T Nation

R U A Txter?

I just read a blog about stupid people, willfully ignorant and know it alls. But it seemed to sugest that if you use abreviations and/or spell how you would on a text message then people will asume some level of stupidity.

I think this is a bit harsh, the english language is evolving all the time. American english for example has simplified many words like ‘colour’ and ‘through’ (to good effect too, theres no need for all them letters) even within english words get shortened like the word ‘olde’.

Also I’m dyslexic and struggle to spell words correctly but if anyone were to say I was stupid I’d laugh at them. during my dyslexia test i had to do an IQ test which put me in the upper quartile of the population.

maybe i can agree that poor punctuation can change the meaning of text, but not using capital letters or using well known abreviations shouldn’t make any differance at all. The post that got me on to this also said that the OP hated people that refused to except criticism and take onbord new ideas.

Well abreviations are an improvement on full words in that as long as meaning is not compramized then it is more effecient, and leaves you more time to lift weights and eat food (rather that type all day)

After reading the original post I’m going to put in extra effort to spell all words fully in the hope of avoiding the stupid brush, but I strongly disagree with this premiss.

I’m not so sure. I am 21 and grew up just as the internet was taking off. As such, I am a prime candidate for understanding the text-speak/chat-speak thing, but I don’t.

I don’t think that kind of abbreviation makes you look stupid per se, but it certainly doesn’t help. My first thought is that using that kind of text speech is hard to read (unless you spend a lot of time around it, and I don’t) and looks like the person didn’t want to take the time to be legible. As such, I don’t really feel like taking the time to read it. Most of the time if I see a post like that I skip over it completely.

In my opinion it’s about respect, and taking the time to “type in a formal manner”.

[quote]wukey wrote:
Well abreviations are an improvement on full words in that as long as meaning is not compramized then it is more effecient, and leaves you more time to lift weights and eat food (rather that type all day)

[/quote]

Mispellings, bad grammar, and ambiguous punctuation may be more efficient for the writer, but if you look at communication as a two way street, all of the above make it less efficient for the reader.

In my mind, sloppy writing is a reflection on the sloppy thinking behind the writing. As I wrote in another thread, like it or not, you are what you write on the internet. If you write like a dumbass, then …

There is only one poster that I know of whose content is so valuable and written with such good intention that I barely even notice his sloppy writing. On the other hand, the 15 year old, lazy ass punks, with their IM speak posts have laid no foundation to justify cutting them slack.

I use texting, well, when I text. Otherwise it is english.

Also, bitches love smiley faces.

What pisses me off more is that some high educated people (professors ,phds…) are fascinated by this type of writing…
It’s like “whoa! a new language is born…”
People really wrote university thesis about this stuff.
It makes me wanna puke.

Fucking hate my friends who type in that tardo-abbreviation scribble. Makes them come off like some 13 year old dimwits trying to be cool. I will never succumb to that lame bullshit.

[quote]Ren wrote:
I use texting, well, when I text. Otherwise it is english.

Also, bitches love smiley faces.[/quote]

Nothing important was ever written with thumbs.

[quote]Brant_Drake wrote:
Nothing important was ever written with thumbs.[/quote]

LOL

“Strong Words” candidate.

I have no problem with people who use obvious abbreviations (It’s ez 4 u 2 b reading this.) What makes or breaks a sentence is downright syntactical and grammatical negligence. All of the truly illegible posts aren’t so because of text message-style abbreviations – the culprit is nearly always fragmented sentences, ghastly spelling and an inability to put together statements according to linguistic guidelines. Is it so inconvenient for one’s communications to actually communicate something?

http://www.bartleby.com/141/

For me it all comes down to a time thing. On cell phone, I use the word U instead of You simply because it is a pain in the ass to type anything with a cell phone.

That and I don’t actually discuss things on a cell phone, I use text messages to get a brief point across.

Then again I don’t hunt and peck on a keyboard either. I rarely even look at the keyboard when I’m typing. Typing out a full word, is not that big deal for me, since using a keyboard is about as effortless as talking. Sometimes even easier.

Video game nerds for the win.

Using text speak while texting is somewhat acceptable. I think that people who text, accept it. Other than that, I would never do it. It doesn’t not mean you are stupid, but at times you may be perceived to be stupid and/or lazy. If you want to use it with your stupid friends, who cares, it doesn’t matter what they think anyway. But I would not use it in business or work life.

If I was dealing with someone in business who used text speak in an email, I would immediately be less inclined to do business with them. If I have no choice you may get away with it, but in a competitive situation you can’t afford this laziness to hold you back.

Not to mention, the lower the standards go, the better you make yourself look by holding yourself to a higher standard.

I text often, and it drives me nuts. When I first start seeing someone, and they’re doing the “cute” texting throughout the day update thing, I let them know immediately that that shit’s gotta go. No exceptions.

Predictive text negates the need for “txt spk”. It is faster to use proper words and predictive text that it is to use that irritating shorthand.

Plus it really does make you look stupid, sorry but that is my perception and also the perception of many many others. Have some respect for your reader.

It is even more annoying on the internet, you have a keyboard for christ’s sake - type it out!

My only concession to “txt spk” is the use of smiley faces :slight_smile: :wink: :frowning: :’( to convey emotions, a joke or innuendos.

I very seriously think that the English language is dying. Nobody seems to have a vocabulary of more than twenty words anymore and its just a travesty.

I understand that you are dyslexic and by no means would I ever consider that makes you any less intelligent, BUT… I also see that most people that don’t make any effort at reading or writing CLAIM dyslexia for their laziness. Same as you might see overweight people claim a ‘thyroid’ problem. Anybody looking for a cop out will claim either. We live in a world where nobody takes responsibility for their shortcomings.

I don’t personally prefer to communicate in text speak, and I don’t really take anyone seriously who chooses this as their main form of communication (and keep in mind I write quite a bit over the internet). I still write in cursive as a rule by god, and even that is a dying art.

Text speak is no new and diverse language of any kind. Those who rely on it as a singular form of communication, do so because they know no further. You cant articulate this way, and if you never knew how in the first place… then text speak… is for you.

[quote]Nothingface wrote:

If I was dealing with someone in business who used text speak in an email, I would immediately be less inclined to do business with them. If I have no choice you may get away with it, but in a competitive situation you can’t afford this laziness to hold you back.

[/quote]

i totaly agree, its like if i see someone using some silly olde english font on a formal document (seen it on a CV befor, went straight in the bin) but an informal forum is a totaly different kettle of fish.

lots of strong opinions on this subject, i have to concede that with a keyboard you should try to fully spell words for the readers sake. but minor grammaticle errors like starting a sentence with ‘but’ or ‘and’ or not useing capital letters is ok in my book.

I also notice a lot of acronyms on this site like HTMU and lots of slang words like Lats and abs. So these are ok but 'cos and ‘u r’ aren’t. Its a very ambiguous line thats drawn here, but i supose when in rome…

To me it depends on who I am writing to and in what context. I am a very sarcastic person so I usually feel the need to put in a “lol” so that people know I am kidding around. To me it seems that some texting abbreviations can make up the gap that separates email and other electronic forms of communication and face to face time.

In the business world though, if someone put an LOL in a Memo I would be pissed.

To me it’s all context driven, and hell, when I was in high school we were taught that it isn’t proper English to use any contractions let alone abbreviations!

language exists to communicate ideas. as long as the idea is being communicated effectively, the mode of communication whether written language, sign language, abbreviations, symbols etc doesn’t really matter.

unless you are writing a professional or academic document, there is no need to dot your i’s and cross your t’s. so to speak.

if i wan’t to know who is with you a response of “Julie is with me” works just the same as “i’m w/julie”. I know what you are saying either way, and the message is the same.

When I text, I occasionally use txt shorthand, or whatever you call it. I don’t like it, but sometimes it’s necessary because of the 160 (I think) character limit.

As a side note, I really dislike “lol.” I avoid it at all costs. If I really need to point out that I am joking, I just type a “ha” or “heh.”

[quote]malonetd wrote:
As a side note, I really dislike “lol.” I avoid it at all costs. If I really need to point out that I am joking, I just type a “ha” or “heh.”[/quote]

It’s especially annoying because some people use it like punctuation and put it everywhere, even when what they’re saying is not even remotely funny.

Stuff like: “Wanna get lunch lol” or “Could you give me a lift, I have to pick up my car at the dealer lol”