Quinoa - Thoughts/Opinions?

I have Quinoa with pretty much every meal… Am I overdoing it, could it be giving me too many carbs?

Should I cut the quinoa out? just have more meat/salad. Thoughts are welcome

Heres my diet----

AM- 5-6 scrambled eggs, some chopped veggies, green tea.

Snack- Fruit or Greek Yogurt or both

Lunch- approximately 1/2lb of meat (alternating between ground beef,chicken,pork,sausage), 1/2 cup Quinoa, large salad with balsamic dressing

Snack- Tuna or Ham Sandwhich / sometimes just fruit or nothing.

Dinner- approximately 1/2lb of meat (alternating between ground beef,chicken,pork,sausage), 1/2 cup Quinoa, large salad with balsamic dressing

After dinner snack- possibly fruit, some kind of sandwhich, or greek yogurt

I rarely drink anything other than coffee/water/tea

depends… whats happening to your physique?

I started at 150ish at 5.11" tall. Now I’m 175… I just feel like I’m gaining more body fat than I would like though… My goal was getting to 180-185… but now I’m worried about adding another 10lbs if my body fat keeps going in this direction. I would rather be lean 185

its a very good grain, highest on protein.

Try subbing in lentls or other legumes if you feel the quinoa is detrimental. Experiment. Personally I love the stuff and it’s truly a “superfood.” Is that 1/2c quinoa before or after boiling? The shit expands like crazy.

Anyone else tried quinoa flakes as a direct replacement for oatmeal? ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001JJXDSC/ref=asc_df_B001JJXDSC994674?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=googlecom09c9-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B001JJXDSC ) I’ve been wondering whether these count as a “processed” quinoa…sorta like instant oatmeal…or if it keeps the grain’s benefits. Nutritional labels lists them as identical, but they can be misleading.

[quote]davidpaddok wrote:
I started at 150ish at 5.11" tall. Now I’m 175… I just feel like I’m gaining more body fat than I would like though… My goal was getting to 180-185… but now I’m worried about adding another 10lbs if my body fat keeps going in this direction. I would rather be lean 185[/quote]

How long did it take you to add that 25 pounds?

If you feel/look like you’re gaining too much fat, the “easiest” solution would be to drop the quinoa from dinner, drop the fruit after dinner, and possibly drop the fruit before dinner and/or the quinoa with lunch.

[quote]sstewart22 wrote:
Anyone else tried quinoa flakes as a direct replacement for oatmeal? [/quote]

This looks cool. I’ll check Whole Foods next time I’m there to see if they have it or something similar. Once in a while I’ll have quinoa with diced fruit for breakfast, but this might be a nice change of pace.

Relevant note - FigureAthlete site had an entire article about quinoa:
http://figureathlete.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/diet_and_nutrition/quinoa_the_super_grain

I’ve been hooked on it ever since my vegetarian experiment last year. I’ll usually cook up a 2-3 cup batch on the weekends and go through it during the week.

I have to agree, quinoa is very much a superfood - complete protein and fibre in one source. Like Chris said, I would ditch the evening fruit if you’re worried about fat gain, and keep the quinoa.

Don’t forget squats and milk.