Rack Pull Replacement

I wanted to do rack pulls to build my back but my squat rack doesnt have pins low enough to pull from knee level. Its up at mid thigh level. I was wondering maybe i can do zercher deadlifts. Would it have the same affect on my back??

Zercher good mornings are okay…but actually I’d try stacking some 45lb plates to get the desired height.

If you want a new variation, try the Waterbury Walk…stack plates, set rack, whatever about knee height (give or take an inch or two) and deadlift it…take two strong steps back, lower under control, deadlift off ground, two steps forward, and lower onto rack. That’s one rep. You will like it if you like farmer’s walks and rack pulls.

Try rigging up something to sit under the plates, like boxes and rubber mats. Pulling from boxes is better anyways because the bar bends like it does it from the floor and you don’t make a clattering cluster fuck of noise if you are in a commercial gym.

This is a weird variation, but you could also use an ultra wide snatch grip on the inadjustable rack.

Pull from mats.

Stand on an aerobic step(s)

I would find something to stand on. that would be easier than building something up to the desired height

Unless I’m missing something, he’s trying to do reduced ROM deadlifts, not extended ROM deadlifts. Standing on something increases the ROM. Although they will build the upper back at least as well as short-ROM deads.

[quote]conwict wrote:
Unless I’m missing something, he’s trying to do reduced ROM deadlifts, not extended ROM deadlifts. Standing on something increases the ROM. Although they will build the upper back at least as well as short-ROM deads.[/quote]

The pins in the rack are too high which doesnt allow him to do rack pulls out of it since the pins are at mid thigh level. They are telling him to stand on things so that he can pull from the knee.

Standing on 45s is a Good Idea.
You could also pull from blocks to raise the bar to just below the knees.

Just set the bar on a few 45’s on each side, use the number of 45’s to adjust the height as desired. Rubber matts work better if those are available, but put them under the weight, not you.

Why are you retards telling him to stand on something? He wants to do rack pulls not defecits!

Somebody draw this guy a picture…

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
Why are you retards telling him to stand on something? He wants to do rack pulls not defecits![/quote]

It’s a bit like a word problem on the math SAT.

His rack is too high, putting the bar mid-thigh level. If he increases his height, he decreases the relative height of the bar and could then do rack pulls from the desired height…

Frankly though, I wouldn’t trust the stability of standing on some 45 lb plates or some random block of wood sitting around the gym.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
Why are you retards telling him to stand on something? He wants to do rack pulls not defecits![/quote]

They are suggesting he stand on something AFTER setting the pins at mid-thigh level. Making the bar 2 steps higher - making yourself 1 step higher = Making the bar 1 step higher.

thats nuts dude. i was going through the same dilemma on monday as that guy and opted for zercher deadlifts, which i think are going to work well for me. spooky. You’re not my evil twin are you? Maybe I’m your evil twin.
louie simmons article on westside-barbell.com
from may 2001 he says that he could zercher deadlift 320 and pulled 670 at 181. my best gym pull is 570 and i did a set of five with 185 in zercher deadlifts. so maybe that is something i need to build to increase my DL. It kicked the shit out of my back and hamstrings. the hammys felt alot like after a set of 50 Db swings to shoulder height with 70 lbs. I say it is worth giving a try if you can bend down to reach it and assess wether it will help you or not.

[quote]lavi wrote:
beebuddy wrote:
Why are you retards telling him to stand on something? He wants to do rack pulls not defecits!

They are suggesting he stand on something AFTER setting the pins at mid-thigh level. Making the bar 2 steps higher - making yourself 1 step higher = Making the bar 1 step higher.

[/quote]

That’s actually pretty un-retarded. :slight_smile:

If you guys are talking about doing a deadlift off the ground Zercher style, that’s just insane. I’ve done it a couple times, it just doesn’t feel sound physiologically to me. You have to get so ridiculously low…seems like it’d be safer to just do deads from a huge deficit.

Zercher good mornings (as most people call them), done with a partial ROM in a rack, are a good exercise though - I think.

maybe you just have poor hip mobility or something. At 5’10" and over 240 i have no problem bending down to do a zercher DL. I might be built better to do that with a short torso and long arms and legs.

I think I have pretty good hip (and ankle) mobility, at least as far as most things go. If we’re talking about the same exercise, your shoulders (well, my shoulders) basically almost go below your (my) knees. I can get in the position without arching my back or lifting my heels, it just doesn’t feel like I ought to be bearing much of a load whilst doing so. I also have a fairly good deadlifting build, like you rander.

I’d liken it to doing a heavy “sissy” squat…yeah, I can do it, but it just doesn’t feel like something I OUGHT to be doing.