Rack Pull to Deadlift Ratio

Just looking to get some idea on what other poeple are pulling in a rack pull from around 18-19" (to top of bar) in relation to their deads.

Last time I tested them there was only a 20-30 lb difference.

Depends, everyone has different leg lengths. 19" could be above or below the knee, which will make a huge difference. Its also going to depend on the weakest part of your pull.

If it’s above your knee, then there’s gonna be a huge gap.

If it’s just below the knee, I’m tempted to say that your off the floor deadlift will be around 80 to 90% of your Rack Deadlift depending on what your weak points are.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
If it’s above your knee, then there’s gonna be a huge gap.

If it’s just below the knee, I’m tempted to say that your off the floor deadlift will be around 80 to 90% of your Rack Deadlift depending on what your weak points are. [/quote]

That sounds about right. It also just depends on your individual leverages. I pull about 100 pounds and change more from above the knee than from the floor. I actually pull more off the floor than I pull from mid shin, as that’s my sticking point.

Well for me it’s right around the bottom of the kneecap, I gave that height because that’s what most strongman stuff is, which I do a bit of.

I pull more from the floor compared to mid shin as well. But I can lockout from above the knee, about 150 lbs more than I can pull from the ground. (Assuming using straps)

Can I ask you guys a slightly off-topic question?

I’m 6’7" and my rack pull (from about mid-shin) is way more than my standard DL. Is that because of my height? Would it be better to pull mostly from the floor using less weight? My goal is pure strength.

My legs are really long, my torso is shorter, in a sense of being slightly out of proportion. People comment that I look shorter than 6’7" when I’m sitting. (I hope that makes sense.)

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

I’m 6’7" and my rack pull (from about mid-shin) is way more than my standard DL. Is that because of my height? Would it be better to pull mostly from the floor using less weight? My goal is pure strength.

My legs are really long, my torso is shorter, in a sense of being slightly out of proportion. People comment that I look shorter than 6’7" when I’m sitting. (I hope that makes sense.)[/quote]

If your goal is pure strength then it doesn’t matter really which one is stronger. But, the reason the rack pull may stronger could be due to the axis of leverage against the bar, being smaller. When you pull off the rack it shortens the lever arm between the weight and the pivot point so you can transfer the weight to the glutes and hamstrings easier than you can if the weight is on the floor. And since you have long legs that means you’d have to have a much stronger low back to actually pull the weight up. It also will take longer for your glutes and hamstrings to kick in so a rack pull may be ideal for you. If you have no real reason to do a dead lift from the floor then i’d stick with the rack pulls or try using a trap bar for your deads because that prevents the forward shoulder movement and is much easier on your low back.

[quote]charlie_bear wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

My legs are really long, my torso is shorter, in a sense of being slightly out of proportion. People comment that I look shorter than 6’7" when I’m sitting. (I hope that makes sense.)

If your goal is pure strength then it doesn’t matter really which one is stronger. But, the reason the rack pull may stronger could be due to the axis of leverage against the bar, being smaller. When you pull off the rack it shortens the lever arm between the weight and the pivot point so you can transfer the weight to the glutes and hamstrings easier than you can if the weight is on the floor. And since you have long legs that means you’d have to have a much stronger low back to actually pull the weight up. It also will take longer for your glutes and hamstrings to kick in so a rack pull may be ideal for you. If you have no real reason to do a dead lift from the floor then i’d stick with the rack pulls or try using a trap bar for your deads because that prevents the forward shoulder movement and is much easier on your low back. [/quote]

i think it’s better to pull from the floor in terms of functionality. when i pick stuff up in the real world it is usually at zero inches, and not mid shin.

now how about people post some actual numbers, not looking for your specific numbers, but something like “i do 50 lbs more from 19” then from the floor" would be good.

620 x 2 from pins just below knee level (regular bar).

1 week later - 625lbs from floor in contest (with deadlift bar).

I have always figured what i could double from the 3rd pin (below knees) I could get in a contest with a good bar.

There was a time where my off the floor dead was higher then my rack pull, that was weird.

Well, I am by no means an expert, but I use to have pin pull problems untill I realized if I start them with my legs I could get the weight moving and then go to a lock out with the lower back.

Weights - peronal best for from the floor - 1 @ 495. Pin pull from just beneath the knee - 4 sets of 4 at 495. So weight is the same but the total work is much higher!