Quotes - Favorites

[quote]theBeth wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]theBeth wrote:
I want to crawl inside your brain and hang out for awhile. It’s like a library with a couch - only when you reach down into the cushions you can wrap your fingers around a different treasure every time. And the cushions smell like a man who’s been outside in woods cutting down trees…like sweat and sun and sawdust. [/quote]

That may well be the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me, Beth.

Though I might caution you about digging around in the cushions. Some of those “treasures” might be a little startling.[/quote]

Indeed. “Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people.” Carl Jung[/quote]

“One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.”

Check out Jung’s “red book” sometime. Now there was a guy with some pretty scary demons living in his couch.

[quote]theBeth wrote:
It’s like a library with a couch [/quote]

I once designed a room that was a round tower whose interior walls were completely lined with bookshelves, with a ladder on rails to reach the upper shelves, and in the center was a circular bed. It was for a young lady whose twin passions were literature and sex, in equal measures. For some reason your comment reminded me of that.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]theBeth wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]theBeth wrote:
I want to crawl inside your brain and hang out for awhile. It’s like a library with a couch - only when you reach down into the cushions you can wrap your fingers around a different treasure every time. And the cushions smell like a man who’s been outside in woods cutting down trees…like sweat and sun and sawdust. [/quote]

That may well be the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me, Beth.

Though I might caution you about digging around in the cushions. Some of those “treasures” might be a little startling.[/quote]

Indeed. “Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people.” Carl Jung[/quote]

“One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.”

Check out Jung’s “red book” sometime. Now there was a guy with some pretty scary demons living in his couch. [/quote]

I’m writing all this down.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]theBeth wrote:
It’s like a library with a couch [/quote]

I once designed a room that was a round tower whose interior walls were completely lined with bookshelves, with a ladder on rails to reach the upper shelves, and in the center was a circular bed. It was for a young lady whose twin passions were literature and sex, in equal measures. For some reason your comment reminded me of that. [/quote]

I don’t know why but that in turn made me think of this - “Lust’s passion will be served; it demands, it militates, it tyrannizes.” - De Sade

Yeah, and de Sade also waxed lyrical about the benefits of eating poop. There’s another guy with whom I wouldn’t want to match demons. :wink:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
Yeah, and de Sade also waxed lyrical about the benefits of eating poop. There’s another guy with whom I wouldn’t want to match demons. ;)[/quote]

Well it’s a relief to infer from this that you don’t seem to be into eating poop.

[quote]theBeth wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
Yeah, and de Sade also waxed lyrical about the benefits of eating poop. There’s another guy with whom I wouldn’t want to match demons. ;)[/quote]

Well it’s a relief to infer from this that you don’t seem to be into eating poop.[/quote]

Yeah. Juuuust not into it.

Not into necrophilia either, nor bestiality, despite anything Push might infer from my fascination with bonobo and orang-utan sexuality.

As for other proclivities, well, degradation and torture just don’t do it for me, either.

This is not to say, however, that my favorite flavor of ice cream is necessarily vanilla…

Ha! I had originally written “degradation and torture just do it for me”, erroneously omitting the word “don’t”.

I wonder if that was a Freudian slip, or a Jungian one.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]theBeth wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

Well it’s a relief to infer from this that you don’t seem to be into eating poop.[/quote]

Yeah. Juuuust not into it.

Not into necrophilia either, nor bestiality, despite anything Push might infer from my fascination with bonobo and orang-utan sexuality.

As for other proclivities, well, degradation and torture just don’t do it for me, either.

This is not to say, however, that my favorite flavor of ice cream is necessarily vanilla…[/quote]

I spewed coffee all over my work computer reading this. Email me. We can talk about ice cream and your favorite authors.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
Ha! I had originally written “degradation and torture just do it for me”, erroneously omitting the word “don’t”.

I wonder if that was a Freudian slip, or a Jungian one.[/quote]

A little of both…and I’m kind of wondering if the bonobo thing isn’t bestiality but more…promiscuity or heteroflexibility related.

[quote]theBeth wrote:
Email me. [/quote]

And how might one accomplish this, if one were so inclined?

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]theBeth wrote:
Email me. [/quote]

And how might one accomplish this, if one were so inclined?[/quote]

I see Push has failed to carry out his mission :wink:

He’s the man to ask.

[quote]theBeth wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]theBeth wrote:
Email me. [/quote]

He’s the man to ask.

[/quote]

No, a quick check of the email confirms that Push indeed accomplished his mission admirably, and without even smirking. You will be hearing from me presently.

You too, Push.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]theBeth wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]theBeth wrote:
Email me. [/quote]

He’s the man to ask.

[/quote]

No, Push did not fail. I think Varq’s spam filter is catching some of my emails.[/quote]

Its probably content related.

[quote]theBeth wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]theBeth wrote:
“What you do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what you say.” [/quote]

My two favorite Emerson quotes, back to back:

“It is easy in the world to live after the world’s opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude.”

“Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood.”
[/quote]

I relate to the first quote, I can see why it might be your favorite.[/quote]

Another female friend of mine, who knows me better than most, sent me this quote of Rushdie’s, said it reminded her of me. Not sure if I should be flattered or concerned.

"For a long while I have believed – this is perhaps my version of Sir Darius Xerxes Cama’s belief in a fourth function of outsideness – that in every generation there are a few souls, call them lucky or cursed, who are simply born not belonging, who come into the world semi-detached, if you like, without strong affiliation to family or location or nation or race; that there may even be millions, billions of such souls, as many non-belongers as belongers, perhaps; that, in sum, the phenomenon may be as “natural” a manifestation of human nature as its opposite, but one that has been mostly frustrated, throughout human history, by lack of opportunity.

"And not only by that: for those who value stability, who fear transience, uncertainly, change, have erected a powerful system of stigmas and taboos against rootlessness, that disruptive, anti-social force, so that we mostly conform, we pretend to be motivated by loyalties and solidarities we do not really feel, we hide our secret identities beneath the false skins of those identities which bear the belongers’ seal of approval. But the truth leaks out in our dreams; alone in our beds (because we are all alone at night, even if we do not sleep by ourselves), we soar, we fly, we flee.

“And in the waking dreams our societies permit, in our myths, our arts, our songs, we celebrate the non-belongers, the different ones, the outlaws, the freaks. What we forbid ourselves we pay good money to watch, in a playhouse or a movie theatre, or to read about between the secret covers of a book. Our libraries, our palaces of entertainment tell the truth. The tramp, the assassin, the rebel, the thief, the mutant, the outcast, the delinquent, the devil, the sinner, the traveller, the gangster, the runner, the mask: if we did not recognize in them our least-fulfilled needs, we would not invent them over and over again, in every place, in every language, in every time.”

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]theBeth wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]theBeth wrote:

“It is easy in the world to live after the world’s opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude.”

“Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood.”
[/quote]

Another female friend of mine, who knows me better than most, sent me this quote of Rushdie’s, said it reminded her of me. Not sure if I should be flattered or concerned.

"For a long while I have believed – this is perhaps my version of Sir Darius Xerxes Cama’s belief in a fourth function of outsideness – that in every generation there are a few souls, call them lucky or cursed, who are simply born not belonging, who come into the world semi-detached, if you like, without strong affiliation to family or location or nation or race; that there may even be millions, billions of such souls, as many non-belongers as belongers, perhaps; that, in sum, the phenomenon may be as “natural” a manifestation of human nature as its opposite, but one that has been mostly frustrated, throughout human history, by lack of opportunity.

"And not only by that: for those who value stability, who fear transience, uncertainly, change, have erected a powerful system of stigmas and taboos against rootlessness, that disruptive, anti-social force, so that we mostly conform, we pretend to be motivated by loyalties and solidarities we do not really feel, we hide our secret identities beneath the false skins of those identities which bear the belongers’ seal of approval. But the truth leaks out in our dreams; alone in our beds (because we are all alone at night, even if we do not sleep by ourselves), we soar, we fly, we flee.

“And in the waking dreams our societies permit, in our myths, our arts, our songs, we celebrate the non-belongers, the different ones, the outlaws, the freaks. What we forbid ourselves we pay good money to watch, in a playhouse or a movie theatre, or to read about between the secret covers of a book. Our libraries, our palaces of entertainment tell the truth. The tramp, the assassin, the rebel, the thief, the mutant, the outcast, the delinquent, the devil, the sinner, the traveller, the gangster, the runner, the mask: if we did not recognize in them our least-fulfilled needs, we would not invent them over and over again, in every place, in every language, in every time.”[/quote]

So, you are the dusty foot philosopher…the embodiment of our disowned parts. The unconventional nonconformist. You blaze your own solitary path?

[quote]theBeth wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]theBeth wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]theBeth wrote:

[/quote]

“And in the waking dreams our societies permit, in our myths, our arts, our songs, we celebrate the non-belongers, the different ones, the outlaws, the freaks. What we forbid ourselves we pay good money to watch, in a playhouse or a movie theatre, or to read about between the secret covers of a book. Our libraries, our palaces of entertainment tell the truth. The tramp, the assassin, the rebel, the thief, the mutant, the outcast, the delinquent, the devil, the sinner, the traveller, the gangster, the runner, the mask: if we did not recognize in them our least-fulfilled needs, we would not invent them over and over again, in every place, in every language, in every time.”[/quote]

So, you are the dusty foot philosopher…the embodiment of our disowned parts. The unconventional nonconformist. You blaze your own solitary path?[/quote]

“I’m a picker
I’m a grinner
I’m a lover
And I’m a sinner
playin’ my music in the sun…
I’m a joker
I’m a smoker
I’m a mid-night toker
I get my lovin’ on the run.”