Rack Chins!

[quote]its_just_me wrote:

[quote]flat6nut wrote:

^^^
flat6nut - For your information, wide grip (much wider than shoulder width) pull-ups is based on an old-school concept that a wider grip gives you wider lats…whereas in reality it’s more likely to just grind/damage the shoulders on many people.

Medium grip’s perfectly fine and more natural…[/quote]

…and as I stated…everyone is dif. But for most, wider than shoulder will work the width of the lats…and the neutral grip will work the thickness. Perhaps it is dif for you and skully.

I would agree with the slack at the bottom. When I said dead hang I should have stated complete stop not relaxed. Everyone knows that constant tention does work best. [/quote]

Some people have more robust joints than others, but still, it’s not something I’d want to toy with (not when shoulder width grip does it the same).

I’d say that it’s more the hands pronated or semi-supinated (and the stretch at the bottom) which hits back “width” more than just the distance of hand placement.[/quote]

You mean elbow and thus upper arm position. The lats don’t act on the forearms after all.
Supinated wrists will obviously force you to tuck your elbows. Pronated will cause them to naturally flare more, though you can still tuck if you want to…

[quote]worzel wrote:
^Use to happen to me until I figured I should keep the bottom position tight and voila no more discomfort.

You would never go slack in the bottom portion of a squat, or in the upright position in the deadlift! You would always keep it tight and under your control. This same principal applies for chins/pullups/rack chins ect.[/quote]

Well put.

I really need to focus on the movement of my shoulder blades. It seems to be a little different than when doing regular chin ups or pulldowns, at least for me anyways.

Like I mentioned, I read somewhere (Poliquin said it I think??<–don’t quote me) that the rack chin is a chin, followed by a pullover, finished off with a row.

But great movement and good to get some answers.

[quote]howie424 wrote:

[quote]worzel wrote:
^Use to happen to me until I figured I should keep the bottom position tight and voila no more discomfort.

You would never go slack in the bottom portion of a squat, or in the upright position in the deadlift! You would always keep it tight and under your control. This same principal applies for chins/pullups/rack chins ect.[/quote]

Well put.

I really need to focus on the movement of my shoulder blades. It seems to be a little different than when doing regular chin ups or pulldowns, at least for me anyways.

Like I mentioned, I read somewhere (Poliquin said it I think??<–don’t quote me) that the rack chin is a chin, followed by a pullover, finished off with a row.

[/quote]

Sure he wasn’t talking about sternum chinups?

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

[quote]flat6nut wrote:

^^^
flat6nut - For your information, wide grip (much wider than shoulder width) pull-ups is based on an old-school concept that a wider grip gives you wider lats…whereas in reality it’s more likely to just grind/damage the shoulders on many people.

…and as I stated…everyone is dif. But for most, wider than shoulder will work the width of the lats…and the neutral grip will work the thickness. Perhaps it is dif for you and skully.

I would agree with the slack at the bottom. When I said dead hang I should have stated complete stop not relaxed. Everyone knows that constant tention does work best. [/quote]

Some people have more robust joints than others, but still, it’s not something I’d want to toy with (not when shoulder width grip does it the same).

I’d say that it’s more the hands pronated or semi-supinated (and the stretch at the bottom) which hits back “width” more than just the distance of hand placement.[/quote]

You mean elbow and thus upper arm position. The lats don’t act on the forearms after all.
Supinated wrists will obviously force you to tuck your elbows. Pronated will cause them to naturally flare more, though you can still tuck if you want to…

[/quote]

Yeah that ^

I forgot there was a walking exercise anatomy book in this thread :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

What a clown. [/quote]

The guy in the mask is calling who a clown? lmao! your funny sport.

[quote]howie424 wrote:

[quote]worzel wrote:

Well put.

[/quote]

[/quote]

He may have been, but don’t you bring your sternum to the bar in a rack chin?

[quote]flat6nut wrote:

^^^

[/quote]

Yeah that ^

I forgot there was a walking exercise anatomy book in this thread :P[/quote]

grumblegrumbleamericaneducationalsystemgrumblegrumble

Edit:

Shit, scratch that.

grumblegrumblescottisheducationalsystemgrumblegrumble

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

Youre posting in this thread and didnt even know what the movement in question was about before you saw the video posted?

[/quote]

By the way mr observant. I am sure that the Op was meaning the way I took it when he said “angles” meaning the multiple grips on the racks themselves. Pretty sure he did not mean a “rack pull” as shown in the video.

Sorry to have upset you sweetheart.

[quote]flat6nut wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

Youre posting in this thread and didnt even know what the movement in question was about before you saw the video posted?

[/quote]

By the way mr observant. I am sure that the Op was meaning the way I took it when he said “angles” meaning the multiple grips on the racks themselves. Pretty sure he did not mean a “rack pull” as shown in the video.

Sorry to have upset you sweetheart.[/quote]

Rack pull, huh…

[quote]howie424 wrote:

[quote]howie424 wrote:

[quote]worzel wrote:

Well put.

[/quote]

[/quote]

He may have been, but don’t you bring your sternum to the bar in a rack chin? [/quote]

You mentioned a pullover as part of the exercise, done after the “chin” part… And then a row. That’s what made me think that he meant sternum chinups (I read that article ages ago. Don’t know if poliquin even knows what a rack chin is, it’s not really a widely known exercise… Most people confuse it with inverted rows. I don’t keep up with Poliquin anymore, though).

Not sure what flat6nut is talking about anymore tbh. I think he may be confused with what exercise I have been referring to.

CC, is there any specific cues that you like to use with this exercise? What do you aim to touch the bar with, nose, chest, whatever?

[quote]howie424 wrote:
Not sure what flat6nut is talking about anymore tbh. I think he may be confused with what exercise I have been referring to.

CC, is there any specific cues that you like to use with this exercise? What do you aim to touch the bar with, nose, chest, whatever? [/quote]

Whatever is comfortable. I do it for the lats, so I don’t really flare to the max or use a super-wide grip (that fucks up my wrists anyway), that just hits my teres etc… I’m already wide below the shoulders, it’s the actual lats that are the problem for me… So it’s a medium-ish grip and I tuck my elbows in some (not all the way) on the way up… So that does make for a slight pullover motion, but I don’t bring the bar down to my sternum personally.

I’d just try different ways and see which one you actually feel in the target area… Rack Chins aren’t exactly a power move…

As far as body angle… I stay fairly upright and arch my back (upper back too) to the best of my ability).

Jason does it quite differently.

Probably a newb question. But i have never see rack chins before. I have heard of them. Why do these instead of normal pull ups? Does it isolate the lats better? Personnel preference for feeling the lats work? Thank you ahead of time for the clarification.

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
Probably a newb question. But i have never see rack chins before. I have heard of them. Why do these instead of normal pull ups? Does it isolate the lats better? Personnel preference for feeling the lats work? Thank you ahead of time for the clarification.[/quote]

It allows one to isolate the lats better than pullups because of torso angle (look closely at the video and compare it a video of a pullup). It allows for less ‘cheating’ than a lat pulldown which makes it easier to keep the load on the lats instead of shifting to the teres, biceps, foreamrms, rhomboids, traps by leaning backwards during the pulldown.

Thats my take on it.

[quote]flat6nut wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[/quote]

Welcome to the internet. Youre horrible at it.

how much do you guys ‘cheat’ on a lat pulldown? How much do you guys tend to lean back?

how strict is your form basically?

i have a belly button.

[quote]flat6nut wrote:

^^^

[/quote]

Yeah that ^

I forgot there was a walking exercise anatomy book in this thread :P[/quote]

grumblegrumbleamericaneducationalsystemgrumblegrumble

Edit:

Shit, scratch that.

grumblegrumblescottisheducationalsystemgrumblegrumble
[/quote]

lol, how dare you insult me like that…

Call me stupid, but don’t call me American!

[quote]howie424 wrote:

CC, is there any specific cues that you like to use with this exercise? What do you aim to touch the bar with, nose, chest, whatever? [/quote]

Yeah, sorry about that. Guess I was thrown off when you said angles. Which made me think about the multiple angles on some racks used for pullups/chins. So sorry for my confusion followed by my ass.

Bonez…sorry as well brother, you were partially correct.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]flat6nut wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[/quote]

Welcome to the internet. Youre horrible at it. [/quote]

That clip is legendary!

I cracked a rib laughing when you pulled that one on x

I now have it stored for just such occasions, which of course will inevitably happen over n over again lol