Rack Pull Harder than Full Deadlift?

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Even if the middle of the knee is used, that’s still a good 6" difference than mid shin. The ROM of rack pulls from knee level is extremely short. They serve a purpose, but a very limited one that really only applies to powerlifters.

[/quote]

What about ultra-wide snatch grip or even a reeve’s DL grip? I would think that could very heavily stimulate the back from knee height even. At that grip width anything lower would probably be mostly legs to start the pull. What do you think? [/quote]

Sure, Ive never done either of those but if they work, great.

@Lift - Yeah, that’s basically it. lol

Keep in mind that I don’t push for new PR’s unless I feel good that day. On most days I just work up to a comfortable max for whatever rep range I feel like. I usually make it into the 85-90% range for my top set. It doesn’t have to be a record, it’s just about getting the work in. I make sure to change exercises every workout because it works for me. In my earlier days I could probably keep the same lifts for a few weeks before switching.

On a really good day I’ll go balls out and push for a record, but this happens maybe once every two months. Usually after a really heavy week I’ll do a variation that I know won’t be as heavy (like a pull off a block for a comfortable triple instead of a pull from the floor for a balls out single…)

I was told something a long time ago by John Kuc (look him up) that really made sense to me. He basically told me that Powerlifting style “cycling” only works when you can increase your dose of steroids to force strength gains. Drug free guys can’t start light and end heavy, they have to train as heavy as possible all the time or they never go anywhere. You do your best not to burn out by paying attention to your body and not pushing yourself all out unless you know you’re having a good day.

There was a really good article here a while back about Deadlifting for Strongman, one of he guys (Dan) does something very similar to what I do and he pulls over 900, so there ya go.

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/deadlifting_for_strongman

I know this thread is a little old, but I figure it’s a good place to post without starting my own thread. I was in the gym, decided to hit rack pulls for the first time. I had the misconception that it would be many pounds higher than my pull from the floor, but after reading this thread and others, it seems pretty common to be weaker just below the knee (as in my case).

My question is, should I stick with these rack pulls from below the knee for a while? The theory being if I can increase weight at this “dead spot”, my pull from the floor should increase. Maybe do what others have said, Hit the pulls from this disadvantageous(is this a word? lol) position and then some lighter pulls from the floor focusing on speed? Any opinions would be great.

[quote]bwilliamsr89 wrote:
I know this thread is a little old, but I figure it’s a good place to post without starting my own thread. I was in the gym, decided to hit rack pulls for the first time. I had the misconception that it would be many pounds higher than my pull from the floor, but after reading this thread and others, it seems pretty common to be weaker just below the knee (as in my case).

My question is, should I stick with these rack pulls from below the knee for a while? The theory being if I can increase weight at this “dead spot”, my pull from the floor should increase. Maybe do what others have said, Hit the pulls from this disadvantageous(is this a word? lol) position and then some lighter pulls from the floor focusing on speed? Any opinions would be great.[/quote]

Strengthening weak points is generally a good idea.