Racist or Not?

This is why I dont watch wrestling

Come on… the WWE has been doing this shit for years- Chavo and Eddie Guerrro, Mexicans, had the tag-line ‘Lie, Cheat and Steal’. The Italian tag-team had a mafia-type thing going for a while. The new Scottish tag-team are called the Highlanders and look like barbarians straight out of the 15th Century. The new Samoan wrestler, Umaga, is portrayed as a savage. So if the WWE is racist, it’s racist against everybody, whites included- you’ve got stupid redneck wrestlers, rich cowardly white wrestlers, dorky cheerleaders, etc. Saying the WWE is racist is a bit like saying Dave Chapelle is racist.

[quote]RickJames wrote:
If they were white, would you say the same thing? Hispanic? Asian? Generally those that have their thoughts go to racism are the racist ones themselves. I don’t see the world in terms of race, so it’s hard for me to pick up on “racism” unless it’s legitimate. [/quote]

I think you are missing the point. The video exploits a negative racial stereotype.

If I understand your post correctly, you are saying that it is racist to acknowledge that there is a stereotype, even if one does not believe in the stereotype. This is simply not true.

I don’t see how someone could fail to see racism in that video.

[quote]deanosumo wrote:
Come on… the WWE has been doing this shit for years- Chavo and Eddie Guerrro, Mexicans, had the tag-line ‘Lie, Cheat and Steal’. The Italian tag-team had a mafia-type thing going for a while. The new Scottish tag-team are called the Highlanders and look like barbarians straight out of the 15th Century. The new Samoan wrestler, Umaga, is portrayed as a savage. So if the WWE is racist, it’s racist against everybody, whites included- you’ve got stupid redneck wrestlers, rich cowardly white wrestlers, dorky cheerleaders, etc. Saying the WWE is racist is a bit like saying Dave Chapelle is racist. [/quote]

Seconded. If you really care about whether the WWE is racist or not you have WAAYYY too much time on your hands.

[quote]dead_lifter5000 wrote:
Who the fuck would watch professional wrestling in the first place? [/quote]

Them same God fearin Folks that voted for W !!