Race to 1,000lb Squat

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:

[/quote]

A monolift sure would make life easier.[/quote]

yea, after using one and spotting/loading an AAU teen/junior meet, i refuse to ever walk out a squat again. spotting the squat for those kids was the scariest thing ever. and the 200lb guy has to have an edge on the bigger guys right? haha

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:

[quote]Achilles of war wrote:
Ive always wondered, how much weight does a multi ply suit like that add to your squat?

I know you have to train technique differently so its not a direct calculation, but how much would you say your raw squat is?[/quote]

My best raw squat is 670. The first time I put the Jack Briefs on I squatted 765. I can’t even imagine what full gear feels like. I can say, as a proficient raw squatter, that squatting in gear requires a lot more technique and testicular fortitude.[/quote]

It is different for everyone.
When I squatted like 425 raw, I hit 755 in preds and an overkill poly suit… So then I got 330lbs…

When I squatted 700 raw, recently, I had just finished some geared training and the most I had went up to was around 885, with a few days taking 900+, but I would always wobble and either cut it high or get off balance with it, although I was around an inch high a few times. So now I get 200 or so from full gear.
I think I just need to improve my stability with heavy weights and I will be able to handle a lot more weight.

I’m in on the challenge. I am training raw for awhile so I doubt I will even take an attempt at it soon… but over the summer I had thought about hitting a geared meet again.

Is this a meet lift only or will training count for this challenge if we have video proof?

[quote]BigSkwatta wrote:
I’m in on the challenge. I am training raw for awhile so I doubt I will even take an attempt at it soon… but over the summer I had thought about hitting a geared meet again.

Is this a meet lift only or will training count for this challenge if we have video proof?[/quote]

either one, i’m assuming it’ll be a gym lift followed by comp lift. but don’t matter to me. good to have some people on board! yea i prolly won’t do a meet until summer or fall so no rush!

[quote]The3Commandments wrote:
Disclaimer, I know nothing about training at these sorts of weights and with this sort of gear.

I’m very curious: how long do you think that it will take to progress from where you’re at now to the 1000lb mark?

My only real mental filter for all this weight increases for really strong people has been hearing Phil Stevens on Iron Radio talking about deadlifting, where he feels lucky to get 5-15 lbs out of a year of training. I understand that the squat is different because of the gear and such, and I’m curious as to how different it actually is.[/quote]

well initially you will gain quite a bit in gear with an ability to gain more from gear, very similar to beginner raw gains. however once you get passed that, the gains will become smaller and far between, more like raw work. i don’t expect to hit a straight weight 1,000lb squat for a while yet, prolly late summer or fall? if everything goes ok. however i’m still getting fast gains from the equipment because of my inexperience with my newer briefs/suit and getting use to equipped squatting again.

[quote]2-SCOOPS wrote:

Disclaimer, I know nothing about training at these sorts of weights and with this sort of gear.

I’m very curious: how long do you think that it will take to progress from where you’re at now to the 1000lb mark?

My only real mental filter for all this weight increases for really strong people has been hearing Phil Stevens on Iron Radio talking about deadlifting, where he feels lucky to get 5-15 lbs out of a year of training. I understand that the squat is different because of the gear and such, and I’m curious as to how different it actually is.[/quote]

well initially you will gain quite a bit in gear with an ability to gain more from gear, very similar to beginner raw gains. however once you get passed that, the gains will become smaller and far between, more like raw work. i don’t expect to hit a straight weight 1,000lb squat for a while yet, prolly late summer or fall? if everything goes ok. however i’m still getting fast gains from the equipment because of my inexperience with my newer briefs/suit and getting use to equipped squatting again. [/quote]

I’m thinking of going back to my single ply suit or my overkill suit. I love the support from canvas but I can hit 800 for a double in briefs pretty easy and throw the suit on and the only difference is depth is harder and I have too much shit bunched up in my hips.

How is the Jack suit? I may try to catch it on sale sometime

[quote]BigSkwatta wrote:

[quote]2-SCOOPS wrote:

well initially you will gain quite a bit in gear with an ability to gain more from gear, very similar to beginner raw gains. however once you get passed that, the gains will become smaller and far between, more like raw work. i don’t expect to hit a straight weight 1,000lb squat for a while yet, prolly late summer or fall? if everything goes ok. however i’m still getting fast gains from the equipment because of my inexperience with my newer briefs/suit and getting use to equipped squatting again. [/quote]

I’m thinking of going back to my single ply suit or my overkill suit. I love the support from canvas but I can hit 800 for a double in briefs pretty easy and throw the suit on and the only difference is depth is harder and I have too much shit bunched up in my hips.

How is the Jack suit? I may try to catch it on sale sometime[/quote]

i just bought a pair of used boss briefs, love them, i really like the jack suit so far, best part i like about it is the legs are much wider than with the ace suit. yea i know what you mean, i like my gear a little loose. is your canvas a leviathian? i’ve kinda been wanting to try one but haven’t wanted to spend the money. yea the jack when it’s 30% off is hard deal to beat.

[quote]2-SCOOPS wrote:

[quote]HollywoodAIP wrote:

[quote]2-SCOOPS wrote:
well i guess i’ll post first. monday was safety bar, straps down 760/160lbs chains for a double, prolly 900 ish at top. here is vid of squat bar 955x2 reverse band, negligable at top and -80 at bottom, loose straps up, pretty easy but leaving room to still move up in weight. also hit a 625/160lbs chains equipped pull off 2" blocks last week, sooo race to 800 dead? lol…still a ways off.

[/quote]

Good Lord man that’s impressive! What are you sitting at weight wise? You look like a 220 pounder.

Also, I will be competing at the SPF Longhorn Classic. I plan on improving upon my 1005 squat. Is anyone going to SPF Nationals in June?[/quote]

i’m a 198, my walking around weight is just over 200. Nice work on the 1005! what are you going for?[/quote]

I attempted 1025 twice, but was red-lighted for depth on both attempts. The 20 pounds I put on after weigh-ins made my gear fit WAY too tight. Here are my attempts at 945, 1025, and 1025, although I and most others believe that my last attempt should and would have passed at any other SPF meet. Schuyler Hamilton Longhorn 4/7 - YouTube

Why would you do it in a meet? It costs too much money, you’re better off doing it in the gym for free. Or better yet use a wooden log and attach cars to it to achieve desired weight, that would cost even less. Never do something for money when you can do it for free

[quote]daraz wrote:
Why would you do it in a meet? It costs too much money, you’re better off doing it in the gym for free. Or better yet use a wooden log and attach cars to it to achieve desired weight, that would cost even less. Never do something for money when you can do it for free[/quote]

what the fuck ?

[quote]daraz wrote:
Why would you do it in a meet? It costs too much money, you’re better off doing it in the gym for free. Or better yet use a wooden log and attach cars to it to achieve desired weight, that would cost even less. Never do something for money when you can do it for free[/quote]

[quote]2-SCOOPS wrote:

[quote]2-SCOOPS wrote:

I attempted 1025 twice, but was red-lighted for depth on both attempts. The 20 pounds I put on after weigh-ins made my gear fit WAY too tight. Here are my attempts at 945, 1025, and 1025, although I and most others believe that my last attempt should and would have passed at any other SPF meet. Schuyler Hamilton Longhorn 4/7 - YouTube

nice, looked really strong. that weight is moving real fast. your 3rd looked good from the angle. damn, 20lbs after weigh in?
question for you, how far out from the meet do you take your last heavy squat day?

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:

[quote]daraz wrote:

[/quote]

aahhhhh…got it.

first on the ignore list

[quote]2-SCOOPS wrote:

[quote]2-SCOOPS wrote:

[quote]2-SCOOPS wrote:

I attempted 1025 twice, but was red-lighted for depth on both attempts. The 20 pounds I put on after weigh-ins made my gear fit WAY too tight. Here are my attempts at 945, 1025, and 1025, although I and most others believe that my last attempt should and would have passed at any other SPF meet.

nice, looked really strong. that weight is moving real fast. your 3rd looked good from the angle. damn, 20lbs after weigh in?
question for you, how far out from the meet do you take your last heavy squat day?[/quote]

For this meet, my last max effort day was 2 weeks prior, and then 1 week prior, I figured out my opener. The 5 days or so leading up to the meet I really focused on mobility, foam rolling, and other restorative techniques. If I’m not mistaken, this is how most people program before meets.

[quote]2-SCOOPS wrote:

[quote]BigSkwatta wrote:

[quote]2-SCOOPS wrote:

How is the Jack suit? I may try to catch it on sale sometime[/quote]

i just bought a pair of used boss briefs, love them, i really like the jack suit so far, best part i like about it is the legs are much wider than with the ace suit. yea i know what you mean, i like my gear a little loose. is your canvas a leviathian? i’ve kinda been wanting to try one but haven’t wanted to spend the money. yea the jack when it’s 30% off is hard deal to beat.[/quote]

Yeah, it is a leviathan. I still think it is the best suit on the market for those it works for. I just haven’t figured it out yet.

Boss briefs are the best. I have an old pair that are so worn out the laminated plys are coming apart, and I get the exact same carryover I get to from my basically new (worn 5 times) ACE briefs. I still prefer the boss over the ace when I am in full gear because it is so much thinner and won’t bunch up in the hips as much.

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:

[quote]daraz wrote:
[/quote]
I know right

went 1005 rev band tonight. form was not good on the way down, didn’t sit back and then had to adjust, its pretty noticeable in the vid. i also went with a little tighter straps, i have a hard time getting a big breath with slightly tighter straps. suggestions fixing this besides the obvious of just keeping the straps a little looser?

Pretty much squatting what I total.

I don’t mean any disrespect, but is that depth? I squat a SHIT load lighter, but I can go pretty deep too. Plus I don’t know anyone that really ‘squats’ so I don’t have anyone to compare it to - to you that is.

Well, I am in the NASTY group at the elitefts seminar. I signed up basically just to go up there and squat in full gear while a bunch of people who are stronger and smarter me tell me how bad I suck. I might hit 1,000 while I am there. haha.

Nice work Scoop-ster!