Race to 5 Plate Deadlift

I’ll join as well. I’m 19 (20 on July 27) and my 1RM as of now is 435. I’m 6’0’’ 200 lbs and looking to stay that way or gain up to 20 lbs. I’m looking for 500 deadlift, 405 squat, and 365 bench by the end of '09, so I guess I’ll try to get the deadlift sooner now.

I won’t be using gear and I will be using a mixed grip.

I plan to get there within 6 months of total training time, so I have 3 months left. I’m probably vastly underestimating just how hard it’s going to get, i.e. how slow progress is going to go after the next month or so. I don’t mind if I use mixed or overhand grip, but I won’t be using straps or a belt.

Looking to do double overhand, but if I missed that I’d go for mixed.

Recently turned 20, so just past teens.

It would seem more appropriate for people who are trying to achieve a 495 DL to post their lifts here.

For those who already DL that, why not just dig up that Feel Free to Brag thread. What’s the point of posting that you can already do it, unless you are going to offer some advice as how you got there, or what might help these guys get there?

[quote]Modi wrote:
It would seem more appropriate for people who are trying to achieve a 495 DL to post their lifts here.

For those who already DL that, why not just dig up that Feel Free to Brag thread. What’s the point of posting that you can already do it, unless you are going to offer some advice as how you got there, or what might help these guys get there?[/quote]

Advice/ squat deep, core work and speed pulls. \Advice

[quote]thosebananas wrote:
Modi wrote:

For those who already DL that, why not just dig up that Feel Free to Brag thread. What’s the point of posting that you can already do it, unless you are going to offer some advice as how you got there, or what might help these guys get there?

Advice/ squat deep, core work and speed pulls. \Advice[/quote]

I think you missed some finer points. What about grip issues? Locking out the hips? Upper back?

[quote]Modi wrote:

For those who already DL that, why not just dig up that Feel Free to Brag thread. What’s the point of posting that you can already do it, unless you are going to offer some advice as how you got there, or what might help these guys get there?[/quote]

im not sure if im one of the people youre talking about or not but if so,

i dont train for 1RMs, i probaly couldnt even hit a 500 just cause ive never pulled a single before.

so my race is for a 5 plate x6 because thats how i train. im not trying to brag on anyone either, i was deadlifting 315x8 in my teens. i wish i had the chance to pull a 500 @ <20

with that said, if anyone wants to know anything about my training feel free to ask.

I’ll join this. My DL has fallen too far behind my squat.

Anyway, I haven’t maxed out for quite some time. I’m gonna have a dl session this Saturday so maybe I’ll have something to report. If not, I have a meet on the 24th so… yeah.

How are ya’ll training to get to this lofty goal?

im 15 160lbs i got 405 for 3 on tuesday, but i hurt my hamstring i was going for 5 reps
i should be ready to go again on monday

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
Modi wrote:

im not sure if im one of the people youre talking about or not but if so,

i dont train for 1RMs, i probaly couldnt even hit a 500 just cause ive never pulled a single before.

so my race is for a 5 plate x6 because thats how i train. im not trying to brag on anyone either, i was deadlifting 315x8 in my teens. i wish i had the chance to pull a 500 @ <20

with that said, if anyone wants to know anything about my training feel free to ask.

[/quote]

I’m not picking on anyone in particular. But if you are pulling 455x7, I’m sure you could pull 495x1.

[quote]Modi wrote:

paused squats, deficit pulls, and speed work (bands and chains)

Here was today’s work:

Rack Pulls: 505 5 sets 2
1 arm rows: 100lbs 3 sets 15 reps
DB Shrugs: 80lbs 3 sets of 5 reps

The biggest problem for me has been my upper back. I threw in some Kroc rows and rack pulls and those are really helping me come along.

ill be in this race, best is 425@17, i wanna break 500 before summer ends, my rack pull is 455x2 and im working up to that but from id shin and its really helping my sticking point, next dl workout idk when but ill post it.

[quote]musicma1n1 wrote:
Here was today’s work:

The biggest problem for me has been my upper back. I threw in some Kroc rows and rack pulls and those are really helping me come along.
[/quote]

I will say, I feel that heavy, high rep db rows with no straps was a major player in my DL improvement. Not only hitting the upper back, but working the grip.

Since I’ve implemented these into my routine, I have had no concerns of dropping a weight.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
can i be in the 500x10 race?

currently looking for a 495x6 (5 plates)

and overall a 3/4/5 (plate) x6 i def think i can hit the bench and deadlift because i only need to add ~40 pounds to them each but my squat is about 90 pounds away.

im at 455x7 right now

i use straps but no belt cause theyre for pussies.

good luck to all, theres some good lifters in here so im sure ya’ll will hit it soon. good luck esp. to you Zep, youre a good shit and i hope you break that record.[/quote]

Thanks dude, I’ll give it hell.

HOOK GRIP FTMFW!

[quote]mahwah wrote:
musicma1n1 wrote:
Here was today’s work:

I will say, I feel that heavy, high rep db rows with no straps was a major player in my DL improvement. Not only hitting the upper back, but working the grip.

Since I’ve implemented these into my routine, I have had no concerns of dropping a weight.
[/quote]

I’m ordering a plate loaded DB handle this week, so I can start doing kroc rows again. I’m amped as hell for that. Has anyone mixed 5/3/1 with coan-phillipi? Did you use a lower % for the squat?

Question about the hook grip, do you have any loss of sensation in your thumbs?

[quote]malonetd wrote:
thosebananas wrote:
Modi wrote:

Advice/ squat deep, core work and speed pulls. \Advice

I think you missed some finer points. What about grip issues? Locking out the hips? Upper back?
[/quote]

I was just posting what I did different from normal that seemed to bring my deadlift up.

Deep squats/front squats brought my glutes into it mroe which helped with lockout i suppose.

My grip has never been a problem for me. I spent last summer destroying it as it was a lagging part. Dead hang 3xfailure with 1 min rest, plate pinchs to failure. Heavy bar bell holds for more than 15secs are all things i used then. Now i only ever pull with strapbs for powershrugs and racks pulls if my grip is fatigued.

[quote]mahwah wrote:
Question about the hook grip, do you have any loss of sensation in your thumbs?[/quote]

What I do is I wrap my thumb in medical tape from the nurses office (it’s next door). Any sort of tape will do, a buddy of mine uses it on his deadlifts and he reps 655. I’ve had a lot of success using this method because it doesn’t sacrifice grip or friction, but reduces the ripping of your skin.

pulled 455 today 30 pounds pr it was awesome