T Nation

Rack Deadlifts Seperate Days Than Deadlifts

Just wondering if performing deadlifts max effort day, then on dynamic effort day after speed deads from the floor would it be beneficial or would it take away from progress if I performed rack deadlifts after?

why and how often are you performing ME deads?

I would say if you can recover from it, your deadlift would benefit. You could always give it a go for a week or two and see how you feel. I could see that much deadlifting screwing your squat, just my opinion.

I'm a little confused as to what you mean. You want to do heavy deads on max effort day and heavy rack pulls on speed day? Why?

From what I understand of Westside, keep all your heavy lifting on one day. I think it kind of defeats the purpose to go heavy twice in the same week on a similar exercise. I personally do rack pulls as a seconday exercise on max effort day after deadlifts.

I think it would be good if you can recover from lifting heavy ass weights twice in a week. If you can recover though you are probably not lifting enough weight yet to really benefit much from lifting westside style and doing speed work. I like speed day with bands but after carring 80 pound plus dumbbells over to the platform and doing speed deadlifts there is no way that i would want to do heavy rack pulls.