T Nation

Rack Pulls are Awesome!

For the past month or so I’ve been doing heavy rack pulls with about 365-375 once per week, then one day with high rep deadlifts with relatively light weight(3x15). Last night I went back to regular deadlifts(heavy weight) and I couldn’t believe how much lighter it felt. I ripped out 5x315 no problem. Wasn’t even struggling on the last rep. Back in Jan, I was struggling to get 2 reps with that weight.

I guess I could have just had a good night in the weight room, but the weight felt sooo light compare to last month.

Just felt like I had to share that with someone, lol.

Cool. Glad to see that rack pulls are working for you. Keep up the good work.

i love them too…gottem up to 515x5 on my way to 6 plates

Interesting. On the V-Diet we were doing DL’s then Rackpulls right afterwards. I can do about 5reps of 365.

But on the diet it was a 10x3 and I was lifting 315lbs, however, on the rackpulls that followed after I could only do 275x8reps …

In a couple of weeks after this transition diet I’ll be going back on my bulk…I’ll be interested to see if I can 375+ on rackpulls. I mean…I should be able to basing my judgments off of your experience.

are rack pulls good for people who have trouble off the floor? im having issues with that as well as grip, and my 1rm is only about 330

[quote]schultzie wrote:
are rack pulls good for people who have trouble off the floor? im having issues with that as well as grip, and my 1rm is only about 330[/quote]

I’d like to know this, too. I’m having trouble w/ my grip and getting it up. I feel that I can work my back more, but my hands give out and then if I rest/pause, I can’t get the weight back up.

[quote]Trenchant wrote:
schultzie wrote:
are rack pulls good for people who have trouble off the floor? im having issues with that as well as grip, and my 1rm is only about 330

I’d like to know this, too. I’m having trouble w/ my grip and getting it up. I feel that I can work my back more, but my hands give out and then if I rest/pause, I can’t get the weight back up.[/quote]

I’m sorry youre ‘having trouble getting it up’. Heh. Sorry I had to. It’s the 10 year old in me.

I don’t remember where I had trouble before, I feel like I had trouble through the pull, didn’t really have one sticking point.

I think it just helped overall because I was working with about 50 more pounds. Even though it was a full range deadlift, it still made me stronger overall.

SLDL+Rack DL= better floor DL

If you’re having trouble off the floor, try

  1. Speed work with 50-60% 1RM
  2. Pulling from a deficit (I just use 35lb plates).

[quote]Trenchant wrote:
schultzie wrote:
are rack pulls good for people who have trouble off the floor? im having issues with that as well as grip, and my 1rm is only about 330

I’d like to know this, too. I’m having trouble w/ my grip and getting it up. I feel that I can work my back more, but my hands give out and then if I rest/pause, I can’t get the weight back up.[/quote]

Don’t you guys use straps? It’s great to have grip strength, and I go as heavy as I can w/o straps, but when my grip fails I throw on the straps. I just don’t think that not being able to grip the bar should justify not putting more wight on the bar when you are capable.

I believe that rack pulls are used to help people who are having trouble with the top portion of the lift. If you are having trouble with the bottom portion of your lift, it doesn’t make sense to not work it at all does it?

Tim

If you’re not doing 400lbs+ you don’t need straps.

[quote]Sir wrote:
If you’re not doing 400lbs+ you don’t need straps.[/quote]

I think the weight that they are pulling is irrelevent. If their grip is giving out before the targeted muscle group is, then what would it hurt? If they cut their workout short because they can’t hang onto the bar, then they are short-changing themselves.

Like I said before, pull as much weight as you can until your grip gives out, then use the straps. It is a good idea to do additional grip strength exercises as well.

[quote]Sir wrote:
If you’re not doing 400lbs+ you don’t need straps.[/quote]

I disagree. I do deadlifts solely for back thickness, I don’t care at all about my grip strength so why should I allow my grip to hold me back in weight?

[quote]Trenchant wrote:
schultzie wrote:
are rack pulls good for people who have trouble off the floor? im having issues with that as well as grip, and my 1rm is only about 330

I’d like to know this, too. I’m having trouble w/ my grip and getting it up. I feel that I can work my back more, but my hands give out and then if I rest/pause, I can’t get the weight back up.[/quote]

In response to grip help and getting the bar off the floor:

1.Deadlift from a box using a hook grip (which will work your grip a lot) (reverse if you have to).

2.Buy a super gripper (made by Invanko, it is a SWEET gripper that can has up to 360lbs force and I believe only one man or so gripped the 400, I’m not exactly sure. Captains of crush are great too but more expensive since they’re not adjustable and you’d have to buy multiple. Super gripper by Invanko is like 100+ grippers in one.)

  1. Use chalk. ATP sells good chalk at a good price (they also sell the super gripper too).

  2. Assistance work. Do pull-throughs on the cable machine correctly as well as glute ham raises (if you can’t do them use a reverse hyper machine with weights).

5.Quality straps. Honestly, I didn’t like straps because I cared about my grip but after trying to increase the weight from 385lbs to over 385lbs for 5+ reps on the deadlift (((my tested 1 rep max a while ago was 425 @ 194 at my college competition with no straps and not even chalk. I did however use a belt. I usually go raw all the time until my last set now which I’ll only use straps and perhaps chalk.))) my grip suffered.

I used straps for the first time yesterday and deadlifted 405 for 4 fairly easy although my back was a bit rounded because I was not use to using straps. So straps may or may not be your answer if you want a strong grip.

  1. Do farmers walks with 2 heavy dumbbells. If you’re about 150lbs then grab a pair of 60s and walk as far as a quarter mile. Take as many stops as you have to. 180+ use something like 80lb dumbbells. Progress to 2 laps if you must. Builds up nice clauses for a nice grip.

  2. Don’t completely cut off your clauses with a knife or shaving stick, instead try using a pumice stone. I cut them off and my palms didn’t have as much grip and the new clauses weren’t as tough as the old ones.

  3. Wrap the bar with a thin towel on each hand to form a thicker-like bar. This will help greatly with grip and when you go back to the normal bar you’ll be beating it up like nothing.

  4. Don’t use gloves

  5. Read the many articles made by Eric Cressey. I think he made 3 or so articles just about the DEADLIFT.

Good luck!

[quote]ZYL281 wrote:
Sir wrote:
If you’re not doing 400lbs+ you don’t need straps.

I disagree. I do deadlifts solely for back thickness, I don’t care at all about my grip strength so why should I allow my grip to hold me back in weight?[/quote]

I’ll agree with you if you don’t care for grip strength but shaking someone’s hand with power is a great feeling when they try to OVERPOWER you first. ::crackle crackle:: Also it’s nice to lug around some 100+lb dumbbells in each hand without anyone’s help :].

[quote]schultzie wrote:
are rack pulls good for people who have trouble off the floor? im having issues with that as well as grip, and my 1rm is only about 330[/quote]

If getting off the floor is a problem, it’s usually because of a weak lower back. Rack Pulls are great for developing the Lower Back since they take a lot of the hips and hamstrings out of the movement. If there’s not much of a difference between your Rack Pull and your Deadlift, then your lower back is probably your weak link.

If getting off the floor is a hip/leg strength issue, then you’ll be better off focusing your energy doing…

Low Box Squats
Olympic Squats
Front Squats
Hack Squats
Deficit Deadlifts.

If you have trouble getting off the floor because you’re just not strong enough, then Rack Pulls are awesome.

Rack Pulls are pretty much always awesome.

[quote]Sir wrote:
If you’re not doing 400lbs+ you don’t need straps.[/quote]

If you’re not pulling more than 1,000 you don’t NEED straps.
The alternating grip is pretty effective.

But doing Deadlifts double-overhand is a safer position for the shoulders.

[quote]schultzie wrote:
are rack pulls good for people who have trouble off the floor? im having issues with that as well as grip, and my 1rm is only about 330[/quote]

They help with the lock out in particular. They help with everything actually, the extra weight gets your body used to it. It’s hard to explain but rack-pulling huge weight makes you more confident with your full DL.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:

If getting off the floor is a problem, it’s usually because of a weak lower back. Rack Pulls are great for developing the Lower Back since they take a lot of the hips and hamstrings out of the movement. If there’s not much of a difference between your Rack Pull and your Deadlift, then your lower back is probably your weak link.

If getting off the floor is a hip/leg strength issue, then you’ll be better off focusing your energy doing…

Low Box Squats
Olympic Squats
Front Squats
Hack Squats
Deficit Deadlifts.

If you have trouble getting off the floor because you’re just not strong enough, then Rack Pulls are awesome.

Rack Pulls are pretty much always awesome. [/quote]

Really, I thought they were better for locking out. I’m certainly no authority though. In your opinion, what is a good exercise for blasting your lock-out strength?