Quitting Smoking

Lots fo cardio might help. I have known dudes that can smoke before, after, even during a workout but I never could.
I just did’nt buy them and would’nt hang around friends that smoked. When I was weak and had a smoke I had to buy a whole pack and then I would throw it away. After a while I just could’nt justify doing that anymore. Don’t ever Quit Quitting. It’s a MAJOR addiction you can’t have just one, but if you do don’t give up. You can beat it, lots of cats that are’nt as smart or strong or tough as you have done it, so can you bro.

Thursday Cinnamon Tree Sticks. That’s all I gotta say. Super powerful toothpicks that are really good. Two, if chewing is your thing and you need something in your checks, try chewing sunflower seeds. You may get a little chunkier if you do a lot, but better than being a little deader.

Part of smoking is psychological. You build certain types of habits you get used to. Break times turn to smoke times. Certain times of the day are smoking times. Those are gonna be the hardest times so its when you begin to build new and better habits like the mentioned walking. Or take up a hobby. The best thing you can do is not to keep smokes around. Out of sight, out of mind.

So when you got a chance to stop at your fav gas station for smokes, just push the gas pedal. Its easier to drive past a place for a moment than have them staring at you for days at home. Avoid common situations where you’re liable to fail. If everybody goes out to smoke at a certain place, go some place. Often the best advice, as with a temptation like this, its better to run away than try to stand your ground.
-T

My father had his second heart attack at 50, his first was at 30. I quit the same day.

La’
Redsol1

Cardio. That’s what worked for me. When you’re running regularly, you will feel every cigarette you smoked the day before.

And no, the feeling never completely goes away. But it does get easier to ignore. (it’s been 15 years for me.)

Good luck.

it’s been 1.5 yrs for me

i quit by running out of smokes when i was too drunk to drive and simultaneously too much of a tightwad to take a cab to buy some more. obviously, running to the store was not an option. never looked back …

Bastard

That feeling never does go away.

I grew up in a household where both my parents smoked, along with every grandparent, uncle, and aunt…

My older brother, who never smoked a day in his life will still make the observation while we’re in a bar or when we walk by a smoker to the degree of “man, I can’t help but take a deep breath whenever I’m around a smoker, it’s pretty relaxing…”

Good on him for never starting, but it’s an example of how nicotine stays with you…

I think the feeling does go away for some people. I guess for some people it may not. My parents both smoked when they were young. Now neither of them can stand the smell of it and say they feel ill if they’re around it. Regardless, the advice to remove yourself from things associated with smoking (ie. alcohol) for awhile is a good one. These are things that cause the urge to smoke even in non-smokers, or rather the very occasional smoker.

I quit seven or eight years ago. It took three times to quit successfully. The first time I quit, I started again after I was sent home from work for insubordination .And the second time I quit, I started again after my ex-wife filed for a divorce. I finally quit using the patch. It did make it a bit easier. But I had to watch my temper. The desire for a cigarette has not gone completely but it is very mild. The biggest temptation is when someone smokes a good cigar. But the strangest thing is on occasion I reach for a cigarette and I have not carried them for about eight years

Cardio did it for me. I didn’t even really mean to quit smoking, but it happened. After I went for a good long run, my lungs were so raw that I couldn’t really imagine smoking after that, plus I had this feeling and idea of health so I didn’t want to ruin the runner’s high I had with smoke. Make sure you avoid the situations where you would be tempted to smoke. They raised the price of cigarettes to something ridiculous and made it illegal to smoke in bars and restaurants here so all the fun went out of it, too.

Now if I’m even near cigarette smoke I get a weird kind of sinus infection.

Irish…give us a word, man.

How’s it going?

I got three days under my belt (with a couple of drags of a friend’s yesterday). It is rough, but I noticed this morning that my cough, which had previously been a horrible, hacking monster, had completely disappeared. I only noticed it when it wasn’t there, kind of like when you hear the fridge stop running.

Plus, I’m $19.50 closer to buying something stupid/dangerous.

[quote]harris447 wrote:

How’s it going?

I got three days under my belt (with a couple of drags of a friend’s yesterday). It is rough, but I noticed this morning that my cough, which had previously been a horrible, hacking monster, had completely disappeared. I only noticed it when it wasn’t there, kind of like when you hear the fridge stop running.

Plus, I’m $19.50 closer to buying something stupid/dangerous.[/quote]

Haha. I hear you. I haven’t made the leap yet, yea I’m being a pussy (I’m cutting drinking down alot also though). I’m just reading the stories right now, preparing to make the leap. I’m sure you’ll know soon as I stop, because my dickhead factor will probably raise exponentially.

[quote]harris447 wrote:

How’s it going?

Plus, I’m $19.50 closer to buying something stupid/dangerous.[/quote]

Great job except for the slip. I bet you felt kind of odd taking a drag?

Don’t even think about the money, just think of how much better this is for you and how each day not smoking extends your life.

Irish, I think you have a challenger on your hands. You’ll probably have to cut the drinking too for a few weeks like I did. I now only drink weekends, where it was at least 2 beers daily…(Understatement.)

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
harris447 wrote:

How’s it going?

Plus, I’m $19.50 closer to buying something stupid/dangerous.

Great job except for the slip. I bet you felt kind of odd taking a drag?

Don’t even think about the money, just think of how much better this is for you and how each day not smoking extends your life.

Irish, I think you have a challenger on your hands. You’ll probably have to cut the drinking too for a few weeks like I did. I now only drink weekends, where it was at least 2 beers daily…(Understatement.)

[/quote]

Heh. Methinks you’re right. That’s why I’m slowing the drinking.

Well I suppose I will come out and chime in at the same time. This summer marked 20 years smoking for me. That was a real eye opener, 20 DAMN years. That and caring for a mother with cancer that started in the Lungs and progressed on to the brain and beyond (she was a smoker).

Anyway. It is now 4 months and 26 days since I have had a ciggarette. Yes the first few weeks is a bitch and I will be honest and say I would still like to have one, or a pack, but I can easily say no now. I dont think that will ever go away. I am away from the wanting to Rip someones arm off to take there smoke stage. Maybe now Just smack the shit out of them not permanently Mame them.

For me it was just getting to a point where I wanted to quit. Then it was cake. Also I didnt use an aid or cut down etc,. Just the way I myself do things. I dont want to move from one vise to another and have to prove to myself I am stronger than the addiction. That I can beat this without any outside help. to control this. It IMO is more Habit the Chemical.

After just weeks I could tell a difference in my wind etc. One thing that is AWESOME is the Taste of food My god you can tatse SOOOOO much more. I love spiced up foods and Man now they are even better than prior.

Also I agree with above. Just do something everytime you want one,. Stay busy. I actually made myself even more into training if thats possible and over the first month Lost weight from quitting. I would simply go lift something, or go on a walk, Bike ride, etc. Hey use the time to EAT big train hard and get SWOLE!!!

I will say now that I have a grasp on it I will allow a Cigar from time to time when out drinking. Or what not. I dont know, Just prove that I have a handle on it. Like a cheat meal of eating CRAP food. I can allow myself a treat from time to time and Back to normal the next day. Figure the occasional cigar with a drink is better than the previous 2 packs a day and few liters of whiskey. LOL I have NOT done a ciggarette though. Just to much of a connection there I would down a damn Pack that night.

Anyhow Stay strong bro. It well worth it Just think, do you really want something so miniscule having that much power over you. To be beaten by such a trivial substance. You are stronger than that.

Good Luck,
Phill

Well Irish…What’s up???

Still suckin on butts???

Ahh shat…I’m in on this one too…

I quit like 13 years ago, I wouldn’t suggest it…but joining the Army did it for me. Couldn’t hack the running, AND smoking at the same time. One of the 2 had to go…Did 7 years in the Army never smoked again.

I would say that I dip, but I’m not sure that it counts…Once a day…at the end of the day, but not every day.

It’s a smallllll pleasure I give to myself, but I could just be making excuses.

On one hand im thinking, “once a day can’t be all that bad…” on the other I’m thinking, “it would be so easy to just stop.”…meh???

[quote]Retroactive wrote:
Ahh shat…I’m in on this one too…

I quit like 13 years ago, I wouldn’t suggest it…but joining the Army did it for me. Couldn’t hack the running, AND smoking at the same time. One of the 2 had to go…Did 7 years in the Army never smoked again.

I would say that I dip, but I’m not sure that it counts…Once a day…at the end of the day, but not every day.

It’s a smallllll pleasure I give to myself, but I could just be making excuses.

On one hand im thinking, “once a day can’t be all that bad…” on the other I’m thinking, “it would be so easy to just stop.”…meh???[/quote]

I could never do that. I would still do it if I could ensure only 1 time a day.

[quote]shawninjapan wrote:

Have no illusions, you are addicted to a drug, you will have no control until you absolutely give them up, and, if you truly realize this, quitting is the easiest thing in the world.

I would say, with all due respect to them, don’t listen to the posters who talk about the hell it was to quit. They made it so. It doesn’t have to be at all. [/quote]

I dunno how you can say that it is an addictive drug, yet ex-smokers bring the hell upon themselves when quitting.

Here’s just one link from a fast google on nicotine addiction

http://www1.umn.edu/perio/tobacco/nicaddct.html

which includes the obligitory statement
" Tobacco is as addictive as heroin "
and it would stand to reason, then, is equally hard to quit.

You may have managed to make it easy on yourself giving up cigarrettes, but I don’t think it’s fair to tell someone that it won’t be hard.

Because, IMHO, it is fucken hard.

|/ 3Toes

i quit 6 yrs ago, i wasn’t working and on unemployment and in between checks.
right then i decided to see if i could
quit smoking and a few days later i got
my check i then decided to see if i could go longer and did.

the first 2yrs
had a total of 6 cigs. after that none.
it was predetermined that i was going to smoke, my mom smoked 3 packs a day
before i was born and the same for my dad and he did 1-2 packs day.

my mother
quit the day her mother died of massive heart attack due to smoking
about 25 yrs ago. my dad quit hours before his triple bypass about 15yrs
ago. both of my brothers quit a few yrs ago. cigs stinks so bad that that if the girl from the current powerfull image offered me sex with her and she smoked, i would say no.

[quote]bartonmlee wrote:
if the girl from the current powerfull image offered me sex with her and she smoked, i would say no. [/quote]

A toothbrush and some toothpaste would work for me. Hell I’d do her while she was smoking.