Quote of the Day

My training partner said this to me tonight in the gym:

I don’t even remember what we were talking about but that made it right there. He pulls around 585 raw dog as a 181, pulling is kind of his game, but I thought that was a hell of an attitude to have.

he’s right. People are so afraid of the deadlift for some reason, and come up with a million excuses for not doing it.

I agree with this statement. Pulling helps you pull big, PERIOD. Nothing else to say other than… GET TO PULLING!

I was once asked (seriously) “Is it called a deadlift because it could kill you if you do it wrong?”

This is so true.

IMHO the deadlift is the biggest mental lift that there is. I remember the first time I pulled 510 was in a meet. Id missed it before in training but I managed to hit the lift, just.

A couple of weeks later I thought I would have another crack at it. I loaded it up and pulled it easy. When I went to unrack it I noticed I actually pulled 530lbs by mistake as I added it up wrong.

Because I ‘knew’ I could lift it there was no psychological barrier.

Once when doing some heavy hang cleans:

“So what does that work?”

[quote]SmittyTheOx wrote:
This is so true.

IMHO the deadlift is the biggest mental lift that there is. I remember the first time I pulled 510 was in a meet. Id missed it before in training but I managed to hit the lift, just.

A couple of weeks later I thought I would have another crack at it. I loaded it up and pulled it easy. When I went to unrack it I noticed I actually pulled 530lbs by mistake as I added it up wrong.

Because I ‘knew’ I could lift it there was no psychological barrier.[/quote]

That reminded I read a while back how Soviet coaches/sports psychologists would change the markings on the plates of their weightlifters at times to make them believe they were lifting more/less than they thought. Interesting stuff