Quinoa

Do you soak your quinoa? Quinoa is gluten-free, but unfortunately high in phytic acid, saponins, tannins etc. Sally Fallon (of WAPF) says that Peruvians consider quinoa toxic unless thoroughly soaked (preferably over 8 hrs).

This animal trial would agree:

“Raw quinoa fed broilers had reduced growth and dramatically reduced survival rates as compared to the washed or polished treatments. Broilers fed washed quinoa performed better than those fed polished quinoa.”
http://www.cipav.org.co/lrrd/lrrd13/1/impr131.htm

(“Washing” in this case meant a quick soak with water changed four times.)

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Nice recipe idea there superjoe, thank you.

Lighten up on the rice though guys, it’s hardly likely to cause beta cell burnout, if there even is such a thing, which is highly debatable.

Hell, rice is even unlikely to lead to insulin resistance. White basmati is fairly low GI, and brown rice is a great source of high-fiber, slow release carbs.

Bushy[/quote]

Interesting. All the data I’ve seen says that Rice has a higher GI and II than both bread and pasta. How exactly does one get Insulin Resistane if not from eating too many high GI and II foods?

Beta cell death is a very real and proven phenomenon.

[quote]Leeuwer wrote:
I eat it around once or twice a week. I really like when I cook it a little longer(and let it soak just a little longer too)and then sprinkle some olive oil over it.

And Quinoa is indeed used a lot by people who are allergic to most grains and/or gluten.[/quote]

My mother-in-law is allergic to quinoa - she told me it’s due to the fact quinoa is related to a strain of grasses that cause allergic reactions in some people.

Here’s a stupid question:

Where are quinoa’s located at the grocery store? Would it be with the rice/grains? I don’t recall ever seeing it at the stores.

It was in the natural/organic section of my grocery store, right by the flaxseed. I think the brand was Bob’s Red Mill, or something like that.

I spent an hour at my local grocery store looking for it… I saw the Bob’s flaxseed meal but no quinoa. Well, I know someone who works at Planet Organic and says they have it in bulk.

Does quinoa really taste like ass? lol

I didn’t like it straight up, but I guess it’s a pretty versatile food. I’m sure you can find a way to make it palatable.

Here’s one that I just found:

I read that it will taste bitter if you don’t soak it in water because of a coating it has to ward off insects. But most packaged quinoa should be ready on the go.

And I just found out this thing is pronounced “keen-wa.” lol

i dont always soak it, you can just rinse it in water! id rinse all the qunioa you get because even a couple packets that i brought that said ‘ready washed’ weren’t, and i had to wash it myself anyway!