[quote]lixy wrote:
Here are some of the people I consider heroes:

• Jesus of Nazareth
  • Mahatma Ghandi
  • Mehdi Ben Barka
  • Martin Luther King
  • Olof Palme
  • etc…

By the logic of Zap, the many people who voluntarily endured the braze of 9/11 to rescue others and died are naive and deserve Darwin awards. I say they’re heroes.
[/quote]

I didn’t see them laying in front of bulldozers to save an empty hovel.

[quote]lixy wrote:
thunderbolt23 wrote:
Hitler was both courageous and altruistic by your measure, after all he was quite adacious in martial spirit and was dedicated and unselfish to his Aryan peoples - a hero?

[/quote]

Altruism and benevolence are NOT the same thing. Altruism is a desire to commit suicide. Hitler was the supreme altruist — he demanded that people give their lives to ‘the Aryan race’.

Altruists usually demand that you live for something other than yourself — Allah, the Proletariat, the Race, the Tribe, whatever. Its simply a desire to destroy.

America was founded on the principle that your life belongs to you. The greatness of our country is a result of this natural selfishness (which is moral and correct).

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
lixy wrote:
Here are some of the people I consider heroes:

• Jesus of Nazareth
  • Mahatma Ghandi
  • Mehdi Ben Barka
  • Martin Luther King
  • Olof Palme
  • etc…

By the logic of Zap, the many people who voluntarily endured the braze of 9/11 to rescue others and died are naive and deserve Darwin awards. I say they’re heroes.

I didn’t see them laying in front of bulldozers to save an empty hovel.[/quote]

Suspected of being filled with guns that where used to kill people

Fuck her I’m glad she Darwined herself I wish more of them would Jonny Taliban for instance

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
America was founded on the principle that your life belongs to you. The greatness of our country is a result of this natural selfishness (which is moral and correct).

[/quote]
Unless you either voluntarily join the military or get drafted. Then all bets are off on having your own life. And by your logic would be considered immoral.

I don’t think it is that cut and dry. Certainly, the ability to “dance to the beat of one’s own drum” is what makes this country great but I don’t view it as a hallmark of all that is right and good. I think the fact that most people get a fair shot as long as they are “willing to show up” is also important.

(Don’t get me wrong I still think much needs to be fixed to level the playing fields for the have-nots. It’s hard to to make one’s mark when one cannot afford such basic needs as health care or education.)

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

Unless you either voluntarily join the military or get drafted. Then all bets are off on having your own life. And by your logic would be considered immoral.

I don’t think it is that cut and dry. Certainly, the ability to “dance to the beat of one’s own drum” is what makes this country great but I don’t view it as a hallmark of all that is right and good. I think the fact that most people get a fair shot as long as they are “willing to show up” is also important.

(Don’t get me wrong I still think much needs to be fixed to level the playing fields for the have-nots. It’s hard to to make one’s mark when one cannot afford such basic needs as health care or education.)[/quote]

I honestly think that the education part is BS.

If you want to get an education you can. Are there no public libraries in the US?

This “education” you speak of means at best mediocre teachers for the masses and at worst mass indoctrination.

[quote]orion wrote:
I honestly think that the education part is BS.

If you want to get an education you can. Are there no public libraries in the US?

This “education” you speak of means at best mediocre teachers for the masses and at worst mass indoctrination.[/quote]

This is not what I mean. There are many issues I see that would be hard to avoid, I am merely speaking from the competitive aspect of a formal education. I agree with you about the mediocre nature of education, even as it is without it being ubiquitous. There are many ways one can avail themself of the plethora of knowledge provided for one’s own edification. Unfortunately, that does not qualify one for a job.

The argument I am making is that there are many capable people left out because of their socio-economic circumstances. I think that needs to be addressed (as well as making the educational system more academically challenging). I would love to see a system where state college tuition would be free for anyone who performs in the top 20% of their respective states–rich or poor.

I think the drive to succeed in primary education would skyrocket if one felt they actually had a chance. If you ask the typical American high-school student what would keep them from attending college it isn’t that they don’t think themselves capable it is purely financially motivated. I would not institute this in our current state of education.

I would further try and encourage those not in the top 20 - 40% to choose another path like trade school and pump funding into financial aide for that as well. I don’t mind my tax dollars going to funding this type of activity as it addresses the most fundamentally important aspect of survival.

Every time I’m at IHOP, I wonder what great things she’d be doing now.

She was a hero.

The only difference between her and the students standing in front off the tanks at Tienamin square is this. An animal (probably Zaps hero) was driving the bulldozer.
A man was driving that tank.

It’s a good thing she didn’t do her humanitarian work in Afghanistan. They would have cut off her head.

[quote]Gkhan wrote:
It’s a good thing she didn’t do her humanitarian work in Afghanistan. They would have cut off her head.[/quote]

True enough but it’s the same result. What’s your point? That Zionists are just as bad as the Talibans?

[quote]Wreckless wrote:
She was a hero to terrorists everywhere.[/quote]

You got it!

[quote]lixy wrote:
Today is the three year annivesary of the death of Rachel Corrie. She was ran over over by an IDF Caterpillar D9 bulldozer when she tried to obstruct the destruction of a Palestinian doctor’s in Rafah. She was an American girl of 23 years old. This girl was a hero. R.I.P pretty.

http://www.rachelcorriefoundation.org/

Just wondering how many of you guys ever heard of her. Makes you think of the Lavon affair, the USS liberty and other notorious Israeli attacks on innocent Americans?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Liberty_incident[/quote]

What is being lost here is, what did these Palistian “doctors” do in incur the wrath of Israel? That’s what I want to know.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
What is being lost here is, what did these Palistian “doctors” do in incur the wrath of Israel? That’s what I want to know.[/quote]

Israel, in defiance to international law, flattens Palestinian houses to build Jewishs settlements.

That’s all there is to know.

heroism depends on what side of the coin you fall on.

I wouldn’t consider her a hero, becuase I don’t support her cause. I don’t support Israel’s cause either.

On the other hand I think steve saint son of nate saint would classify as a hero in my book.

[quote]lixy wrote:
pat36 wrote:
What is being lost here is, what did these Palistian “doctors” do in incur the wrath of Israel? That’s what I want to know.

Israel, in defiance to international law, flattens Palestinian houses to build Jewishs settlements.

That’s all there is to know.[/quote]

Dude WTF? You make them sound so much worse than what they actually are. Israel has been withdrawing from its settlements recently despite the settlers protesting a lot.

And I also hear that most of the settlers are like really radial zealots and that the majority of Israel doesn’t share their views. Most of Israel wants peace with its Arab neighbors.

I might get flamed for saying this but I think you are biased towards the arabs just because you are muslim.

[quote]40yarddash wrote:
Dude WTF? You make them sound so much worse than what they actually are. Israel has been withdrawing from its settlements recently despite the settlers protesting a lot.

And I also hear that most of the settlers are like really radial zealots and that the majority of Israel doesn’t share their views. Most of Israel wants peace with its Arab neighbors.

I might get flamed for saying this but I think you are biased towards the arabs just because you are muslim.[/quote]

No offense taken. Way too many Jews espouse my viewpoint for your “bias” argument to stand on its own.

Yes, the majority of Israelis and Palestinians want peace. There’s no question about that. But the settlements that were dismantled were not done as an act of kindness towards the Palestinians; rather, it was necessary that no Israeli is left behind “the wall”.

US complacency on the status quo seems to have drawn a lot of heat from both sides lately.

We don’t see the conflict from the same viewpoint because, while you get your news from the mainstream, I get mine from acquaintances living there. Remember that all journalists who report on the ME are heberged in hotels in Jerusalem and that there is effectively censorship in Israel.

Very few journalists dare take the risk and go live in Arab villages in Israel to report the racist regime such people live under. Some are even brave enough to report from the occupied territories at the cost of their own lives.

[quote]lixy wrote:
40yarddash wrote:

I might get flamed for saying this but I think you are biased towards the arabs just because you are muslim.

No offense taken. Way too many Jews espouse my viewpoint for your “bias” argument to stand on its own.

Yes, the majority of Israelis and Palestinians want peace. There’s no question about that. But the settlements that were dismantled were not done as an act of kindness towards the Palestinians; rather, it was necessary that no Israeli is left behind “the wall”.

US complacency on the status quo seems to have drawn a lot of heat from both sides lately.

We don’t see the conflict from the same viewpoint because, while you get your news from the mainstream, I get mine from acquaintances living there. Remember that all journalists who report on the ME are heberged in hotels in Jerusalem and that there is effectively censorship in Israel.

Very few journalists dare take the risk and go live in Arab villages in Israel to report the racist regime such people live under. Some are even brave enough to report from the occupied territories at the cost of their own lives.[/quote]

And those that do get kindnapped by the peace loving palestinians.

It’s all America’s fault!!!

Perhaps officially recognizing Israel’s right to exist might help?

[quote]lixy wrote:
pat36 wrote:

That’s all there is to know.[/quote]

I wanted to know why they flattened that house, or building. Not searching for ad hominem response that Jews hate palestinians and were flattening there houses for sport.