T Nation

Quitting Smoking

I have decided to finally quit smoking after about 5 years. Im going on zyban to help me quit. Does anyone have an suggestions to help me quit it would be greatly appreicated. it would be alot easier with support just like everything is. I want to quit because i need to get better workouts and smoking ruins me. thanks

I smoked for 15 years before i finally quit.
i quit 2 years ago…

here’s the truth, but it’s not what you want to hear…

you have to WANT to quit smoking…
just saying it, isnt the same thing…
you really have to want it…
it’s a mind over matter thing…

3 years ago, i tried 3 or 4 times during the year… but kept going back.
2 years ago around feb. i said, this is it… i’m done and nothing will break me.

i put my mind to it and like i said 2 years and i’m smoke free.

it was truely a mind over matter thing for me…

quiting cold turky is the best.
it will take 1 week up to 1 month to get it out of your system.

it will take 6 months+ to totally stop thinking about it…
and about 1 year before the urges 100% go away…

but if you can make it 1-2 months you should do just fine…

i can now drink and be around other smokers with no problems…

even 6-8 months into not smoking was hard for me…
but now 2 years later it’s no problem…

good luck!

break the habitual triggers that are associated with it: starting the car, morning coffee, and any other things that are habitualy linked. It’s amazing how many things become tangled up in a habit like smoking. Those are just the small ones though.

The big ones are the major life stressors- loss of job, death of a loved one, etc.
Thats when you have to realy watch your ass. Thats where I lost.
I may try again soon though.

Good luck.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
break the habitual triggers that are associated with it: starting the car, morning coffee, and any other things that are habitualy linked. It’s amazing how many things become tangled up in a habit like smoking. Those are just the small ones though.

The big ones are the major life stressors- loss of job, death of a loved one, etc.
Thats when you have to realy watch your ass. Thats where I lost.
I may try again soon though.

Good luck.
[/quote]

i agree with this.
also, after a meal… that was huge for me…
every time when i was done eating, i’d go have a smoke…

so while i was quitting, i would eat a piece of sugar free hard candy, or chew sugar free gum…

you will only need to do this for a few months and then you’ll be ok…

it’s something that takes a lot of time.
and just like anything else
serious dedication…

but it CAN be done… just tell your self this is it and dont be a pussy about it.

every time you want a smoke
ask your self am i a man or a pussy?

if you smoke, then you know what you are.

that should be good motivation? :slight_smile:

check www.whyquit.com, i had more than a few people quit after they educated themselves there
good luck

13 yr smoker, 2 packs a day… 2 years free. Like Blitz said above and I say to everyone who asks… it is a choice and YOU have to make it. Simple as that. Not to say it won’t be damn hard on you, won’t try to beat you down and get you when you are weak. it will take every sneaky route it can to get back into your life, but like anything else that is worth it, you just have to man-up thru the hard times.

There is only one way to quit and that is cold turkey. 1 cigarette a day is still a smoker. Not smoking is not smoking. So do what you got to do, but it starts and ends with YOUR choice.

So make it.

I quit 5 years ago…what worked for me may not be possible for you, but:

-If you had a group of friends who smoked, you may want to limit your time with them or else you fall risk to the “heartstring smoking” (smoking because you want to be “a part of the group again”)…yeah it sucks, but it sure helps.

-Keep busy…I found myself hobbies and stuff to do with my hands and brain that made me think less of smoking.

-Remember that that nasty taste you get while quitting (de-toxing) for what it really is and what is really happening really helps too.

There are more but I gotta think of it.

[quote]JohnnyNinja wrote:
There is only one way to quit and that is cold turkey. 1 cigarette a day is still a smoker. Not smoking is not smoking. [/quote]

Period.

The hardest parts for me, already said, were the morning coffee and starting my car, and not going to the bars with my friends.

My brother used Zyban to quit, he said it gave him some wierd sides and violent and graphic dreams. Not trying to scare you, just passing on information.

Good luck. It’s worth it.

You dont need drugs to quit. Just quit and thats it. When you quit, you’re not “quitting” anymore you just don’t smoke. This really helped me I always wanted to quit and I’d be “quitting” which usually lasted a few days maximum but most of the time about half a day. Finally I just decided I don’t want to smoke anymore, I threw the cigarettes away and wasn’t a smoker anymore. It will be 2 years in September.

Like everyone else says the hard part is the worst like after a meal when drinking etc.

I quit 2 and 1/2 years ago by chewing the gum.
If you use the zyban and a few months from now you are free and clear, what does it matter if you went cold turkey? As long as you’re quit, I say.

[quote]budlight1 wrote:
I have decided to finally quit smoking after about 5 years. Im going on zyban to help me quit. Does anyone have an suggestions to help me quit it would be greatly appreicated.[/quote]

use the patch. it makes it much easier. the first week or two your gonna have to break the routine, after a meal, with coffe etc, then you can work on the physical side of it. i took the patch off after about two weeks. the physical withdrawls were much easier to deal with once the ‘habit’ was broken. get thru the first two weeks, then get back to us once the homicidal urges start to blossom…

dont know if it helps, but i know a uy who promised his son hed give him a check for fifty quid every time he smoked a fag. he did it once, and then after handing over the money he never did it again!

no fag was worth fifty quid :stuck_out_tongue:
you arent a pussy if you wean yourself off it. that’s just doing whatever it takes. intuitively id say weaning has the lowest risk of long term relapse, but i bet there is a TON of research on this, find someone with access to medline and borrow their password!!! GOOD LUCK

you dont need to quit to get good workouts i been smoking 13 years and working out 15 im huge and ripped no roids got staminia train hard take smoke breaks between workouts hey still go out all the time to forget zyban its not effective wait for this new one the fda just approved or dont whatever

[quote]jjay wrote:
you dont need to quit to get good workouts i been smoking 13 years and working out 15 im huge and ripped no roids got staminia train hard take smoke breaks between workouts hey still go out all the time to forget zyban its not effective wait for this new one the fda just approved or dont whatever [/quote]

Dude, this post is not helping the OP. He wants to quit…so let him quit and keep your unhelpful advice to yourself.