T Nation

Racist White Lady Orders Black Student to Leave


#1

apparently this guy was accused of harrassment just for waiting to meet with an advisor

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ga-college-adviser-accuses-waiting-student-harassment-article-1.2223275


#2

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.


#3

I’m calling “bullshit” on the whole incident…both on it being a big deal, and on the “outrage” on Social Media.

Sometimes people need to learn to select their battles; get a Life; get a grip; and make an appointment the next time like the rules say.

Another thing; I think social media has a lot of “Counter Espionage” going on; with those calling “race” and other things actually being those who believe the complete opposite. So don’t make this a “left”/“right” thing.

It’s all bullshit.

Mufasa


#4

I agree with Chushin, other than the fact that the student is black, how is this racist? Did you even watch the video? The advisers asked him to fill out a form which he said he didn’t do, probably was told to come back later, though we don’t see that part on the video.

Maybe she thought she was being harassed because he was taping her on his cell phone.

So this adviser will probably lose her job because this idiot didn’t want to obey the rules.

Another reason why every idiot and their brother should not have access to a camera.

usmccds423 and Angry Chicken…this demonstrates how we’ve turned into a Big Brother society like I was talking about in another thread.


#5

Ok, question…could the advisers make a retaliatory claim, saying the student was video taping the adviser on private property and without the permission of the adviser, her office and the campus?


#6

I’m an academic advisor at a Big Ten university, and stuff like this should never happen.

It looks like everyone is in the wrong here. If you have a ridiculous policy like no walk-in meetings, that needs to be clearly stated everywhere. Otherwise waiting in the waiting room is not harassment.

Schedule your stuff ahead of time, and if you can’t, wait politely. Or send an email if you have just a few quick questions like you say.

And I do tell all my students, you’re failure to prepare is not my emergency.


#7

[quote]booksbikesbeer wrote:
I’m an academic advisor at a Big Ten university, and stuff like this should never happen.

It looks like everyone is in the wrong here. If you have a ridiculous policy like no walk-in meetings, that needs to be clearly stated everywhere. Otherwise waiting in the waiting room is not harassment.

Schedule your stuff ahead of time, and if you can’t, wait politely. Or send an email if you have just a few quick questions like you say.

And I do tell all my students, you’re failure to prepare is not my emergency.[/quote]

Most students don’t see it that way. As I’m sure you already know, many students who are failing or struggling will come to you last minute asking what their options are. They are forgetful that they fucked up the entire semester only to hope for salvation a week before finals.

But I agree with you.


#8

[quote]Gkhan wrote:
So this adviser will probably lose her job because this idiot didn’t want to obey the rules.

[/quote]

for liberal social justice warriors, that is the goal.


#9

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]booksbikesbeer wrote:
I’m an academic advisor at a Big Ten university, and stuff like this should never happen.

It looks like everyone is in the wrong here. If you have a ridiculous policy like no walk-in meetings, that needs to be clearly stated everywhere. Otherwise waiting in the waiting room is not harassment.

Schedule your stuff ahead of time, and if you can’t, wait politely. Or send an email if you have just a few quick questions like you say.

And I do tell all my students, you’re failure to prepare is not my emergency.[/quote]

Most students don’t see it that way. As I’m sure you already know, many students who are failing or struggling will come to you last minute asking what their options are. They are forgetful that they fucked up the entire semester only to hope for salvation a week before finals.

But I agree with you. [/quote]

So true, Maximus. And I do repeat myself quite often with the students. I suppose that is true of a lot of jobs, though. Hell, we often just repeat ourselves over and over on this forum.

I also dislike the student’s argument that he’s paying good money for his education and should get service. I lament the slide of education into a service based industry. They forget the service we provide is education, critical thinking, and really, growing up into an adult. That’s what they are paying for. And it is certainly not the only way to get those things, so if they don’t like it, they should do something else. And I tell a lot of them that, too.


#10

[quote]booksbikesbeer wrote:

And I do tell all my students, you’re failure to prepare is not my emergency.[/quote]

Do you also advise them on the usage of apostrophes?

:wink:


#11

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]booksbikesbeer wrote:

And I do tell all my students, you’re failure to prepare is not my emergency.[/quote]

Do you also advise them on the usage of apostrophes?

;)[/quote]

Ha. Generally no. Though perhaps their grammar usage is rubbing off on me.


#12

“I feel like they could have took two minutes out of their time to speak to me, he told the TV station”

His poor use of grammar, especially as college junior, may not actually reflect low intelligence, but just sounds horrible. I tend to give less credence to statements made with grammar such as that.


#13

He should of made an appointment, she was being a bitch, move on. This isn’t news.


#14

[quote]Dr J wrote:
“I feel like they could have took two minutes out of their time to speak to me, he told the TV station”

His poor use of grammar, especially as college junior, may not actually reflect low intelligence, but just sounds horrible. I tend to give less credence to statements made with grammar such as that. [/quote]

I habitually ignore them, or use such statements as a test to clean out my social media newsfeed into marginally intelligent sentiments (well, at least they know how to write correctly…)


#15

It’s a sure sign of intelligence or lack thereof. I really don’t believe in dyslexia - it’s just a nicer word for halfwit. It makes them feel better about themselves but gives them inflated confidence in their own faculties - Dunning-Kruger that is. I’ve never understood how they literally don’t know. Guys who haven’t read a single book in their life yet think they know more than a guy who has accumulated a small library? But they really don’t know. They must think everyone who reads is just bluffing or something. It’s a mystery to me.


#16

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
It’s a sure sign of intelligence or lack thereof. I really don’t believe in dyslexia - it’s just a nicer word for halfwit. It makes them feel better about themselves but gives them inflated confidence in their own faculties - Dunning-Kruger that is. I’ve never understood how they literally don’t know. Guys who haven’t read a single book in their life yet think they know more than a guy who has accumulated a small library? But they really don’t know. They must think everyone who reads is just bluffing or something. It’s a mystery to me.[/quote]

I take a lot of what you post with a grain of salt, but as a father of three boys, one who is a straight A student and in the gifted and talented class, as well as one who is dyslexic, but a math genius, the youngest boy not in school yet, you sir are a complete moron to assume dyslexia is an an excuse for being a half wit.


#17

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
It’s a sure sign of intelligence or lack thereof. I really don’t believe in dyslexia - it’s just a nicer word for halfwit.[/quote]

You are not only narcissistic, and a complete buffoon with the ladies, but in my opinion you have cemented the idea that you are indeed a complete moron.


#18

[quote]bullpup wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
It’s a sure sign of intelligence or lack thereof. I really don’t believe in dyslexia - it’s just a nicer word for halfwit.[/quote]

You are not only narcissistic, and a complete buffoon with the ladies, but in my opinion you have cemented the idea that you are indeed a complete moron.
[/quote]

Now if you’d broached it in a reasonable manner - ie, respectfully but still assertively; forcefully; aggressively and without the personal antagonism and hostility(who the fuck are you dingbat?), you may actually have had a shot at convincing me. Often one can be mistaken and rush to overly confident positions in a foreign field. I’m certainly not trained in that field. But with arseholes I just feel more convinced of my own hunch. Yes…dyslexia = halfwit. See that’s how people work. You’re not a people person are you? You just don’t click with people right? A loner huh. Fuck off then loner. Work on your people skills and your persuasiveness and sophistry. You won’t convince anyone of anything with that attitude.

Anyway, I’m not going to stick around to be convinced. I don’t frequent this forum regularly anymore. Politics is bad for my synapses. Maybe you can convince pushharder how wrong Christianity/Christians is/are, or lecture beans on taxation or argue with the loy-yahs about the law or lecture the resident Israeli on Israel or tell the journo how to write or something along those lines. I’m not going to stick around to watch. Nice meeting you.


#19

A genius huh? Love for your own child certainly is blind and near unconditional isn’t it? Yes, I know. They’re all geniuses. Every damn one of them. Even the poor Spencer’s boy with the hairlip and the lazy eye. Bright as potted eel. And his daddy loves him no matter what. Touching, touching…


#20

Your command of the English language is impeccable, I my self am a simpleton. I use small words like cunt, and douche bag.

I believe it’s better to just keep it simple as opposed to baffling people with bullshit and fancy words.

Genius, yes when an 8 year old boy can do algebraic equations, but cannot make the distinction between the words (saw,was), while reading a book, doesn’t make him a halfwit.

Yes love for a child is blind, as I am almost certain your father would have wished he’d pull out, or your mother had swallowed.