Quiting The BBing Lifestyle...

Your post sounds to me like you are looking for a way out of it.

Honestly, maybe stop complaining on a message board, sit down get your head right and get back in the damn gym.

You seem like you need a lesson in time management also, plan out your day. That might seem like a way of rutting yourself but, well it sorta is and if it keeps you in the gym its for the better.

ya i guess i need to understand both sides of the argument before i make a decision. i never realized that maybe sometime later on in my life itll b 1000000x harder than what it is now.

thx for making me understand my incompetence guys. looks like i got some rethinking to do and reorganizing to do :slight_smile:

Dude…your profile says Highschool student? If thats still the case, wtf are you whining about holy hell.

[quote]B.b. in stress! wrote:
although working out has singly been my favorite hobby of all time, i think its time for me to hang up the coat and just give up. i mean, its just so god damn expensive and time consuming to keep up with this lifestyle.

i not only have to pay for my car insurance (which is 4000 a year), but groceries as well, and i gotta admit its a bit tough with noone hiring me yet for part time work.

idk if i just want to casually work out and do all bodyweight exercises while not really eating a set diet and not caring about bulking or cutting cause i know for a fact that its killing me to balance the three most important things in my life: money, school, and working out.

i dont know what u guys think about it, but its a sad thought that i may end up completing later on.[/quote]

What school are you going to that does not have a free gym for registered students?

[quote]Alex-P wrote:
Dude…your profile says Highschool student? If thats still the case, wtf are you whining about holy hell.[/quote]

High School… buddy come on now you just started.

Honestly I think your best bet is to buy some weights and put them in your house.

Ask your mom to buy you some chicken.

i have a pass at 24-hour fitness guys. also, i thought that college had the most free time: everyone that i know had so much free time on their hands it seemed like not even going to school. but then again, maybe im wrong…

Dude you have no problems ROFLMAO!!!

Quit the gym, buy a 300 lb olympic barbell set at Walmart and do the One Lift a Day workout from Dan John. Deadlifts, cleans, military presses, chin ups (on the door frame or tree limb) rows, curls.

Quit supplements (sorry Biotest) or just get a Metabolic Drive every month. Drink whole milk, trail mix, boil some chicken and add it to a can of chicken noodle soup etc. Egg sandwhiches.

1. Not enough time is BS

2. $4,000 for insurance? I pay less than $600.00 in MA. What the heck do you drive? Is it Italian and red with a little yellow horse on the front? I just bought a '93 Blazer 4x4 for $200.00. Do what it takes to make it work.

3. Get “bodybuilding” out of your head and lift to get stronger. That way all the bulking/cutting/maintaining crap is simplified. Just do a “soft” bulk with foods above. If you add too much fat, run around the block 2-3 times per week. SIMPLE!

groceries don’t need to cost too much…i mean, how much does a big bag of oats cost!?

as other’s said, drop the supps (or just stick to protein powder) there’s tons of stuff you could do to save money.

if you’re really broke, and have a local Y, they’ll often subsidize you’re fee or I know people who have actually got it for free. I used to get my membership free in high school (my school didn’t have a gym) by volunteering to work 2 nights at the local gym for three hours. I got to meet cool people and get a free gym membership.

To the OP - Try making solutions instead of problems.

These guys are right brother. You just need to stay in the gym. INMHO, all you really need to do is keep lifting heavy weight.

If you just make it a point to keep lifting, and nothing else, then you will be much farther than if you quit everything because you cannot handle the “lifestyle.”

Sometimes some things in the “lifestyle” need to be sacrificed in order to focus on just one thing: lifting consistently. Consistent years of quality lifting alone will work wonders over quitting it all.

When there is a will, there is a way. It seems all high schools offer a weight room that can be used after school and the proverbial late bus taken home. Get a job at a gym, your not focused on career at this time. Re-read first sentence of this paragraph. Or, don’t say I cant…replace it with “how can I?”

Do a search for “the secret,” I think thought processes like this can possibly help you.

Good luck Bro.

It’s like this. If you don’t want to lift anymore then fine. I think it’s a mistake, but it doesn’t make you a worthless human being. However you have not given one reason yet beyond “I just don’t have the commitment at this time in my life”.

I know it seems tough from where you’re sitting, but believe me. You have not yet begun to feel responsibility or stress.

I agree with the guys who are telling yo to forget about all the technical details and just eat good food and lift. You have to eat SOMETHING and good food is no more expensive and compared to fast food which is where you’ll probably end up it’s considerably cheaper.

[quote]B.b. in stress! wrote:
i have a pass at 24-hour fitness guys. also, i thought that college had the most free time: everyone that i know had so much free time on their hands it seemed like not even going to school. but then again, maybe im wrong…[/quote]

Depends how good you are at not doing what you’re supposed to be.

Dude, toughen up please. There was a good tip of the day from Dan John I think it was. Something to the effect of the amount of stress you can handle being like a bathtub.

Your body doesn’t know/care where the stress comes from, so if you are going to add weightlifting to your life, you need to take some things out, otherwise you overfill your “bathtub” and make a big mess. Simplify Simplify Simplify.

I would also like to add that I liked whoever said forget about everything just lift weights to get stronger. Bullking and cutting is for bodybuilders or people that are big enough so when they “cut” they don’t weigh 165. Lift weights and get stronger, hard work is what it takes.

In a couple years people literally won’t recognize you and you’ll be happy you stuck it out.

You sicken me with this talk of quitting working out. I work two bloody job, am saving for college, buy my own supps and clothes and pay for other shit like having a few beers once in a while. I also put in money to my parents for the copious amounts of grub I eat.

I find time to workout after working 8 fucking hours in a day, on my feet either moving furniture or selling stuff. I got up at 6 am before to workout back in high school. Sometimes I am tired, often I am stressed out. I still find time to lift and eat a lot of food.

Suck it up, Princess.

I am also in college at the graduate level and work 20 hours each week. I pay my rent, buy my own groceries and still find time to train 4-5 times per week.

I wish I had the mentality to just give up and spend my precious free time being a turd on the couch but for some reason I am still getting up at 4:30 to prepare to workout.

School can be hard and demanding but doesn’t compare to those who work 40+ hours a week and balance work, family, and working out along with other demands. Consider this good practice for life. Its not gonna get easier.

I think I gotta agree with everyone here man. Is it hard? Good. Life is hard. It’s a way of living. Learn to love it lol. Seriously, your just in college…I’m in highschool in my last year…and I’m not going to any other school after that…that’s it for me…but I will be working countless hours on a construction site, and at the same time operating a business.

My sister is in university dude, is getting impressive marks and still finds time to do other shit. You either gotta make a plan for yourself and just manage your time. Did I tell you she has 2 jobs also?

I’ve also worked construciton in the summer…wake up 5:30 come home 6-7…eat, workout, eat, sleep. Repeat. Anyways man, don’t give up…you don’t wanna do that…find it in yourself to overcome this as soon as you can. You can do it, just believe you can. Where there is a will, there is a way brother.

I know this may sound different than some of the other stuff posted, but i graduated high school last year and am now in my first year of college.

For the first half of the year, i kept time to stay in shape. i was working a 20 hr a week job and was paying my parents my share of car insurance. i was also an advanced student, taking AP classes and also taking my math and english classes (college freshman level classes jr. year, sophmore level, including a 3rd semester of calculus my sr. year) at the local community college instead of my public school through a special program offered to me.

I managed to lift 2x a week and go to 1 or 2 karate classes a week. my college classes required me to spend almost as much time sitting in classrooms as some full-time master’s students. I hadn’t really gotten into nutrition yet, but that was more of an ignorance thing, i had the time if i had understood the value more.

Anyway, near the end of my senior year, i was in a similiar situation. i was working 35hrs./week, my classes were nearing finals, especially the AP exams and i had to prepare for graduation. Only when it got that intense did i have to drop my time for physical activity, and had i been willing to give up some more sleep (prob better that i chose the sleep though in light of the studying), i still could have worked out some.

Your situation doesn’t sound as intense as mine though, so you should be able to pull it off. I understand the car insurance thing, at most agencies, the rates for teenagers is completely unfair and ridiculous. Like said though, you don’t need the supplements, and at our age, if we can’t quite get 1g of protein per lb. of bodyweight, we have the testosterone to still progress.

If you want to save money on the grocery bill, don’t completely seclude yourself from the meals cooked in your household for the whole family. See how you can fit them into your eating (take the dinner that mom cooks, eat half one serving, eat the other half later).

Seems my situation was harder, and i didn’t take time off until that last month and a half. I did have to take that time off though, because everything else almost ran me into the ground as it was, trying to make time to drain myself of even more energy would have been bad.

Admittedly, there’s a decent chance you’re more advanced than i was when i finally had to take some time off, but from what you tell us, you still have the freedom and resources to concentrate more on school and at least maintain. If its any consolation though, I will say this, this lifestyle is actually easier for the average college student than it is the average high school student.

you have a lot more control as a college student. you can control your class schedule some at most colleges, and if you have a scholarship or loan to cover all tuition, room, and board, then all you have to pay for is books possibly. part time job money is alot looser that way.

I am starting at a community college to save myself from big loans though, so i may not have as much financial freedom, but i do have the time freedom to train as much as 5 days a week if i want, and i am still a full-time student and still work 30 hours a week on average.

One last point, after my time off, my job started giving me really screwed up schedules that made it awkward to get back into exercising. Because i had gotten out of the habit, i had a hard time getting back into the habit and my overall time management this summer was crappy, partially because i was burnt out, but mostly because i didn’t know how to reorganize my life.

I say this so that you understand, if you truly NEED to take time off, it can’t be helped, but you should AVOID taking time off at best possible. its easiest to get back into a good habit if you never get out of it. If you are wondering, I started training properly again, even better than before actually, when college started, and i have gained at least 5 lbs. of muscle, and am currently on the v-diet ditching the extra fat i had gained from using a less-than clean bulk along the way.

now that i have gotten back into it, and am sticking to it, i find it is easier to stick to.

With all that said, i understand the basic premise from where you are coming from, but you don’t seem to be anywhere the near the point of having to give this up. i was a lot closer than you, and admittedly in retrospect, with more diligence, i probably could have done more to at least stay in shape than i did in that last month and a half of senior year.

BTW, if it helps, there are a couple articles on this site that pertain to people with time restraints, you may want to look into them. I know for sure of time-efficient hypertrophy by joel marion and part-time beast by CT. (i think CT did that, someone please correct me if i am wrong.)

With all that said, don’t give up like i did, get your shit together, and best of luck to you.

I think you should quit.

There are too many of you half assed bitches taking up space as it is.

Don’t just leave, run, Forrest, run!