T Nation

Quinoa

ive heard rice crushes insulin levels, so firslty wanted to see if any one can confirm this, whether its brown or white. but, the main q was whats the advantages of quinoa, except for the fact thats its high in protein. is it a insulin crusher, basically whats its deal cos ive not tried it yet!

Lol you need to read up on insulin. There is no crushing haha. Quinoa will cause insulin levels to increase less than rice. If for no other reason but the huge fiber content. It also contains protein made up of all 9 essential amino acids. It cooks much faster than brown rice too, which is nice.

[quote]Thomas Gabriel wrote:
Lol you need to read up on insulin. There is no crushing haha. [/quote]

this is taken directly from a replie Tiribulus gave

“And then you have insulin killers like rice on your list.”

he gave this response on another thread where someone asked for thir diet to be reviewed!

Rice would be better termed a pancreas killer.

[quote]bdog527 wrote:

[/quote]

what do you mean?

[quote]MMG wrote:
bdog527 wrote:

what do you mean?
[/quote]

Beta cell burnout, for most of us.

quinoa kicks ass, been eating it for a long time now, i eat it primarily during cutting phases and after workouts. to make tasty quinoa try

1 cup quinoa
1 cup Salsa (not super chunky)
1 cup water
(or some multiple or each)

mix in pot, boil, then simmer till the water is gone. Happily eat and be satisfied.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I think quinoa tastes like ass.

quinoa is low-GI. It is calorie dense though, so be cautious on your serving size.

It comes highly recommended by Dr. Berardi.

Quinoa is great, but Berardi Greens+ also came highly recommend by him…

[quote]Thomas Gabriel wrote:
Quinoa is great, but Berardi Greens+ also came highly recommend by him…[/quote]

True. but seeing as im not a fan of brown rice, i think the nxt best option is quinoa!

Man, I tried quinoa awhile ago. I ate it once, and that night i had the worst migraine of my life. I actually had to walk out of the movie theatre during Die Hard 4 and throw up.

And I’ve gotta say, it would take one hell of a headache to get ME to walk out of a Die Hard movie.

About a month later i tried it again, and the same thing happened. I don’t know if I’m allergic to it or what, but I won’t be eating quinoa again.

[quote]CafeThief wrote:
Man, I tried quinoa awhile ago. I ate it once, and that night i had the worst migraine of my life. I actually had to walk out of the movie theatre during Die Hard 4 and throw up.

And I’ve gotta say, it would take one hell of a headache to get ME to walk out of a Die Hard movie.

About a month later i tried it again, and the same thing happened. I don’t know if I’m allergic to it or what, but I won’t be eating quinoa again.[/quote]

damn that strange! i cant think of why you’d get a headache even tho you might be allergic. unlucky mate!

[quote]CafeThief wrote:

About a month later i tried it again, and the same thing happened. I don’t know if I’m allergic to it or what, but I won’t be eating quinoa again.[/quote]

That’s interesting because I thought one of the benefits of Q is that it is less-likely to cause an allergic reaction? I wouldn’t want to try it again if I were you, but if you do, maybe try a totally different brand and see if there was some additive to it…are you allergic to gluten as well?

I’ve had it and I like the texture. Then again, I think plain oatmeal tastes like cardboard and yet is awesome so maybe I’m weird.

I eat it around once or twice a week. I really like when I cook it a little longer(and let it soak just a little longer too)and then sprinkle some olive oil over it.

And Quinoa is indeed used a lot by people who are allergic to most grains and/or gluten.

today i went into a store and saw red quinoa! WTF! anyone know what the diffecence is?

I think by “insulin killers” trib meant that rice creates a large insulin surge that might lead to “killer” fat gain.

Very calorie dense.

-chris

Threads like this are why I rarely post here these days. What would be the setback of finding out this crap for yourself…10, maybe 15 minutes? FFS, “I’ve heard rice crushes insulin levels”?

quinoa is low-GI. It is calorie dense though, so be cautious on your serving size.

It comes highly recommended by Dr. Berardi.