T Nation

Quit Smoking Cigarettes

I recently stopped smoking regular cigarettes and Thought I would let people know how I did it. I keep seeing these people with these electronic cigarettes, so I decided to give it a try. What I noticed was that I did not get the jitters and feeling that I was missing something.

I can breath great now and only get the nicotine minus all the bad shit in cigarettes. I tried a few different brands of them but settled on one. Also I can smoke this thing anywhere I want and no one can say shit. If you want to check it out here is a link http://www.greensmoke.com/disc10-23252

I just wrote a big long post on this two days ago but I got an error when trying to post and said fuck it.

I too got one to try out. Much cheaper than lozenge or patch for people trying to quit and I do think they are better on the lungs.

However, what you are inhaling is a mixture of propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin. Propylene glycol is what is used to make fog in fog machines. They say it is safe because it is used in a bunch of food stuff and cosmetics like shampoo. I usually don't smoke food or shampoo, so I'm unconvinced of the safety of inhaling this stuff on a daily basis.

I looked at some research, and propylene glycol is metabolized into lactic acid in the human body, which may not be a good thing for a lifter or an athlete. There also haven't been any long term studies on the effects of inhaling it in pretty large amounts over a long time, so until that comes out I'm not going to smart smoking the stuff regularly.

Right now, I would agree that they are superior to cigarettes in that there is less tar in the lungs, less smoke smell over your clothes, house, etc. I also think it is a good way to quit smoking.

Do a google for 'totally wicked'. They have models where instead of buying refill cartridges, you can get bottles of the nicotine juice and fill up your own or direct drip, i.e. drop it right into the atomizer so you don't get inhale burnt sponge when your cartridge gets low.

If you are trying to quit, you can get the juice in different strengths, and just titrate down to nothing.

I think anything that helps people stop smoking cigarettes is a great thing, but I do think that putting anything in your lunges is bad. That's why some of those fire suppressant chemicals were outlawed, because it was harmful to people's lunges. When they did the research later they found out it wasn't anything in the actual chemical so much as it was having foreign junk in people's lunges. I mean, if you were in a room full of baby powder you could die as well. I'm not sure if that's a good comparison, but it popped in my head.

Irregardless, this is an interesting invention. I haven't smoked cigarettes in a long time, but I still smoke Black and Milds on a more than I should basis.

smoking is gross

x2 Smoking is for weaklings

Smoking is good for you. Reduces the risk of running

I hate it when there's foreign junk in my lunges. Especially when I'm doing dumbbell lunges. Foreign junk isn't as bad on barbell lunges, but really bad on dumbbell lunges.

I quit smoking on dbol and winstrol ... I know not a good combo but it worked and I gained some lean mass. It worked really well. That was almost 2 years ago.

I was highly addicted and if I can quit you can too.

I had a coworker whip out one of those smoke filled batteries and suck on it like he was trying to be the cool kid at school. I almost passed out from laughing so hard.

It does the trick. I get my nicotine fix without the bad shit. I haven't had any issues yet, but if I do I will post them.

I smoked for a very long time. It's been 3 1\2 years since I quit. I look back it now and can't believe what an idiot I was. Smoking is disgusting and just plain stupid. Anyway, I woke up one day and instead of having my usual 3 or 4 cigs with my morning coffee decided I'd wait until I got in the car to drive to work to have my first of the day. Once in the car decided I'd wait until my lunch break to have 1. During lunch I decided to wait until the drive home. Etc. 3 and 1\2 years later. Anyone with the will to commit to training for years has what it takes to go cold turkey. After the first 2 weeks it's all good.

My wife quit a few months after I did. I never said a word about it to her. She just ordered the Chantix and said I'm quitting too.

Are you still waiting to have that smoke (:

Nice story and it gives me some hope, I like that approach. I know I have to quit, but I'm trying to gt my head in the place it needs to be to tackle this one.

Prayers and power to you, Di!

I quit 7 years ago (and didn't switch to robot cigarettes) and used the Nicorette gum.

I know many that want to quit but haven't yet think that cold turkey is the way they'll do it, but if you try, give the gum a try.

Also, try the website www.quitnet.com I used it and am still a member because there's a widget that tells how many cigarettes you've NOT smoked since you quit.
Here's my stats:

Time Smoke-Free: 2861 days, 23 hours, 22 minutes and 42 seconds
Cigarettes NOT smoked: 37206
Money Saved: $5,580.90

Though the money saved thing is different for different places. The website asked for my ZIP code and I guess it knows how much cigarettes cost in each ZIP code, but since I'm Canadian I used the only Zip code I know...so those are Beverly Hills prices.

^^Holy shit! Do you see that?!?! 37,206 NOT smoke and that's only 7 years!!!

Chewing FTW

I sort of quit like that too. It was on a whim and I didn't tell anyone. I decided I would have one cigarette in a week and then decide then when I could have another one. I didn't have it in a week and never did until six months later and it was disgusting after lighting it (I put it out after one or two drags) and I knew I was done with smokes. It wasn't easy to get there though.

Not telling anyone really helped because it made me the only one responsible for quitting and so if I failed I was only going to disappoint myself and so there was no reason to secretly cheat. It also took care of that obnoxious thing ex-smokers and non-smokers do when you've quit smoking is talk on and on endlessly about smoking and how they quit or someone they know quit and cigarettes smokes cravings inhaling more smokes blah blah blah...

I still crave cigarettes on a regular basis though and it's been years. It's a very short lived craving and not a big deal.

Stop being a pussy. Just quit.

I didn't tell anyone either. That first night I was home about 2 hours after work and my wife looked at me and asked, have you smoked since you've been home? I said I think I quit smoking today. I also kept my Marlboro reds and lighter with me the whole time. I walked around with that last pack in my pocket for at least 10 days before I finally threw it away.

You can do it once you set your mind to it.