Quinoa & Hemp Seeds

With Quinoa and Hemp seeds being complete sources of protien I’m trying to add both to my diet.
Is it ok to mix both in the same meal?
I know it is reccomended not to mix protien/carbs/fat all in the same meal - With hemp seeds being high in fats and the quinoa being high in carbs would it be advisable not to mix both in the same meal?
I have read on some sites that quinoa is considered low carb so would mixing them be less of of an issue??
Does anyone have any good recipes which use both?

[quote]jay711 wrote:
With Quinoa and Hemp seeds being complete sources of protien I’m trying to add both to my diet.
Is it ok to mix both in the same meal?
I know it is reccomended not to mix protien/carbs/fat all in the same meal - With hemp seeds being high in fats and the quinoa being high in carbs would it be advisable not to mix both in the same meal?
I have read on some sites that quinoa is considered low carb so would mixing them be less of of an issue??
Does anyone have any good recipes which use both?[/quote]

Carb/Fat partitioning is no longer a consensus opinion and appears to be a methodology on the way out.

What does this mean? That putting hemp seeds and quinoa together is a fine idea, supposing it tastes good to one. Go for it.

As to recipes, I have none that include both of those ingredients.

However, the following quinoa recipe is quite good:

Quinoa Salad and Vinegarette
1 cup quinoa
1 sm yellow onion, diced
1 clove garlic
1 zucchini, 1/2 inch pieces
1/4 red bell pepper, 1/2 inch pieces
8 strawberry or cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 scallion, sliced thin
1/4 cup red onion, sm dice
Salt and Pepper

Vinaigrette
Lime Juice and Zest to taste
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
2 Tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
Avocado Oil (Others may be substituted)

Cook the Quinoa, add the veggies, and enjoy.

[quote]Cr Powerlinate wrote:

Carb/Fat partitioning is no longer a consensus opinion and appears to be a methodology on the way out.

.[/quote]

Not as far as I’m concerned it isn’t.

BBB

[quote]bushidobadboy2 wrote:

[quote]Cr Powerlinate wrote:

Carb/Fat partitioning is no longer a consensus opinion and appears to be a methodology on the way out.

.[/quote]

Not as far as I’m concerned it isn’t.

BBB[/quote]

Still holds true for the DC guys too.

[quote]plateau wrote:

[quote]bushidobadboy2 wrote:

[quote]Cr Powerlinate wrote:

Carb/Fat partitioning is no longer a consensus opinion and appears to be a methodology on the way out.

.[/quote]

Not as far as I’m concerned it isn’t.

BBB[/quote]

Still holds true for the DC guys too.[/quote]

As well as Berardi/Precision Nutrition.

[quote]bushidobadboy2 wrote:

[quote]Cr Powerlinate wrote:

Carb/Fat partitioning is no longer a consensus opinion and appears to be a methodology on the way out.

.[/quote]

Not as far as I’m concerned it isn’t.

BBB[/quote]

First: The dominant question was whether or not chia seeds were okay with his Quinoa.

The minimal amount of fat they provide (when used as a supplement) would likely not be enough to even be bringing in to question nutrient partitioning.

Even if that were a concern, the strict nutrition partitioning (no carbs when consuming fat, no fat when consuming carbs) is not a well supported position vis a vis the sensible nutrition partitioning strategy (protein/predominantly fat or protein/predominantly carbs).

Do you have an actual issue with the response (that chia seeds with quinoa would likely be okay) or were you simply looking to be pedantic? The issue here is that he is likely getting tied up in minutiae that simply don’t matter. Next time I’ll try to be a bit more thorough to satisfy those wishing to start arguments, rather than help the original poster.

[quote]bushidobadboy2 wrote:

[quote]Cr Powerlinate wrote:

Carb/Fat partitioning is no longer a consensus opinion and appears to be a methodology on the way out.

.[/quote]

Not as far as I’m concerned it isn’t.

BBB[/quote]
Agreed.

Of all the things that people with great body composition have in common, this has to be number two, with number one being protein intake.

I don’t think separating carb and fat intake to some degree is going out of style any time soon…How many people who are serious about having an impressively lean and muscular physique don’t do this? How many BBers prepping for contest don’t do this?

[quote]andersons wrote:

[quote]bushidobadboy2 wrote:

[quote]Cr Powerlinate wrote:

Carb/Fat partitioning is no longer a consensus opinion and appears to be a methodology on the way out.

.[/quote]

Not as far as I’m concerned it isn’t.

BBB[/quote]
Agreed.

Of all the things that people with great body composition have in common, this has to be number two, with number one being protein intake.

I don’t think separating carb and fat intake to some degree is going out of style any time soon…How many people who are serious about having an impressively lean and muscular physique don’t do this? How many BBers prepping for contest don’t do this?[/quote]

Please explain how <6 grams of fat is going to fundamentally alter his insulin response?

Your own response holds the key to why I said what I said: “to some degree”.

If he is eating a protein/carb meal, will a tbsp or two of chia seeds radically alter the results?

Perhaps I’m missing something, but I’m predisposed to saying ‘no’.

I was not attempting to assault the concept of nutrient partitioning but the strict partitioning he appeared to be advocating. He seemed, as do others, to be missing the forest for the trees.

[quote]Cr Powerlinate wrote:

[quote]andersons wrote:

[quote]bushidobadboy2 wrote:

[quote]Cr Powerlinate wrote:

Carb/Fat partitioning is no longer a consensus opinion and appears to be a methodology on the way out.

.[/quote]

Not as far as I’m concerned it isn’t.

BBB[/quote]
Agreed.

Of all the things that people with great body composition have in common, this has to be number two, with number one being protein intake.

I don’t think separating carb and fat intake to some degree is going out of style any time soon…How many people who are serious about having an impressively lean and muscular physique don’t do this? How many BBers prepping for contest don’t do this?[/quote]

Please explain how <6 grams of fat is going to fundamentally alter his insulin response?

Your own response holds the key to why I said what I said: “to some degree”.

If he is eating a protein/carb meal, will a tbsp or two of chia seeds radically alter the results?

Perhaps I’m missing something, but I’m predisposed to saying ‘no’.

I was not attempting to assault the concept of nutrient partitioning but the strict partitioning he appeared to be advocating. He seemed, as do others, to be missing the forest for the trees.
[/quote]
Um, I am the one who said “to some degree.”

As a short way of saying, no one claims that fat intake in a P+C meal has to be ZERO. Or vice versa. That’s nearly impossible to achieve, and no one claims it’s necessary.

YOU said that carb/fat partitioning is a methodology on the way out. YOUR statement was overgeneralized and incorrect. Hence BBB disagreed with your statement, as do I. You didn’t say “Super strict carb/fat partitioning is on the way out,” but actually even that would be incorrect.

It is not on the way out.

[quote]andersons wrote:

[quote]Cr Powerlinate wrote:

[quote]andersons wrote:

[quote]bushidobadboy2 wrote:

[quote]Cr Powerlinate wrote:

Carb/Fat partitioning is no longer a consensus opinion and appears to be a methodology on the way out.

.[/quote]

Not as far as I’m concerned it isn’t.

BBB[/quote]
Agreed.

Of all the things that people with great body composition have in common, this has to be number two, with number one being protein intake.

I don’t think separating carb and fat intake to some degree is going out of style any time soon…How many people who are serious about having an impressively lean and muscular physique don’t do this? How many BBers prepping for contest don’t do this?[/quote]

Please explain how <6 grams of fat is going to fundamentally alter his insulin response?

Your own response holds the key to why I said what I said: “to some degree”.

If he is eating a protein/carb meal, will a tbsp or two of chia seeds radically alter the results?

Perhaps I’m missing something, but I’m predisposed to saying ‘no’.

I was not attempting to assault the concept of nutrient partitioning but the strict partitioning he appeared to be advocating. He seemed, as do others, to be missing the forest for the trees.
[/quote]
Um, I am the one who said “to some degree.”

As a short way of saying, no one claims that fat intake in a P+C meal has to be ZERO. Or vice versa. That’s nearly impossible to achieve, and no one claims it’s necessary.

YOU said that carb/fat partitioning is a methodology on the way out. YOUR statement was overgeneralized and incorrect. Hence BBB disagreed with your statement, as do I. You didn’t say “Super strict carb/fat partitioning is on the way out,” but actually even that would be incorrect.

It is not on the way out.
[/quote]

I was quoting you - hence the quotation marks and the phrase ‘your own response’.

I am certainly allowed to make an observation; hence the word ‘appears’ in my original post. My observation may certainly be wrong (as you have pointed out) but recent articles and conversations here provide some support for it.

Once again, however, another post not addressing the OP’s concern. Great.

How about this:

Nutrient partitioning is not endorsed by all, but is a very popular nutritional technique. Recent conversations and articles here, as well as research, have suggested it may not be as advantageous as previously believed. That being said, a large number of people still follow the practice - myself included.

Once again, however, it is completely irrelevant as to whether or not one sprinkles chia seeds in one’s quinoa.

Happy?

By the way the original question was not wether or not I should mix Chia seeds with Quinoa but if I should mix Hemp seeds with Quinoa.

Judging from the original questions, you need to learn more about nutrition. I’m going to assume that since you’re interested in the protein content of quinoa and hemp seeds that you are eating a vegetarian or vegan diet. If that’s the case, you are probably not going to have the luxury of separating carbs and fats anyway. I do not see any way to consider quinoa “low carb.” I don’t have the stats memorized and don’t feel like looking them up right now, but as I remember it, quinoa is high in carbs and not even very high in fiber.