walk x3

Saturday ? Push #2

Bench Press x2
Decline Bench x3
Dips x3
Front Dips x2
Pushups x3
Triangle Pushups x1

[quote]Babalu wrote:
I just started added rack pulls into my pull day #2 program. I decided this becuase i hit 430lb on the dead and decided i need more assistance. I was wondering what weight i should be rack pulling given my deadlift stats?[/quote]

you’ll be able to pull differing amounts form differing heights that you set the rack pull from…

believe it or not, some people actually pull less from some rack heights than they can pull from the ground…it all depends on where your sticking points are…

the amount you should be pulling is highly variable between individuals…you won’t have an accurate answer until you pull the weight for yourself…

[quote]Babalu wrote:
here’s my MMA program, i rarely ever do the optional exercises, and i go 2-4 reps per exercise except for deads

Routine

Sunday ? Legs

Squats x6
Front Squats x5
Hack Squats x2
Overhead Squats x2
Hindu Squats (Optional)

Monday ? Pull #1

Chinups x4
Pullups x2
Alt Grip Pullups x2
Bent Rows x4

Wednesday ? Push #1

Wide Grip Bench x3
Decline Bench x2
Front Dips x4
Military Press x3
French Press x3
Flies (Optional) x3

Thursday ? Pull #2

Deadlifts x3
Sumo Deadlifts x2
Rack Pulls x3
Chinups x4
DB Rows x4
Farmers Walk x3

Saturday ? Push #2

Bench Press x2
Decline Bench x3
Dips x3
Front Dips x2
Pushups x3
Triangle Pushups x1
[/quote]

damn…do you even have time left to spar and work on fight skills? let alone you still go to school and have homework…

why not just do pushups, chin-up, pull-ups, sit-ups, natural GHR, short sprints, and skip rope three days a week?

do MMA fighters really need to do all that shit?

I dont spar, never have the time and im only an amateur…i hit the heavy bag immediatly following my push days…i do simple grappling on leg day and work some subs on pull days…this is all the cardio i need, i try to eat around 4500 calories a day to maintain or even gain some weight…

I do my homework on my third period spares too… i obvioulsy have no time for girls

You have no time to spar but time to lift weights 5 days a week?

Your priorities sound great for a body builder but absolutly shitty for a fighter. I also believe you have mentioned that fighting is more about skill then anything else… so don’t you think skill training should take priority over lifting?

dont even need to do that much man… if you’re seeing improvements tho do what ur doing

[quote]JNeves wrote:
You have no time to spar but time to lift weights 5 days a week?

Your priorities sound great for a body builder but absolutly shitty for a fighter. I also believe you have mentioned that fighting is more about skill then anything else… so don’t you think skill training should take priority over lifting?[/quote]

Again, im an amateur, im a striker in a wrestling gym in a small city… we dont have a ring to spar or head gear, we only grapple with eachother and i focus a lot on sprawls…ima naturally great striker and my weights program gives me the hip explosiveness i need to maintain my KO power… and no i cant see my 2-4 reps being good for bodybuilding so stfu

For someone who is lifting to improve in another sport you are doing too much lifting IMO. The program you have outlined is more geared towards what a bodybuilder or someone just looking for body composition changes might do, and even then there are some flaws in it.

For athletic enhancement you would be better off doing a total body routine 3-4 times per week, which then will give you plenty of time for skills work and sparring, which I reckon is more important for MMA anyway. I would also throw in a few O-lift style exercises to help with the explosiveness you mentioned you were looking for. Just doing deads won’t help with explosiveness, you have to do the exercise FAST to develop this.

Try something like this:

Day 1 (Strength Day 1):
Back Squat 6x3
Military Press 4x6
Chin Ups 4x6
Farmer’s Walks
Ab Exercise

Day 3 (Speed Day):
Overhead Squat 3x8 (Warmup for O-lifts)
Power Snatch 6x3
Squat Clean from hang 6x3
Ab Exercise

Day 1 (Strength Day 2):
Bench Press 6x3
Seated Cable Row 4x6
Good Mornings 4x6
Waiter’s Walks
Ab Exercise

Do this for 3-4 weeks, have a back off week and then change it up for the next cycle:

Day 1 (Strength Day 1):
Deadlift 6x3
Bent Row 4x6
Incline DB Press 4x6
Farmer’s Walks
Ab Exercise

Day 3 (Speed Day):
Power Clean & Push Jerk 6x3
Squat Snatch from hang 6x3
Ab Exercise

Day 1 (Strength Day 2):
Front Squat 6x3
Dips 4x6
Pull Ups 4x6
Sandbag carries
Ab Exercise

Hope this helps

Ben

[quote]Babalu wrote:

Routine

Sunday ? Legs

Squats x6
Front Squats x5
Hack Squats x2
Overhead Squats x2
Hindu Squats (Optional)

Monday ? Pull #1

Chinups x4
Pullups x2
Alt Grip Pullups x2
Bent Rows x4

Wednesday ? Push #1

Wide Grip Bench x3
Decline Bench x2
Front Dips x4
Military Press x3
French Press x3
Flies (Optional) x3

Thursday ? Pull #2

Deadlifts x3
Sumo Deadlifts x2
Rack Pulls x3
Chinups x4
DB Rows x4
Farmers Walk x3

Saturday ? Push #2

Bench Press x2
Decline Bench x3
Dips x3
Front Dips x2
Pushups x3
Triangle Pushups x1
[/quote]

[quote]bg100 wrote:
For someone who is lifting to improve in another sport you are doing too much lifting IMO. The program you have outlined is more geared towards what a bodybuilder or someone just looking for body composition changes might do, and even then there are some flaws in it.

For athletic enhancement you would be better off doing a total body routine 3-4 times per week, which then will give you plenty of time for skills work and sparring, which I reckon is more important for MMA anyway. I would also throw in a few O-lift style exercises to help with the explosiveness you mentioned you were looking for. Just doing deads won’t help with explosiveness, you have to do the exercise FAST to develop this.

Try something like this:

Day 1 (Strength Day 1):
Back Squat 6x3
Military Press 4x6
Chin Ups 4x6
Farmer’s Walks
Ab Exercise

Day 3 (Speed Day):
Power Snatch 6x3
Squat Clean from hang 6x3
Ab Exercise

Day 1 (Strength Day 2):
Bench Press 6x3
Seated Cable Row 4x6
Good Mornings 4x6
Waiter’s Walks
Ab Exercise

Do this for 3-4 weeks, have a back off week and then change it up for the next cycle:

Day 1 (Strength Day 1):
Deadlift 6x3
Bent Row 4x6
Incline DB Press 4x6
Farmer’s Walks
Ab Exercise

Day 3 (Speed Day):
Power Clean & Push Jerk 6x3
Squat Snatch from hang 6x3
Ab Exercise

Day 1 (Strength Day 2):
Front Squat 6x3
Dips 4x6
Pull Ups 4x6
Sandbag carries
Ab Exercise

Hope this helps

Ben

Babalu wrote:

Routine

Sunday ? Legs

Squats x6
Front Squats x5
Hack Squats x2
Overhead Squats x2
Hindu Squats (Optional)

Monday ? Pull #1

Chinups x4
Pullups x2
Alt Grip Pullups x2
Bent Rows x4

Wednesday ? Push #1

Wide Grip Bench x3
Decline Bench x2
Front Dips x4
Military Press x3
French Press x3
Flies (Optional) x3

Thursday ? Pull #2

Deadlifts x3
Sumo Deadlifts x2
Rack Pulls x3
Chinups x4
DB Rows x4
Farmers Walk x3

Saturday ? Push #2

Bench Press x2
Decline Bench x3
Dips x3
Front Dips x2
Pushups x3
Triangle Pushups x1

[/quote]

I will try that routine for awhile as long as i can maintain my hip explosiveness which is the most important thing for my style of MMA and street fighting…

Ditto that. Personally, I pull about 50-60 more off the floor than I do from just below knee. Your mileage may vary. Rack pulls rock, especially for PLers that pull conventional. If you are not doing it for PLing, I would recommend setting the pins at just below knees and taking triples up to a heavy triple- probably no need to max. Don’t try to lower the bar slowly- this should mostly be a concentric lift(depending on your gym’s etiquette, you may not want to outright drop it though.) Pause and reset and after each rep. Rack pulls will give you much of what DLs do but without the taxing your nervous system so much.

you’ll be able to pull differing amounts form differing heights that you set the rack pull from…

believe it or not, some people actually pull less from some rack heights than they can pull from the ground…it all depends on where your sticking points are…

the amount you should be pulling is highly variable between individuals…you won’t have an accurate answer until you pull the weight for yourself…[/quote]

[quote]Babalu wrote:

I will try that routine for awhile as long as i can maintain my hip explosiveness which is the most important thing for my style of MMA and street fighting…
[/quote]

Cool, let me know how you go. As long as you keep doing the O-lifts regularly you should have no problem maintain explosiveness. Doing sprints would also be a good idea for this.

In regards to the conditioning exercises such as farmer’s walks I was just throwing a few ideas in there as I was in a rush when writing the post. This is the area where you can be really flexible and mix things up. Other exercises can include sled-dragging, medicine ball work etc, more of the GPP style things. If you feel you are getting enough conditioning through doing MMA you could (or should!) throw in some prehab exercises such as rotator cuff and lower back work instead of the GPP stuff. It’s really up to you.

Cheers,

Ben