Race for 350 Bench.

I’ll take a go. 315 is my gym PR, 300 in the meet.

I did 225+140 lbs of chain for a double off a foam pad this past week. Shooting for doing 230 + 140 lbs of chain this week, hopefully more reps too.

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

[quote]americaninsweden wrote:

[quote]CSEagles1694 wrote:

Yea, Smolov is the first time I have ever actually used a bench program, even though its not really a bench specific program, and its only a 3 week one. When is your next max planned Ellis?

CS, I like the long term planning of your goals. You think you can put on 100 plus lbs in 16 months? The first time i started benching frequently I jumped from 215-315 in about 11 months but that was newb gains and a lot of fat. How long have you been benching with Coan now?[/quote]

Yes, I think I can. I’ve been benching with Eddy for about 12 weeks now.

This will also be interesting because I’m going to try and keep my BW under 225 for the most part for the next 4-5 years.

CS[/quote]
What is your height and weight right now?

I am already over 225, about 242 but at 6’5. I have actually lost weight since the beginning over the year (7lbs) and put at least 22 pounds on my bench somehow.[/quote]

About the same size as me so I will be following how you do on this program. What kind of grip distance do you use? I started using a closer grip several months ago so with my long arms it a huge ROM but I finally feel more comfortable benching.[/quote]

I started out with a middle-finger-on-the-ring type grip, but once my triceps got stronger, I moved my grip in one finger.

CS

The gym I bench at uses a fatter bar (55lbs I think) and the ring positions are wider so I’m not sure where my hands place on a standard bar.

UofH, seems like an extremely random injury, glad to hear your healthy. What do your working sets look like?
[/quote]

I did 4 sets of 5 at 245 last week. It was my first week really benching again and I didn’t want to push it. I’m going to keep adding 10lbs until it starts to get heavy and then go from there. Probably 3 or so more weeks, then transition to a top set with some down sets and ramp down from 5s to 3s and singles. I do a speed bench day now too.

My PRs from my last training cycle were maybe 325x2 then 275x10 for a downset. I think after that I was missing doubles at 330 and 335.

Welcome Mercury, I saw your competition log a week or two back. Any residual effects from the misload? Strong stuff overall. I am working out at a gym that is a mix between 24hr fitness and planet fitness but it is 14 times smaller, what I am trying to say is I am jealous of the foam, boards and chains.

Did workout #7 of Smolov jr. today, 8x4 at 115kg (253.5lbs) Was pretty rough but got them all with no assistance. 5 more workouts, then a week of deload (or something like that) and then I am shooting for 330 min.

Welcome Mercury, I saw your competition log a week or two back. Any residual effects from the misload? Strong stuff overall. I am working out at a gym that is a mix between 24hr fitness and planet fitness but it is 14 times smaller, what I am trying to say is I am jealous of the foam, boards and chains.

Did workout #7 of Smolov jr. today, 8x4 at 115kg (253.5lbs) Was pretty rough but got them all with no assistance. 5 more workouts, then a week of deload (or something like that) and then I am shooting for 330 min.[/quote]

I think it may have thrown me out of alignment. I had to shut squats down at 315 on Saturday because of bad back and knee pain on my left side so I think I may have really set something out of whack at the meet. Hopefully things start feeling better since I need to get some quality training in before nationals.

Before I switched on over to MBB, I had made my own boards, bought my own bands over time, and the chains as well since I was training only at a commercial gym. All said and done I spent maybe 250 on a full set of short and long bands + chains. The chains were about half the total costs, and the boards cost me 15 bucks to make a 1-5 board. Go and purchase some of the stuff and take your training to new levels - it’s fun to use the stuff and helps obviously.

I’d recommend getting a set of short - minis and monsters. A set of long light and long monsters and long average bands (all from elite). Those are the things I use most (avg for rev band work) and if you get them on sale which happens pretty often you’ll probably be able to keep under 50 bucks.

im in i just got 315 about a month ago im 6:1 220ish runnin 5/3/1 boring but big

I’m in on this. Put up 300 last week. 5’9" 167. probably will finish last but oh well

I’m in on this. Put up 300 a week ago. 5’9" 165ish . probably will finish last but oh well.

Haven’t made 315 yet, or else I’d go in. 295 is my best bench to date.