Rack Chin Variation for Back Width

I know there are a bunch of people here that do rack chins, whether it be for DC Training or otherwise, so I thought I would post this variation that I tried today using blast straps.

Using the straps as opposed to the fixed neutral handles or the standard bar allows you to rotate your hands throughout the course of the movement, so you can get a much sharper contraction in your back at the top, and also adjust according to what is most comfortable for your shoulders. Being able to twist like that made for a crazy squeeze at the top.

I feel the best squeeze with a pronated or neutral grip, so I found the sweet spot to be somewhere between there, but you can also go all that way to full supination if you want (I do this with regular pullups, but it felt weird on the rack chins). I also focused on pulling in to my body a little bit, which seemed to also hit the lower lats, which I really never feel working that much on width movements.

Another advantage of the straps is that you can lean back slightly on the negatives, as Dante advises doing on the assisted pullup machine. You can’t really do this as well when you use the bar. since it is fixed, but the straps can move with your body. When I say “lean back” I do not mean to turn the movement into an inverted row.

I still put the bench very close and elevated my feet quite high, so I was completely vertical, but on the eccentric, you can lean back ever so slightly to really hit the lats in a way you otherwise can’t.

If you don’t have blast straps, you could easily make something equivalent with handles that you use on a cable system and some rope or chains. It doesn’t need to be very long, just long enough to allow the handles to rotate and be able to move back and forth so you can lean back on the negatives.

Here is what it looks like. I am serious when I say I have never felt such a sharp pump in my lats, all the way from my armpits to my lower lats. For anyone looking for a change, you might want to try these. The key is to take advantage of the motion in the straps to really exaggerate the squeeze. Hope this helps some guys looking for new back exercises.

How come you didn’t go for 60 reps?? lol

Looks pretty good

Slightly off topic, but have you used TRX straps before? If so, how do they compare to the blast straps?

I’m strongly considering getting one or the other to supplement my workouts and/or to do a quick BW workout if I’m absolutely pressed for time or traveling.

[quote]jo3 wrote:
Slightly off topic, but have you used TRX straps before? If so, how do they compare to the blast straps?

I’m strongly considering getting one or the other to supplement my workouts and/or to do a quick BW workout if I’m absolutely pressed for time or traveling.[/quote]

The blast straps are definitely more heavy duty than the TRX straps and will be able to hold more weight, but they also are not as easy to travel with because they are heavier. If you want something to bring with you on the road, I would get the TRX because they are really light and fold up easily. You won’t be able to do heavy dips with them or anything like that, but you could get a good workout nonetheless. If you are looking to buy something to use in the gym and you don’t have to carry them around, I’d get the blast straps.

very nice

Would’ve been nice if the guy took the DB off your lap at the end, but this is a nice idea man. I’ll definitely try them out, I love rack chins.

dang, i was just about to ask how the hell you got rid of the rest of the strap and just utilized that little bit of it with the handles…man, ive owned these for almost a year and this setup never occurred to me.

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
dang, i was just about to ask how the hell you got rid of the rest of the strap and just utilized that little bit of it with the handles…man, ive owned these for almost a year and this setup never occurred to me. [/quote]

Ya they are really versatile and easily adjustable.

Two days later I still have sharp soreness in my upper back and lats, right under the armpits, as well as the lower lats. Part of it is likely that I have done basically only chinups for a long time, but I do think this exercise will be a keeper. Here is a recent picture I took of my back. I was told the thickness has improved but I need to work on width more (I don’t know how to pose so that likely has an effect).

Looks great, I’ll have to try these!

[quote]bruno082985 wrote:
Two days later I still have sharp soreness in my upper back and lats, right under the armpits, as well as the lower lats. Part of it is likely that I have done basically only chinups for a long time, but I do think this exercise will be a keeper. Here is a recent picture I took of my back. I was told the thickness has improved but I need to work on width more (I don’t know how to pose so that likely has an effect). [/quote]

Something doesn’t look right.

Oh wait, that’s just the BoSox banner.

[quote]jo3 wrote:

Oh wait, that’s just the BoSox banner.[/quote]

Not a Sox fan? That’s too bad. I hope you aren’t a Yankees fan… I hear that’s catabolic.

Two days later I still have sharp soreness in my upper back and lats, right under the armpits, as well as the lower lats. Part of it is likely that I have done basically only chinups for a long time, but I do think this exercise will be a keeper. Here is a recent picture I took of my back. I was told the thickness has improved but I need to work on width more (I don’t know how to pose so that likely has an effect). [/quote]
Back looks thick

[quote]GodOfSteele wrote:

Back looks thick[/quote]

Thanks man I appreciate that. I was told I need to work on the width so I will focus on that a little bit as well.

[quote]jo3 wrote:

Oh wait, that’s just the BoSox banner.[/quote]

Not a Sox fan? That’s too bad. I hope you aren’t a Yankees fan… I hear that’s catabolic. [/quote]

Haha I’m messing around. Coming from Dallas (Texas Rangers), baseball has never been a big sport for me. I just figured that BoSox fans take the sport very seriously.

But so I’m not completely off topic, great idea on the rack chins. I think you sold me on the blast straps too, so feel free to call EFS to ask for commission.

those do look really good. you’ve inspired me to put rack chins back in my workout and i will have to give this variation a try.

[quote]jo3 wrote:
Haha I’m messing around. Coming from Dallas (Texas Rangers), baseball has never been a big sport for me. I just figured that BoSox fans take the sport very seriously.

But so I’m not completely off topic, great idea on the rack chins. I think you sold me on the blast straps too, so feel free to call EFS to ask for commission.[/quote]

Cool man, I think you will like them. There is a whole bunch of stuff you can do with them besides just the rack chins.

When I saw your comment about the Red Sox, I just figured you were a Yankees fan. I’m living in New York right now so I like some good-natured banter.

[quote]Fandango wrote:
those do look really good. you’ve inspired me to put rack chins back in my workout and i will have to give this variation a try.[/quote]

Cool man I hope you like them. They are good because you can bring them into any gym so it’s a good way to work around not having the best equipment.