T Nation

Quick Training Question

I am openly admitting that this is an unintelligent question.

Recently, through career and life, I have been experiencing bouts of anxiety and stress.

Due to that anxiety, I have experienced minor muscle and strength loss. I have lost 5 pounds over the last week and were I could bench press 315 pounds for an easy 20 reps, I can now do 325 for a struggling 18. IE .. im feeling the anxiety

Will my muscle mass and strength return 100% once the anxiety stops or will I never be back to 100% strength?

The strength loss and weight loss have caused me additional stress due to an upcoming meet.

[quote]Crankk wrote:
I am openly admitting that this is an unintelligent question.

Recently, through career and life, I have been experiencing bouts of anxiety and stress.

Due to that anxiety, I have experienced minor muscle and strength loss. I have lost 5 pounds over the last week and were I could bench press 315 pounds for an easy 20 reps, I can now do 325 for a struggling 18. IE … im feeling the anxiety

Will my muscle mass and strength return 100% once the anxiety stops or will I never be back to 100% strength?

The strength loss and weight loss have caused me additional stress due to an upcoming meet.[/quote]

People rarely reach their maximum strength potential so it’s likely you can get back to where you were. If you’re experiencing a lot of stress outside of lifting, sometimes it’s good to ease off a bit instead of continuing to go full throttle. Mental stress can be just as taxing as physical stress.

315 for 20… 325 for 18… sounds about right. Maintained or even gained some strength. Is this a joke?

I find it hard to believe someone who is benching about 500 lbs has never had an “off” day.

[quote]TheAugustKid wrote:
315 for 20… 325 for 18… sounds about right. Maintained or even gained some strength. Is this a joke? [/quote]

I second this.

yes, it’s stupid. i know. it was a stupid thought to have. I think i got into my own head a little too much.

My coach says the same - that im my own worst enemy. I’ll be the first to admit that im a little ‘tweaked’ in the head.

I go through these bouts of anxiety and then, in my head, thoughts of ‘you just took a step backwards’ start to creep in … along with not reaching full potential because of that anxiety. Takes me a day or two to snap out of it.

Well if you’re serious then you haven’t lost any strength at all. And even if you did, shit happens. You can’t always improve every week.