Quitting Smoking

try the nico-patch dude . it really took the edge off for me . 5 years and change .

looking back on it ,I dont remember it being all that difficult .

[quote]marlboroman wrote:
try the nico-patch dude . it really took the edge off for me . 5 years and change .

looking back on it ,I dont remember it being all that difficult .[/quote]

did you smoke marlboros by any chance?

Try taking some ecstasy and smoking 2 packs of menthols in one night. Sure as hell made me never want a cigarette again.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
A combination of factors have led me to believe that right now is the time to quit smoking for good. I’ve been doing it for 10 years, and at 26 I think I can still avoid the worst if I call it a day on it now.

I guarantee I’m going to be a huge dickhead for the next week or so because of this one. [/quote]

O’HOOLIGAN!!!

ah you brash and braw fella, best to you.

Good for you!! i smoked heavy for 15 yrs and yes the first week was a real bitch, but for me it started to get easier after that. It’s been 15 yrs since i quit and i still miss it but i can workout and still breath!! Goodluck!!!

the cravings come back really strong after two weeks of not smoking and again a month or so after.

I quit 7 years ago and chewed the nicotine gum. Don’t believe that guff that “it’s just substituting one addiction with another.” You chew it to get over the nicotine addiction and then later you will get over the habit.

One thing that you should understand is that it will not be as hard as you think. It’d be like a guy going to the gym the first time and doing 95lb squats and his legs feeling rubbery and tender the next day…he may say “If this was the first day…it can only get worse!” But we know he’d be wrong.

Here is the deal … I quit a year ago after smoking for 19 years. Even posted it online here on GAL.

I am still smoke free.

You will always get cravings. What is important is how you deal with those cravings.

Also what is important is how you deal with your smoker friends. I found best way to avoid smoking is to not be around it.

Enjoy the fresh clean air.

EDIT WTF must be really early cause some of that didn’t make any sense.

I quit 4 years ago, after smoking sent me to the hospital for 4 days with pneumonia. I spent New years Eve in the hospital. I started smoking when I was about 15, to be cool and it stuck with me. After the bout of pnmeumonia and losing 20 lbs, from it I had to stop, I was a walking contradiction so to speak. Back then I wish they had ash trays next to the benches so I can smoke between sets.

In a weird way getting sick was a great way to quit as I was so sick I couldnt even think about smoking for 2 weeks, when I finally was healthy I seem to get over the initial cravings. Im still smoke free, I have fucked every once in a while, espescially while drinking, but I never bought a pack since then. Good Luck bro, Im sure you will get through it.

I quit about ten years ago and that was one of the reasons I started to train, no way was I going to have a smoke after going to the gym. I think back to all the times I would have a smoke after playing hockey, didn’t even wait to take off the equipment, that first drag was glorious lol.

I still have dreams from time to time where I’m at the end of the dart and I’m upset with myself for starting up again and then I wake up, very weird feeling.

Good luck Irish.

BTW what is a carton of smokes in the US?. We pay about $90 for a carton of brand name cigs, fucking nuts.

[quote]bond james bond wrote:
I quit about ten years ago and that was one of the reasons I started to train, no way was I going to have a smoke after going to the gym. I think back to all the times I would have a smoke after playing hockey, didn’t even wait to take off the equipment, that first drag was glorious lol.

I still have dreams from time to time where I’m at the end of the dart and I’m upset with myself for starting up again and then I wake up, very weird feeling.

Good luck Irish.

BTW what is a carton of smokes in the US?. We pay about $90 for a carton of brand name cigs, fucking nuts. [/quote]

Depends heavily on the state. I never know carton prices but here in Missouri a pack depending on the brand costs between 3 and 6 $US

In illinois its more like 5-7 I believe

New York I understand to be more expensive.

[quote]BCSteel wrote:
I hope its as easy for you to stop as it was for me. 10 years and one day I just stopped. Sure, I had urges to have one for months afterwards but fuck, be a man about it and dont cave in. That was three years ago. I find the odor pretty offensive now and have zero desire to ever have a smoke again.[/quote]

this was exactly my experience sans the 10 years … maybe 5 years for me

A combination of factors have led me to believe that right now is the time to quit smoking for good. I’ve been doing it for 10 years, and at 26 I think I can still avoid the worst if I call it a day on it now.

I guarantee I’m going to be a huge dickhead for the next week or so because of this one. [/quote]

Good luck man, I hope it works out for you. I need to quit. I’ll prolly have to strap myself to a tree, tropic thunder style, for 3 days in the woods far away from my bank card and anyone who smokes to get free of it but it needs to happen. I’m killing myself with my smoking. I wish I didnt like it so much.

[quote]rcsermas wrote:
Try taking some ecstasy and smoking 2 packs of menthols in one night. Sure as hell made me never want a cigarette again.[/quote]

I guarantee I’ve done worse than that bud. I’m past that point haha.

Switch to dip. Real men dip.

So, your usual self then…no need to inform us, we already expect the dickhead.

Good luck bro, I quit a few years back myself, then went to chew, then finally quit that. I use no patch or nicotine supplement anymore, but the patch helped big time.

5 or 6 years ago I quit for 6 months. Then one Glorious summer day while making a 2 hour trip to my camp on the St Lawrence river, Sun shining, windows down, radio cranked. I decided Hell I’ll just stop and grab a pack for the weekend, enjoy this and then continue my quit. Yea, been smoking ever since. DUMB DUMB DUMB!

But I am weaning myself down, for the past 6 months my wife and I are on about 1 pack per week each. A year ago we were straight pack a day smokers. Our anniversary is June 13th, we are making our anniversary present to eachother quitting. I mean hell I went 6 months before so I know I CAN quit. I’m 30 so it’s getting pretty close to the point where I’ll really start fucking myself up. Hell I feel better just smoking only a pack a week, there are days where I just won’t even have a smoke. Of course drinking is THE hardest thing to do sans smoking, so reducing the amount of boos is going to be part of the plan. Hopefully 2 nice weeks left of enjoying the smoke though. :slight_smile:

V

Oh and NY is $6.50 for a CHEAP pack. Marbs will run you $8, or more.

V

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Switch to dip. Real men dip.[/quote]

Don’t…ask yourself if you would rather lose your face or a lung…

[quote]rcsermas wrote:
Try taking some ecstasy and smoking 2 packs of menthols in one night. Sure as hell made me never want a cigarette again.[/quote]

I guarantee I’ve done worse than that bud. I’m past that point haha.[/quote]

Yeah, childsplay with that one…LOL!!