T Nation

Quick Smolov Question Urgent

I am lifting at home right now and just failed the first set of the second to last day of smolov, what do I do? Do I lower the weight, just rest for a few days and max or what? My warm ups were painful in groin/inner thigh and the first three reps of the set was a sharp pain there.

lol. I suggest you start Smolov over in a week and use 90% of your max as your max.

Did you “fail” from the weight or did you get injured? It sounds like you are injured, in which case, you probably ought to stop now, ice, and make an assessment after you know the extent of the injury.

[quote]Ethan7X wrote:
lol. I suggest you start Smolov over in a week and use 90% of your max as your max.[/quote]
So I start with a 270 pound high bar atg squat as the max used, go through the first week easily, second week was hard, then third week extremely easy until now, only to try again with 10% less weight? Ethan, you are a troll. I am not sure if I had gotten a serious injury, but the area doesn’t feel normal it is now hotter the the rest of the body and minor pain. It also wasn’t failing but me stopping the rep from the pain.

DSSG, its no shame to get injured during Smolov. Its designed to take you to the brink and there is a risk it pushes you over. Like I said, get it iced, see how you are doing tomorrow, and reassess. You might be too hurt to continue and you might not. I know how much effort goes into the base cycle and what a let down getting hurt must be, but if you are hurt you are hurt, and you need to take care to not get hurt worse.

[quote]Ethan7X wrote:
lol. I suggest you start Smolov over in a week and use 90% of your max as your max.[/quote]

Is there some reason to be a dick here I don’t know about? The guy is running a hard program and pulled something, why is this funny and how is this comment productive?

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Ethan7X wrote:

Is there some reason to be a dick here I don’t know about? The guy is running a hard program and pulled something, why is this funny and how is this comment productive? [/quote]

He is almost a squat expert now so I think he has room to LOL. There are 2 different threads he started recently about squats.

1. Powerful Women - About how his lady friend is going to get up to 200x20 in squats to build bigger legs

2. Bodybuilding - How squats are useless for building size and people with small legs can squat 500

Squats are useless to build size? DAMMIT! All the wasted time!

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Ethan7X wrote:

Is there some reason to be a dick here I don’t know about? The guy is running a hard program and pulled something, why is this funny and how is this comment productive? [/quote]

Wait… so the OP says they failed on his first set and specifically asked if he should drop the weight. Someone replied to do just that and now you say that he’s being a dick, implied that he is being “funny” … wow.

So, DSSG did the weight feel heavy or do you just think that you possibly just didn’t warm up sufficiently?

Yeah man, maybe do some icing, stretching and some light rehab stuff and attack it again in a day or two? That’s what I’d do.

I missread your original post and thought you failed on the Second to last day of the first week. I’m sorry for that, that’s why my answer seemed weird. If you look at it in my perspective, then maybe you would see why it makes sense that I said to start over with 90% of your max since you would have only done 2 training sessions at that point…

Also I’m not a squat expert,I’ve only done 405,but I have ran Smolov before.If you look at my response in the context I answered it,you would see why I said what I did sorry lol

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Ethan7X wrote:

He is almost a squat expert now so I think he has room to LOL. There are 2 different threads he started recently about squats.

1. Powerful Women - About how his lady friend is going to get up to 200x20 in squats to build bigger legs

2. Bodybuilding - How squats are useless for building size and people with small legs can squat 500[/quote]

Some people never learn. This week I’m pretty sure I saw him advise a beginner to consider Sheiko.

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Ethan7X wrote:

Wait… so the OP says they failed on his first set and specifically asked if he should drop the weight. Someone replied to do just that and now you say that he’s being a dick, implied that he is being “funny” … wow.

So, DSSG did the weight feel heavy or do you just think that you possibly just didn’t warm up sufficiently?

Yeah man, maybe do some icing, stretching and some light rehab stuff and attack it again in a day or two? That’s what I’d do.

[/quote]
It had felt heavy. I think I will just let it heal up, (actually did slightly pull something from how it feels) go through with the last day of smolov jr for bench press then just max both on the same day, and whatever I get out of it I will get. Ah, sorry about that Ethan I do see how it would be understandable if it was the first week, I had meant to last day of the base mesocycle. Yeah will be icing it tonight along with hot baths and/or heating pad.

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Ethan7X wrote:

[/quote]

Ok, so I’m an old fucker and sometimes I don’t get the internet and “lol.” It looked to me like the OP was saying he pulled something or got injured near the very end of a hard program, which I know from personal experience is a major downer, and then got a “lol” at the start of the sentence–which I interpreted as I’m laughing at you not with you–drop the weight and start over next week. It seemed a bit mocking to me and unjustified, but now that I see his clarification I guess he wasn’t just trying to be a dick. So my bad, I guess, but its just hard for the reader sometimes when author doesn’t clearly express his thoughts.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

Ok, so I’m an old fucker and sometimes I don’t get the internet and “lol.”
[/quote]

I feel you man, it happens and no worries.

DSSG IN NO FUCKING WAY SHOULD YOU LISTEN TO ETHANX SERIOUSLY

WTF GTFO, I was done trying to troll him off this site but are you kidding me.

DSSG I am a Smolov fanatic, love it, always tell people to try it.

Some times its not going to feel well. Literally rest 10 fucking minutes. Im not even joking. Take a 10 minute break, do agile 8, then try again.

Smolov fries your CNS by the end. Its rough but grind it out. Dont get injured, but know when you can push yourself further

AGAIN with anything Lifting related DO NOT LISTEN TO ETHANx his avi should show enough, but seirously read through the Smolov threads we have spoken about failure reps ect.

GL

Jesus Christ you guys get butthurt easily, minus the “lol” it’s not TERRIBLE advice.

OP, I’d venture to say you weren’t taking proper recovery measures like stretching and ice baths. Lesson learned.

Normally if not always did light stuff (stuff with an empty bar just to get better mobility)as a warm up, then a light complex followed by a very light squat working up to around where my working set is. Walked some every day (slow pace just so I am doing something instead of just sit around which was making me really bloody stiff) along with some bar work on days I don’t lift. I had taken hot baths, massaged whatever was sore/tight that I could reach and occasionally had other people give me massages for my back. (worst place as far as tightness and soreness goes) I had done some stuff that didn’t irritate my adductors (it doesn’t bother them to do pulling exercises but it does for anything that requires keeping my knees from caving in) I finished the last day of smolov junior, and think I will just max both. (if I’m better by then if not just the bench press)