T Nation

R.I.P. Tom Clancy

Looks like Tom Clancy died yesterday.

That’s sad…but real talk…when Stephen King goes there better be a national holiday.

Great writer. Loved without Remorse. lost two good ones this year with him and Vince Flynn

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Hopefully Ubisoft releases Rainbow Six Patriots as an homage to him.

[quote]GrizzlyBerg wrote:
Hopefully Ubisoft releases Rainbow Six Patriots as an homage to him. [/quote]

Are you kidding me?

Red Storm Entertainment knew had to build and execute a Rainbow 6 game. Not this horse shit ubisoft has put out since Raven Shield. God I want them to fucking die for killing the game series.

Heard about this from my colleague today, sad news to hear him go. I’m sure the new Rainbow Six will have some homage to Clancy, even if they can only slot it in the opening/closing credits.

Oh no!!! I hadn’t heard! Oh, I hate it when this happens. It’s been a long while now, but for a bit there Tom Clancy had me absolutely captivated.

That was before I had TNation to tell me about men things.

RIP, Tom.

What I think is so cool, is that he became a writer later in life. From what I know about him, he didn’t have any ambitions as a kid or young man. RIP Tom…

Great writer. Also Clear and Present Danger and Hunt for Red October were damn solid films.

I really hope the new ‘Jack Ryan’ film make amends for that Affleck crap

R.I.P…We also lost Elmore Leonard earlier this year and Robert Parker a couple of years ago. Damn shame, all were good in their own styles.

Is it bad that when I heard this my first thought was “That’s sad, even if he hasn’t written anything worth mentioning in the last 15 - 20 years”? You could convince me to include “The Bear and the Dragon” in that, but once he started whoring out his own name and just slapping them on those op center books that other authors co-wrote or flat out ghost wrote, that did it for me.

Actually, none of them after Red October and Red Storm Rising (seriously underrated) rose to the same level of technical detail, and after Without Remorse, they all started pushing a subtle political agenda

Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger, The Hunt for Red October and Without Remorse are all favorites of mine. The development of Mr. Clark was very well done.

his games were lame. Although i admit i liked Splinter Cell.

Damn Shame. Without Remorse and Clear and Present danger are two of my favorites. Clear and Present Danger in particular was a really intriguing look at the use, misuse, and abuse of power.

I remember when I finished Red Storm Rising thinking, damn, that was a long book.

But I was pissed it was over.

so I read it again.

I enjoyed some of clancy’s work, but I think some people are retroactively overrating his writing ability. He’s a decent author but not a great one and I don’t think just because he’s died recently that you can’t say that.

Rainbow six was a really good book, if a little tedious at times because some passages got a bit too bogged down in the details. I liked Patriot games too but didn’t care much for some of his other novels. I couldn’t for the life of me get into the hunt for red october.

Then again I’m the kind of cocksucker who thought JRR Tolkien’s writing, while obviously a fantastic imagination, was tedious as fuck sometimes. I think it was the two towers I remember thinking what the fuck this entire chapter is devoted to these dickheads doing literally nothing but walking.