Rack Pull Weight Same as from the Floor?

Just getting back to the powerlifting game. Any idea why my rack pulls weight is aprox. same as what i pull from the ground…? Im thinking its because on the full pull im just trying to lift it, and on rack pull im trying to use better form… just curious…thx

what kind of poundage are you talking?

I was trying 315 on rack pull. I pulled 365 from floor 3weeks ago when i started dl again…so nothing massive by any means

FWIW, I’m the exact opposite. Just last week I pulled 605 from right at my kneecap today I worked up to 500 off the floor. So for me, I get weaker the lower the bar but I suck at the dead lift- I’m working on that tho…

The weak point for most people is the transition across the knee. Pulling from just below the knee is harder for me than from the floor where I have momentum across the knee.

I made the mistake of pulling from just above my knee on rack pulls for years. I wasn’t hitting my weak point and it didn’t do crap for my deadlift.

Im the exact opposite. Can pull significantly more from the rack than the floor. I wonder if this is a body dimensions issue. I have long legs/arms and a short torso. My squat isnt that great and a dead lift for me requires my legs to be bent almost like a squat. I can also sumo DL a good amount more than a traditional DL.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
The weak point for most people is the transition across the knee. Pulling from just below the knee is harder for me than from the floor where I have momentum across the knee.

I made the mistake of pulling from just above my knee on rack pulls for years. I wasn’t hitting my weak point and it didn’t do crap for my deadlift.[/quote]

My (modest) numbers pulling from just above mid-shin and from the floor are very close (435 vs. 445). But, the lack of leg drive when doing rack pulls makes them a very tough movement for me with more low back involvement.

If I recall correctly, the last time I pulled from just above the knee (4-5 months ago) it was 495. Hopefully, that number is higher now but I agree that they don’t really carryover to much of anything.

I never had this issue with rack pulls personally. All though i do notice that when pulling from bellow the knees or mid shin they are significantly harder, when compared to knee level. From the floor i have pulled 606 (belt only) and from the rack at knee level i have done 800 (belt/straps). Below the knee 635x8 (belt straps). I think it is important to do all heights, but i did read once that andy bolton does block pulls alot with the plates only elevated about 2-3 inches off the floor. Atleast, thats what i read.